Ideas / Help sound proofing A/V rack ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 652
I'm in process of designing my theater and one question I have is what do people do to minimize the sound from AV rack ?

I'm going to have a HTPC and server in my rack - and also a few amps and such. It's all got fans that make noise.

My theater is set to be 32x24' - I want to keep the equipment and rack in the room.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very good question!!!!

I'd like some input on this as well
post #3 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
That room space makes for a huge theater.
post #4 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm putting a solid door over the rack (in a closet with the front looking into the theater through the soundproof wall) this time around. It will probably be made to look like the wall treatment (fabric over acoustical panels). The closet will be lined with Linacoustic duct liner board.

In my last theater I used the smoked plexiglas doors that Middle Atllantic makes for the Slim 5 racks. That worked well, but that theater had no soundproofing, so the noise floor was significantly higher than what I expect in the new one.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post

That room space makes for a huge theater.

smile.gif

I'm planing four chairs in front row, couch and two chairs second, and about 8 folding seats in third row. Then a full bar area in back with a counter facing the screen against back of third row. Also a false screen wall.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'd like to keep my rack in the Theater. Possible in front (fake screen wall built in)

Or sides ...

I'm just looking for good way to make it silent

-

post #7 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I'd like to keep my rack in the Theater. Possible in front (fake screen wall built in)

Or sides ...

I would definitely make sure your rack has a door if your placing it in the front. All the lights on the little gadgets can get annoying when trying to watch a movie in a dark room
post #8 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You should PM BigmouthinDC, I am certain he can advise you properly. The face of my rack will be in the room and the body will be in its own room. We sound proofed the rack room so I am assuming this will decrease the amount of unwanted sound in the theater room. From what I was told, some equipment fans can be a bit noisy, but in my case I more than likely will not use my rack fans at all.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhall5150 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Or sides ...

I would definitely make sure your rack has a door if your placing it in the front. All the lights on the little gadgets can get annoying when trying to watch a movie in a dark room

For this reason I thought the side or rear side made sense. Also closer to projector and easier for future proofing. I'm going to have a PC in back of theater too. If like to make it quiet and rack mount it. It doesn't have to be built into the room.

I'd actually prefer it to be not built in. I just don't want rack noise polluting my theater

-

post #10 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post

You should PM BigmouthinDC, I am certain he can advise you properly. The face of my rack will be in the room and the body will be in its own room. We sound proofed the rack room so I am assuming this will decrease the amount of unwanted sound in the theater room. From what I was told, some equipment fans can be a bit noisy, but in my case I more than likely will not use my rack fans at all.

Thanks for advice!

My issue is I don't have a room really I can use as equipment room. Unless I steal space from wife closet lol. She's not cool with that.

It's better to keep it in the room in my case.

-

post #11 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If I were to try to put a rack inside the room, I would put sides on the rack, and door front and back. I would probably use some of the automotive sound deadening materials (VibraBlock, etc) on the inside of the sheet metal sides and doors to deaden them. Your problem will be providing adequate ventilation. Maybe some variation on a dead vent for the air intake and exit points from the rack.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would vote for a little closet built within the room, specially for the AV rack. Make sure it is properly vented.

Also, with the full bar in the back, I assume you will have a fridge or a mini fridge? Be aware that those guys also pump out some serious noise, might want to reconsider and/opr think about how to minimize the sounds coming from it.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm debating the fridge. Great points and I'll look to sound proof for sure.

I might have a draw curtain in the back to seperate the bar area from the theater. I could close it to help when it's just me smile.gif.

-

post #14 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

If I were to try to put a rack inside the room, I would put sides on the rack, and door front and back. I would probably use some of the automotive sound deadening materials (VibraBlock, etc) on the inside of the sheet metal sides and doors to deaden them. Your problem will be providing adequate ventilation. Maybe some variation on a dead vent for the air intake and exit points from the rack.

Great advice ... Much appreciated

-

post #15 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 03:31 PM

I've had luck using these on the pellet stove and some of our DJ road racks with very good results

http://www.acoustic-material.com/HTML/noise-damping.html

You might try attaching some of these sheets to the inside of the rack to control fan noise. For me, I like showing off my components but then again I'm a Wedding DJ and I like the look of having them exposed.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I do like the look of showing off the equipment.

I'm playing with design to place it behind the first two rows and facing sideways towards center room.

-

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page