squeezing in to a new dedicated home theater - - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 87 Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I have four supplies off my main line with a 10" return in my Ht. I generally switch the fan from auto to on to circulate the air up stairs and it still gets a bit warm. My gear is outside the room so just the PJ and 8 adults.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 12-23-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
is there any reason for me to need an extension rod for the pj mount? our last home had one but the stage area had a 12 in drop from the ceiling so i am thinking the rod was so the pj could get below that - i am more than likely wall mounting the screen and do not plan on having anything above it that could block the image.

any thoughts?

if i do decide to make a false wall it would only be about 12 in from the wall - if i did that and added insulation between the wall and screen would i gain a bit more noise reduction for the room on the other side of the wall?

thanks

post #63 of 87 Old 12-23-2013, 11:29 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Projector height relative to the screen is a function of the vertical shift capability of the projector and the Panny is pretty generous. However if you decide to do a wide-screen 2.35 with an acoustically transparent screen on your contemplated false wall there are limits to keep in mind. If the lens is even with the top edge of the screen it will never be a problem doing the zoom method CIH. Check the owners manual. IMHO buy a mount using a 1 1/2 threaded pipe down pole and you can start with the shortest pole which is a couple of inches and swap it out if you need longer for under $10, Spray paint the Home Depot off the shelf pipe black.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #64 of 87 Old 12-24-2013, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

thanks big - not sure about doing CHI - when i get in the house and really have a chance to take some measurements I will see if that is something that I can fit with my av equip and movie shelves on each side- it will not be an AT screen since the speakers are in ceiling so the possible false wall is to see if any treatment behind the screen would have an impact on the adjacent room. even though i am not dd and gg i did add insulation to all the walls and was not sure adding additional insulation would have a benefit. If not then the screen will be wall mounted. I will look for a shorter pole so that i have options if i change anything later on - and now i can order the mount -

post #65 of 87 Old 12-24-2013, 05:13 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

They sell a pipe that is basically not much more than the threads on both ends. I like the Chief Brand Mounts

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #66 of 87 Old 12-24-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I am using a Peerless Universal mount and 1 1/4 threaded pipe with 1 1/2 inch adapter my HD did not have 1 1/2 pipe. Check my thread

post #67 of 87 Old 12-29-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

I ordered the peerless mount and will and ceiling plate and will add the pole from hd and paint it - thanks for the rec on that -

for the hdmi cable - i am all set on the short ones but for the long run i am needing one that is 25-30 ft to run though the ceiling tube from the pj to receiver - i used bjc at my last home - between $80-$100 - should i consider monoprice or not bother? will i get the same quality with the price difference? thanks

post #68 of 87 Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I'm happy with the Ultra Slim RedMere cable I got from Monoprice. Considerably cheaper than the BJC you referenced.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #69 of 87 Old 12-29-2013, 09:14 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I had good luck with a 30 ft Redmere, wasn't the ultra thin but it was thin. be sure to follow the arrows as it is directional.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #70 of 87 Old 12-29-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

thanks spaceman and big - just placed the order - $40 is a lot better then $100.....i will make sure to look for the arrows - in one of the reviews on the site someone mentioned that one device needed to be on before the other for the entire signal to be seen - is that the case in an HT (they were referring to a comp i think).

post #71 of 87 Old 12-29-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Yes, I sometimes have trouble getting video if the projector is the last device to come on. I just switch to a different input on the receiver and then back again to get the signal to show up. But it's not a partial signal. It's either a blue screen with no signal or a full signal.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #72 of 87 Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ok..then i should make sure that i have my harmony programed to turn my pj on first and have the avr follow.

post #73 of 87 Old 06-23-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any updates? I'm interested as I just moved into a new house with a room for my new home theater almost exactly the same dimensions as yours... considerably smaller than my last home theater. Would love to see your progress.
post #74 of 87 Old 08-26-2014, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

yes yes - i do have some updates....but not much in the way of the theater - I will take some pics to show where I am at and some updated sketchup plans -

We did not move in until the end of dec and had a lot of issues with some pretty bad drywallers that put a lot of other things on the shelf for a bit - we had to have our master shower re-tiled as it was not level and was puddling. they had to redo the entire ceiling that is above the 2 story living room and the upstairs play room that looks over to the living room - you could see waves and what looked like the shape of the beams shaping the ceiling - so it looked liked a scene from dexter in the house with plastic on the walls and floors and scaffolding in the living room. The kitchen wall tile had to be corrected and a few other things thoughout the house. Keep in mind that this was after we moved in so trying to keep our 5 kiddos away from it was was a lot of fun - the builder did take care of it but it was a very long and annoying process -

So we decided to build a pool and a fire pit to enjoy the summer - i will post pics of that soon as well -

as for the theater i just painted the ceiling and screen wall then mounted the pj and that is about it - i am surprised that the image looks as good as it does on the black textured walls - there are only beanbags in there now but the kids like to play the xbox and watch movies in there - I have also played a lot on the xbox and am quite pleased though I have not watched much, nor have I done anything to calibrate the speakers and avr - no point at this time - but I will say that I am surprised at how well the in ceiling speakers sound - we do not listen at reference levels - but it sounds pretty good to me - I will need add a sub as these speakers are not that great on the low end, given the design, but overall I am happy with our choice - It was a bit having the sounds come from above but you get used to it pretty quickly and when we have chairs I think. So that is where I am at - I will get some pics together and share what I have in mind today or tomorrow -

post #75 of 87 Old 08-26-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We are about to pour slab on our home and have plans for a small theater similar to yours. it sits on the second floor above a three car garage with 2 exterior walls and 2 walls butting against bedrooms. Im not big movie or music guy but we need to fill up the room for its intended purpose. The room is situated alot like yours and i wanted to ask about your soundproofing. What did u ended up using to contain the sound and now that u are in the room, are the benefits what u expected. I dont need a sound tight room but do want to do something to contain some of the sound.
post #76 of 87 Old 08-26-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Honestly all I did was use solid core doors and had insulation added to the interior walls - due to the room size, cost, work, and tbh not really caring if it is fully sound proofed did not do anything else - like I mentioned the builder would not do the needed things like double drywall, staggered studs, room in a room etc and we knew that we would not rip out drywall after the fact - -While I can hear it outside the room it is not overly bothersome and is muffled and the volume in the room is plenty for us to enjoy...I am hoping that after I finish the build with the riser, stage and stage wall, chairs, screen, and a few fabric posters/acoustic panels, bass traps (corner and maybe riser) and linacoustics on the screen wall that the room will sound better and that the sound outside the room muffles a bit more.

If I had an unfinished basement or another area that was more separate from the house I would have done more but as is I think I will be good -

post #77 of 87 Old 08-26-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesamarai View Post
We are about to pour slab on our home and have plans for a small theater similar to yours. it sits on the second floor above a three car garage with 2 exterior walls and 2 walls butting against bedrooms. Im not big movie or music guy but we need to fill up the room for its intended purpose. The room is situated alot like yours and i wanted to ask about your soundproofing. What did u ended up using to contain the sound and now that u are in the room, are the benefits what u expected. I dont need a sound tight room but do want to do something to contain some of the sound.
check my thread I went all the way with sound proffing a coustom made theater over the garage. If you can since the slab is just pured you want the exterior walls of the garage to be 1 1/2 storie this will give you the bigest possible bonus room above. I also had them lower the ceiling in my work shop/3rd garage this gave me a built in riser. To answer your question yes I can be playing at referance and just barly hear the sound out side the thearter door (not the LF it soulds more like thunder). I only did an aditional layer of 3/4" T&G with GG on the floor not the serenty mats so you hear a dull roar in the garage but who cares. I still need to add another 3/4" layer of MDF and get my door seal then I can crank the base (LF) when my wife is in bed. jump over to my thread if you have questions.

Last edited by cw5billwade; 08-26-2014 at 09:18 AM.
post #78 of 87 Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 PM

thanks for the response, in a perfect world i would go all out with no all expenses spareed into this home theater but honestly, neither i or my wife watch alot of tv or movies. but we have a HT room in this 5000 sq ft house so we got to put something in there.
post #79 of 87 Old 08-26-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

no problem - we actually use ours a lot - more so than our reg tv but going in the direction we are going will fill our needs well without breaking the bank - our home ended up being about 4800 sq ft but we intended there to be a ht worked in...it is not a custom home so we went with the variations that were available -

post #80 of 87 Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

here are a few shots of the interior of the house just before we moved in and the pool we put in a few months after - we have had a ton of fun in it - you can see the top of the fire pit area out side the cage of the pool - doing this pushed the ht build back but it is worth it - we will be swimming though oct - maybe later :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0101.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	232609   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0088.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	232617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7415.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	232625   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7755.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	232633   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3299.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	232641  

Last edited by iamjason; 08-27-2014 at 07:10 PM.
post #81 of 87 Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 AM

Congrats, beautiful house. I really like your tiles and wall colors. gotta show this to the wife, since we are debating color schemes now. Like the tile inlay within the hardwood floors.
post #82 of 87 Old 08-28-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

we had an inlay at our last home and love that we have it here as well - on thing to keep in mind is that the tile inlay can be surrounded by wood or tile but not laminate - we had originally selected laminate but when a neighbor was having his house built was told that laminate floats and is not adhered so the 2 could not butt up to the other without some other border like you would use for a threshold - not sure how the builder did not know this when we made the selection but just something to keep in mind. We did some other tile features in the kitchen and master bath and it adds a nice look -I will take a pic of the kitchen one -

Here are a few pics of the room when we moved in - I will take some updated ones to show where i am at but this gives you a better idea of the room layout - the pipe is what big recommended to use for the pj - just wanted to show what I bought and painted -

The wall at the end is where the screen will be - I will build a stage and will have shelves on each side of the screen - one side for movies and one for av equip - I took the screen grills off and will leave them open since the actual speaker is black so they blend in with the black ceiling -

after doing a few measurements i noticed that i will not be able to bring the framing straight up the the ceiling due to the location of the speakers and return - since i will not relocate them I am planning to work the framing up to a certain point then angle the panels back to the wall a few inches below the ceiling so that i can have crown and rope lights around the entire room - and not interfere with the return and speakers -
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_2215.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	233721   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2210.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	233729   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0150.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	233737   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0149.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	233745  

Last edited by iamjason; 08-28-2014 at 11:32 AM.
post #83 of 87 Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

here is my stage design and measurements - noting new here - it will be filled with insulation and about 8 in high with 2 layers and roofing felt -
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 2.33.07 PM.png
Views:	12
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	233769  

post #84 of 87 Old 08-29-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Attaching a few pics - the first is of the tile in the kitchen above the stove - we added the center piece using about 20 3m strips :-)

The 2nd is an over all of the room showing the ceiling and screen wall painted black - i used lowes valspar but color matched to mouse ears in flat - the image is appx 110" which is what I will be using when we are ready to order the screen. the windows are temp blocked by black photo background paper - i do not plan on plugging them but will get them tinted to reduce heat and will have slumber shades that block out the light 100% - but can be open and closed as needed -

The third is the back of the room - the riser will be 10 feet wide and will be against the wall by the window and will stop about 2 feet from the door - I had the doors installed to swing out so that I could fit the riser - in the room - i am thinking it will be 6'6" or 7' - i am leaning to 6"6" due to the room size - I will have a step on the window side of the riser so the seats can be accessed on both sides - i know the pj is not centered - I wanted to put it up quick and there are t beams side by side so it was easier - if it is an issue when the screen is mounted i will scoot it over. but as it is now there is not distortation so i am hoping that I can leave it. The cans are the only lights in the room but I have 2 sconce prewires in between the windows and will have rope lighting - pretty simple but it will work great -

4 - showing one surround speakers. I will leave it uncovered since it is black and the grills are white -

5 - showing the pj and mount - with a ceiling outlet tube to run the hdmi cable and a small power conditioner. after reading a bit more would like to figure out a way to add a ups but not sure if that is feasible with out rewiring - anyone know of a lighter one that can be ceiling mounted or I could add a shelf to the ceiling.

the last image is of our playroom - we have "stations" for the kids - read, play, create, image - so the wording is pretty straight forward - any suggestion on the theater word it is the double doors - watch, entertain, enjoy, theater - I would like to keep the same basic descriptive words like the rest of the room and it will be in the the same yellow wood letters -
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3346.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	235489   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3305.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	235497   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3325.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	235521   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3309.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	235569   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3310.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	235577  

Name:	DSC_3332.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	235633  

Last edited by iamjason; 08-29-2014 at 02:58 PM.
post #85 of 87 Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 AM

Love the progress. One question is I know u have an HDMI cable from projector to receiver for all of your audio needs, but if u are receiving cable channels would that line also be routed to connect to the projector. Never have been exposed to a projector before. So basically only thing needed at projector location is a power source, and Hdmi cable to run audio to receiver, and the connection to cable( or directTV)? hope that makes sense.
post #86 of 87 Old 08-30-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

I run everything to the receiver - so the only thing at the pj is the power cord and the hdmi that is connected to the receiver - everything else is taken care of by the hdmi ports on the avr - i have the xbox and bluray player connected - we do not have cable but do have an hd tuner for local hd broadcasts that is also hdmi - I was going to add a streamer but am happy with the xbox doing this since they no longer require a gold membership to access the apps -

my system is very simple compared to a lot on here - the only thing i plan on adding is a power conditioner and a sub but my rack is otherwise pretty low key compared to some -

post #87 of 87 Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 AM

thanks.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page