Speakers - build in or not? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am concerned about sound proofing, have all that under control, or will shortly. But, should I go with wall/floor mounted speakers, or in wall systems. I am afraid an in wall speaker set up will not have the sound protection I need.

I am building a faux wall for the front speakers, center channel, and screen, so that should be okay.

Thanks

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
For what it's worth, I would never use built in speakers 1) the holes would negate the sound proofing of my room unless you build backer boxes and 2) you would be locked into those speakers ...FOREVER, without major renovations to fit a replacement or upgraded speaker set.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Sometimes it's easier to hide a real speaker behind a false column ..

F C R behind screen.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 20 Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I have to agree with the above comments. If you are concerned with sound proofing, I wouldn't use built-ins. You have to do backer boxes for all of them and then whats the point. Regular speakers usually sound better anyway.

Hiding behind a false wall takes care of the front easy enough. The side/rear speakers are usually small, so hiding them in columns is of course an option but not necessary. They can just be wall mounted. Depends on your overall design and budget of course.

Do you only care about sound-PROOF-ing or do you want do also do acoustical treatments to deal with bass absorption, reflection points, etc?
post #5 of 20 Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I did see some false wall set-ups w/screen for the front. I liked the idea and will go that route. I like the idea of hiding speakers in columns, very cool.

Any suggestions on speakers? Actually sites that have good deals. Looking to spend no more than 2-3k at the top end.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-29-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Assuming your just using normal speaker grill type cloth to conceal them you can probably go with any speaker you like.

Placement effects sound so your speaker choice and intended placement is all that matters.

I'd guess any popular quality brand surround speaker that's designed to mount on side or real wall would conceal fine inside a false column. Just remove the MFG grill so you don't have double grills killing your high end.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 20 Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like a plan..:-)

Still deciding where to put AV rack, any thoughts?

BTW thanks for all the advice...
post #8 of 20 Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallus2000 View Post

With the rack, the major things you need to consider are:
1) Making sure the front lights on the rack aren't visible while you are watching a movie (Make it behind you if it is in the room, or if it is on the side or front, make sure that it is covered with a door or something) - This is also accomplished by many by having it in a hallway going to the room or in an adjacent room. Even if it is in the back of the room, some of those blue LED lights some components have can be amazingly bright!
2) Making sure you can get behind the rack. You can either have it recessed into a wall somewhere and have a rack that pulls out and rotates, have a free standing rack in a closet where you can see both sides, or have it so you can see the front from one room and the back from another room. Just make sure that if you put any part of your rack in your main theater, that you consider soundproofing when you do it. IE: If you cut out a hole from your theater into another room, that the other room is soundproofed or all of your sound will go right through that rack hole. ANY hole you have in your theater walls could leak sound and needs to be considered.

As for speaker brands... that is an entirely different can of worms. Every person has their own personal favorite and reasons why they like them. Some people build their own speakers, some like brand X or brand Y, and others hate those same brands. Decide on a budget and post it in the speaker forums and watch how many dozens of different answers you get!
post #9 of 20 Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

All good stuff. I do have a few options for the AV rack. Also placement of the projector/seating. I have 14 feet from sid to side and 22 feet front to back. Now the obvious choice is front to back, but I can only do 3 seats front and back. If I go side to side, then I can place 6 seats in a curve. Looking at the Panasonic PT-AE8000U 3D LCD Projector/ it has a decent throw distance at 14 feet, 120 inch I believe.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Quote:

With the rack, the major things you need to consider are:
1) Making sure the front lights on the rack aren't visible while you are watching a movie (Make it behind you if it is in the room, or if it is on the side or front, make sure that it is covered with a door or something) - This is also accomplished by many by having it in a hallway going to the room or in an adjacent room. Even if it is in the back of the room, some of those blue LED lights some components have can be amazingly bright!
2) Making sure you can get behind the rack. You can either have it recessed into a wall somewhere and have a rack that pulls out and rotates, have a free standing rack in a closet where you can see both sides, or have it so you can see the front from one room and the back from another room. Just make sure that if you put any part of your rack in your main theater, that you consider soundproofing when you do it. IE: If you cut out a hole from your theater into another room, that the other room is soundproofed or all of your sound will go right through that rack hole. ANY hole you have in your theater walls could leak sound and needs to be considered.

As for speaker brands... that is an entirely different can of worms. Every person has their own personal favorite and reasons why they like them. Some people build their own speakers, some like brand X or brand Y, and others hate those same brands. Decide on a budget and post it in the speaker forums and watch how many dozens of different answers you get!

Awesome advice!

I'm going though these issues now. I'm considering making an AV closet for the rack inside the theater room. I'm thinking behind the last row .. In front on the bar area and facing the side - so lights don't look very visible when watching movies.

I'm going to do some sketches now and will be posting when I have some specific questions here : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474276/need-help-with-some-basic-design-and-beginner-questions-help/0_50#post_23372208

-

post #11 of 20 Old 05-30-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Awesome advice!

I'm going though these issues now. I'm considering making an AV closet for the rack inside the theater room. I'm thinking behind the last row .. In front on the bar area and facing the side - so lights don't look very visible when watching movies.

I'm going to do some sketches now and will be posting when I have some specific questions here : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474276/need-help-with-some-basic-design-and-beginner-questions-help/0_50#post_23372208

Also, don't forget about your remotes. Depending on the angle or where you put your rack, you may have to turn backwards or have issues directly pointing your remote at your A/V equipment from your seat. So don't forget to put in a wire for an IR blaster or something since your equipment won't be right in front of you like you are used to. With TV, this is VERY annoying, it's also a little frustrating in DVD/Blu Ray menus.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have this issue now^. Normally I can just point at my screen ( Simple Dalite Cinemavision) and the IR bounces off to the equipment behind me (facing forward)

But that is my current set up.

My new set up I think I'll need to do some professional IR repeater type thing.

-

post #13 of 20 Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

All good stuff. I do have a few options for the AV rack. Also placement of the projector/seating. I have 14 feet from sid to side and 22 feet front to back. Now the obvious choice is front to back, but I can only do 3 seats front and back. If I go side to side, then I can place 6 seats in a curve. Looking at the Panasonic PT-AE8000U 3D LCD Projector/ it has a decent throw distance at 14 feet, 120 inch I believe.

What is more important ?? Screen distance ? Or number of seats ?

-

post #14 of 20 Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

I want to say both, but seating is prime.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-01-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You really only have two prime seats in sweet spot. Do do you want second row? Or more on the sides?

-

post #16 of 20 Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking of going the longer length. I saw a post on here, whereas, someone did three seats on a cirve, built a curved paltform around them and had the second row of three behind. I would then put a set of steps leading up the the second row from the door. I was undecided until you mentioned the sweet spot, thanks!
post #17 of 20 Old 06-01-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That sounds like it would work.

-

post #18 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Ok, I'll chime in on this one. First, I almost always was inwall speakers for all the designs I do. You don't HAVE to place them in a wall. Choose your speakers wisely, and inwalls are just as good, if not better from a physics point of view, than free standing. Second, arrange your room correctly and there will be no "sweet spot". All of your seats will enjoy the same sonic performance. Third, it matters signifcantly what you choose for a speaker if you decide to put it in a column. Many speakers, dipole especially, have wide coverage patterns. Most of those are intended to go on a wall and not in a column. Hope this helps!
Metallus2000 likes this.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #19 of 20 Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

Ok, I'll chime in on this one. First, I almost always was inwall speakers for all the designs I do. You don't HAVE to place them in a wall. Choose your speakers wisely, and inwalls are just as good, if not better from a physics point of view, than free standing. Second, arrange your room correctly and there will be no "sweet spot". All of your seats will enjoy the same sonic performance. Third, it matters signifcantly what you choose for a speaker if you decide to put it in a column. Many speakers, dipole especially, have wide coverage patterns. Most of those are intended to go on a wall and not in a column. Hope this helps!

Do you think a dipole on the wall is better than a normal speaker in a false column or an inwall ?
Metallus2000 likes this.

-

post #20 of 20 Old 06-05-2013, 01:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Completely depends on the situation. Every room is different! smile.gif

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout