Wii and XBox hookup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a house with a dedicated theater room. We are going to have a 110" screen and I want the Wii and XBox motion bars in the front of the room under the screen and the equipment in the AV rack in the back of the room. What can I have installed that will allow me to plug the bars into the wall and have everything work. I want to avoid running extensions around the room since I am still in the construction phase. If I run a couple of USB plugs from the front of the room to the back, will that work? Is this even possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35

USB has a limited range of 5 meters, so I doubt that is going to work unless the room is extremely small.  I'm not familiar with the x-box motion sensor, but I don't think the Wii sensor is USB based, so you may be able to extend it with low voltage wiring, but I would test it first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

This may help for the Wii:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Sensor-Bar-Extension-Cable-Nintendo/dp/B002BFTXBE

post #4 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just bought a 50' USB extension from Monoprice to do the same with my xbox Kinect. New systems dropping this fall/winter and the new Xbox One will have a new Kinect sensor included.

Come see my Livin' the Dream build!

post #5 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I extended the sensor bar for my wii by hacking the cord in half and splicing it into a cat 5 run I had to my equipment location. I'm guessing its about 30 ft of cat5. It works great. The wii sensor bar is really just some infrared LEDs at either end. The sensor part is actually in the wiimote. I've seen some battery powered ones as well, but i didn't want to have to deal with dead batteries all the time. Wireless Wii sensor bar at target

post #6 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post

I extended the sensor bar for my wii by hacking the cord in half and splicing it into a cat 5 run I had to my equipment location. I'm guessing its about 30 ft of cat5. It works great. The wii sensor bar is really just some infrared LEDs at either end. The sensor part is actually in the wiimote. I've seen some battery powered ones as well, but i didn't want to have to deal with dead batteries all the time. Wireless Wii sensor bar at target
Ditto. Extended the Wii bar with Cat5 and no problems. Actually left it at the old house and had to buy one of those battery powered ones for our new house. So far going on about 4 months without changing the batteries and would say the Wii gets used 2 times a week.

Visit the

2.0 done and finally posted! - 

And now...
post #7 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
monoprice has a cheap wireless option for Wii: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11404&cs_id=1140406&p_id=5669&seq=1&format=2

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Xbox 360 Elite 120 Gb Console System , Wii

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page