I am new to this forum. I am working on my first dedicated home theater in my basement. Here's some information on the room.
Room dimensions: L= 22.29' , W=14.56', H (to soffits) =8.73', H (to ceiling): 9.73'
Left & right soffits: 16.88' (L), 3.45' (W), 1' (H); right soffit houses HVAC ducts and plumbing.
Rear soffit: 15.23' (L), 5.42' (W), 2' (H); houses HVAC ducts.
Seating plan: 3 home theater reclining seats (I haven't decided on brand yet) in front row-directly on floor
3-seat sofa on a 108" x 72"x 7" riser
Floor: carpet except a small rectangular area (not sure of dimensions yet) at the double French door will have hardwood.
Screen: ~110 -115"; 6:9; painted
There will be a closet behind the screen wall.
Projector: Epson 8350
DVD Player: Panasonic BDT-220
Energy RVSS bipolar surrounds
Energy A3+2 bipoles fronts
Energy center channel
1 subwoofer: Paradigm PDR12
AV cabinet will be behind the rear side door
I am planning to install RC-8 resilient channel, 5/8" and 1/2" drywall on the ceiling, front, left and rear walls. Exterior wall with windows will have double drywall but no RC-8.
I plan to put 2 Billy book cases (IKEA) on the rear wall either side of the door and fill with books to serve as diffusors.
1. I plan to build bass traps in the left soffit and possibly the rear soffit (close to double French door). I have read several threads on bass traps but am still unclear on the actual
construction within the soffit. Please provide a detailed description (include pictures/sketch) on how you built your bass traps. Will 2 ports on the bottom and side of the bass trap close to the tri corner be effective as apposed to doing a fabric covering (e.g., GOM) on the entire bottom?
2. Do I need to install RC-8 on a soffit that will be used as a bass trap?
3. The 3 windows will be covered with wood blinds and velour curtains. I would like to build 2 columns between the windows and have sconces mounted on them. There will be matching
columns on the opposite wall. Any suggestions on column depth considering the curtains will be touching or close to them?
4. Riser (7" high) will double as a bass absorber with ports in each joist bay. Will R13 insulation be okay for this purpose?
5. Acoustic treatments for primary reflections points:
1" OC 703 on fabric wrapped frames. Will this suffice or do I need to do some intricate calculations before deciding on these treatments?
I want to complete the project this summer and would appreciate any advice you can provide.