what movie to christen theater? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Home Entertainment & Theater Builder > Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > what movie to christen theater?

Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

chomperoni's Avatar chomperoni
07:21 PM Liked: 12
post #1 of 36
06-06-2013 | Posts: 274
Joined: Dec 2006
My theater will be ready tomorrow. After two years of anticipation I am now wondering what movie I should play as the very first movie.
I have a 132 inch cinemascope screen with 7.2 sound.
Any suggestions?
r34king's Avatar r34king
07:47 PM Liked: 10
post #2 of 36
06-06-2013 | Posts: 9
Joined: Dec 2012
I used avatar when I got my projector set up. The effects are amazing at 100".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
jason4vu's Avatar jason4vu
08:00 PM Liked: 20
post #3 of 36
06-06-2013 | Posts: 235
Joined: Jan 2002
I would stick with something 2.35 to fully take advantage of screen.
HopefulFred's Avatar HopefulFred
08:07 PM Liked: 229
post #4 of 36
06-06-2013 | Posts: 2,986
Joined: Mar 2007
Whatever it is, it better be 'scope and 8-channel HD audio. smile.gif

Here's Blu-ray.coms list of BD with 7.1 audio. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=159814

Among the newer stuff, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, The Bourne Legacy and Prometheus look like good candidates. Lots of newer action-type movies that I wouldn't choose for myself, but you might - The Expendables, The Hunger Games, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, The Avengers. LOTR trilogy, Star Wars, and Top Gun all have 6.1 HD tracks, and are 'scope - Good choices, IMO. For older stuff, you don't find much 'scope, but still some great options. E.T., Cinderella and Dumbo - 1.78 and 1.35 respectively, The Sound of Music is 2.20. Dances With Wolves is 2.36, but not a lot of fun for a premiere. Maybe Jurassic Park?

For me, from this list, I think I would go with one of the first three - maybe the shortest in run time, just so that you can spend more time with the lights on talking about the cool new theater you have. Actually, I think I would go with Top Gun or Star Wars (IV) - I'm a sappy sucker and those are classics for me.

Congratulations on the premiere!
chomperoni's Avatar chomperoni
08:18 PM Liked: 12
post #5 of 36
06-06-2013 | Posts: 274
Joined: Dec 2006
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am so excited....
I am thinking Top Gun or Tranformers 3 or new James Bond right now.
That may change.....
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11
09:17 PM Liked: 351
post #6 of 36
06-06-2013 | Posts: 3,988
Joined: Feb 2010
I'm in the same boat.............

My theater will be complete in less than a week......construction started in January.

The theater will be part of a local home show and my wife and I both agreed "Skyfall" will be the premiere.

Most folks in my part of the country don't have a chance to see what a sound isolated project like his build looks like or even sounds like.....an acoustically engineered room will be a show stopper for most who come and have a look.

With intent........my wife and I are both big Bond fans and have not seen "SkyFall" do to the "Christening" of the room.
jautor's Avatar jautor
09:38 PM Liked: 413
post #7 of 36
06-06-2013 | Posts: 8,484
Joined: Jun 2001
I opened mine with Inception. Prometheus, Skyfall, Django Unchained or Argo would have been choices for me, too, if I was doing it now. If you or your guests haven't seen any of those, go with that one...
NYGIANTSFAN23's Avatar NYGIANTSFAN23
09:56 PM Liked: 38
post #8 of 36
06-06-2013 | Posts: 278
Joined: Oct 2012
The Bourne Trilogy, Life of Pi, Black Hawk Down...
chomperoni's Avatar chomperoni
11:23 PM Liked: 12
post #9 of 36
06-06-2013 | Posts: 274
Joined: Dec 2006
The problem is I have seen most of those movies and wanted something different.
I haven't seen Skyfall, Prometheus and the Hobbit, all of which I already own.
Which one would you screen?
jautor's Avatar jautor
12:22 AM Liked: 413
post #10 of 36
06-07-2013 | Posts: 8,484
Joined: Jun 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomperoni View Post

I haven't seen Skyfall, Prometheus and the Hobbit, all of which I already own.
Which one would you screen?

If you have a Sci-Fi crowd, Prometheus is awesome eye candy, and an enjoyable but somewhat flawed film. For a more "normal" crowd, Skyfall is excellent, and is also epic in its cinematography.

Hobbit would not be my choice for opening night.
chomperoni's Avatar chomperoni
12:44 AM Liked: 12
post #11 of 36
06-07-2013 | Posts: 274
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

If you have a Sci-Fi crowd, Prometheus is awesome eye candy, and an enjoyable but somewhat flawed film. For a more "normal" crowd, Skyfall is excellent, and is also epic in its cinematography.

Hobbit would not be my choice for opening night.


Thanks, sounds like sky fall is the best all round movie. I will be watching it with wife and 10 year old. Is the movie age appropriate ?
BroncoSport's Avatar BroncoSport
03:29 AM Liked: 20
post #12 of 36
06-07-2013 | Posts: 757
Joined: Feb 2005
I had every intention on screening Star Wars IV for my first film. I have very vivid memories of standing in line (around the block) to see the originial in the theater.....BUT even though I am a giant fan of the original trilogy, I don't own it yet on bluray. I WAS hoping for a remaster, non altered version, but Lucas said screw the fans and has never released a good remaster of the original without the addition of CGI. As a Star Wars collector, I have the Laser Disc definitive version but no laser disc player anymore...... so....... We fired up the 5th Element for our first movie and it was fantastic.

I would agree that Skyfall would be a good choice out of the ones you listed. Great bond movie, great visuals and great sound.
NGiovas's Avatar NGiovas
05:33 AM Liked: 36
post #13 of 36
06-07-2013 | Posts: 1,360
Joined: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomperoni View Post


Thanks, sounds like sky fall is the best all round movie. I will be watching it with wife and 10 year old. Is the movie age appropriate ?

 

I watched it with my 13 and 16 year old.  The action/violence didn't bother them at all (not surprised considering many of today's video games), but my 13 year old was embarrassed/uncomfortable during one shower scene.  No full nudity, but a bit awkward.  There are sites that list all of the language, scenes, etc. so you can make a decision.


NYGIANTSFAN23's Avatar NYGIANTSFAN23
08:47 PM Liked: 38
post #14 of 36
06-07-2013 | Posts: 278
Joined: Oct 2012
I just watched prometheus today and it was a good flick...
Mad Norseman's Avatar Mad Norseman
09:00 PM Liked: 100
post #15 of 36
06-07-2013 | Posts: 473
Joined: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomperoni View Post

The problem is I have seen most of those movies and wanted something different.
I haven't seen Skyfall, Prometheus and the Hobbit, all of which I already own.
Which one would you screen?

Yes, Skyfall would be an excellent first movie for your new theater!
Especially stirring is Adele's rendition of the title song right after the opening scene - be sure to crank it up loud for that song! tongue.gif

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was another good suggestion, maybe for a second showing?
Then "Real Steel" to test out the subwoofers, or better yet - the train wreak scene that's about 18 miuntes into the movie "Super 8" (WOW!).
Enjoy!
djkest's Avatar djkest
09:13 PM Liked: 25
post #16 of 36
06-07-2013 | Posts: 688
Joined: Nov 2007
Visually Skyfall is pretty good but for me it was kind of a lackluster movie. I'd rather re-watch Casino Royale.

Some of my favorites right now are Kung Fu Panda, Tron Legacy, and the Avengers.
jedimastergrant's Avatar jedimastergrant
09:52 PM Liked: 69
post #17 of 36
06-07-2013 | Posts: 1,968
Joined: Nov 2006
Great (and fun) question. I hope to have a debut this summer myself so I have been giving it some thought. I like a lot of the suggestions given in the thread already.

I assume that the 10 year old is the youngest of the young that will attend the debut? That is something I am having trouble with as well and I have considered having 2 debuts. One for the kids first so they don't feel like they are missing out and then another for the adults.

A few that stand out:

Skyfall
-If you are a Bond fan and you like the newer Daniel Craig movies then I think this one is a home run. Visually stunning. Incredible sound. One of the best villains in my opinion. It may or may not be too much for your 10 year old.

Star Wars IV
-For the purist as a few others said. Kid friendly and something you would never regret doing for posterity's sake.

The Sound of Music
-Great recommendation from Fred. One I had never thought about but do own. What a classic and some catchy tunes.

A few others of note that would be kid friendly and offer great audio and video.

The Incredibles
Cars 2
Speed Racer


One that I am considering because of the name of my theater...............The Wizard of Oz..............Hard to get more classic than that.

Oh yeah don't forget about.

Star Trek (2009)
-It just has a look to it that suits a large screen and one of my favorite audio tracks.

Avengers
-Pure crowd pleaser.

I totally agree about the shorter run time to give plenty of flexibility for longer demos and discussion. That is something I will now keep in mind myself!
bass addict's Avatar bass addict
10:18 PM Liked: 335
post #18 of 36
06-07-2013 | Posts: 4,169
Joined: Dec 2003
I was under the same dilemma just completing my theater after a year and a half. My daughter wanted to be a part of the opening run so I had to find something that would be age appropriate for her. She's not an action fan at all, and I had to settle on The Mummy of all movies lol. I had to over rule a couple 1.78's she picked and steer her towards a 2.35. I paid for a lens, I'm going to get some use out of it dangit. biggrin.gif

This weekend I have some company over and get to stretch her legs for the first time, and I'm really leaning towards Skyfall or oddly enough Battle LA. That one is just a sheer audio assault. smile.gif
NYGIANTSFAN23's Avatar NYGIANTSFAN23
10:36 PM Liked: 38
post #19 of 36
06-07-2013 | Posts: 278
Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

Visually Skyfall is pretty good but for me it was kind of a lackluster movie. I'd rather re-watch Casino Royale.

Some of my favorites right now are Kung Fu Panda, Tron Legacy, and the Avengers.

+1
JSUL's Avatar JSUL
10:50 PM Liked: 38
post #20 of 36
06-07-2013 | Posts: 344
Joined: Dec 2012
Simply pick your favorite movie and have fun.
Enjoy yourself and get lost in the maze of the cinematic experience.
willmo's Avatar willmo
07:07 AM Liked: 11
post #21 of 36
06-08-2013 | Posts: 128
Joined: Jan 2009
Avengers, Skyfall, Rio, Army of Darkness, Master and Commander
chomperoni's Avatar chomperoni
09:56 AM Liked: 12
post #22 of 36
06-08-2013 | Posts: 274
Joined: Dec 2006
Last night was the big premier and it was Skyfall !!

Wow !

What a great movie to show off the theatre and sound. My wife and daughter were amazed.

My wife generally doesn't sit and watch movies with me. At the end of the movie she says "what are we watching tomorrow night?"

I am amazed by the sound and picture of the theatre.

After 2 years of hard work and sacrifices I sat there at the closing credits and tears came down my eyes.

My theater is truly is everything that I wanted it to be. It still needs some tweaking but that feeling of actually sitting in there watching a movie after all this time was one of those rare moments in life where you know that this is a moment you will remember forever.

Thank you all for the wonderful movie suggestions.
bass addict's Avatar bass addict
10:12 AM Liked: 335
post #23 of 36
06-08-2013 | Posts: 4,169
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomperoni View Post

It still needs some tweaking but that feeling of actually sitting in there watching a movie after all this time was one of those rare moments in life where you know that this is a moment you will remember forever.
.

Mine was my daughters birth, but to each his own. tongue.gif

Glad to hear it was an enjoyable time. Looks like I might be running into town to snag Skyfall today for our viewing tonight.
chomperoni's Avatar chomperoni
10:36 AM Liked: 12
post #24 of 36
06-08-2013 | Posts: 274
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Mine was my daughters birth, but to each his own. tongue.gif

Glad to hear it was an enjoyable time. Looks like I might be running into town to snag Skyfall today for our viewing tonight.

Not to say that my children's births were less enjoyable than the premiere, but last night was a truly epic moment.smile.gif
Sean Spamilton's Avatar Sean Spamilton
10:47 AM Liked: 150
post #25 of 36
06-08-2013 | Posts: 849
Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by r34king View Post

I used avatar when I got my projector set up. The effects are amazing at 100".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

My vote is for " The Human Centipede " smile.gifwink.gif - oh wait you've already watched Skyfall, and with your wife and kids no less. MUCH better choice!
Mazeroth's Avatar Mazeroth
12:12 PM Liked: 13
post #26 of 36
06-08-2013 | Posts: 693
Joined: Jul 2003
What I did was ask myself if I could only watch one movie ever again for the rest of my life, which one would it be? Basically, I played my favorite movie, TLOTR Fellowship. No regrets. It may not be the most beautiful or have the best sound, but knowing I watched my favorite movie as my first was important to me.

The same could be said if you were given the choice to drive ANY car ever made. Would you pick the 2013 Bugatti Veyron, as it's arguably the greatest car ever made. Or would you pick a car that you have an emotional attachment to, say, a 1980's Lamborghini Countach, something you dreamt of driving since you were a little kid.
Mad Norseman's Avatar Mad Norseman
01:54 PM Liked: 100
post #27 of 36
06-08-2013 | Posts: 473
Joined: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomperoni View Post

Last night was the big premier and it was Skyfall !!

Wow !

What a great movie to show off the theatre and sound. My wife and daughter were amazed.

My wife generally doesn't sit and watch movies with me. At the end of the movie she says "what are we watching tomorrow night?"

I am amazed by the sound and picture of the theatre.

After 2 years of hard work and sacrifices I sat there at the closing credits and tears came down my eyes.

My theater is truly is everything that I wanted it to be. It still needs some tweaking but that feeling of actually sitting in there watching a movie after all this time was one of those rare moments in life where you know that this is a moment you will remember forever.

Thank you all for the wonderful movie suggestions.

Hey, that's GREAT to hear - so happy you're enjoying the fruits of your labors finally - and especially that the rest of the family maybe now understands what you've been up to all this while, and why.
Congrats again, now, maybe 'MI4: Ghost Protocal' for the encore'? rolleyes.gif
chomperoni's Avatar chomperoni
12:58 AM Liked: 12
post #28 of 36
06-09-2013 | Posts: 274
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Hey, that's GREAT to hear - so happy you're enjoying the fruits of your labors finally - and especially that the rest of the family maybe now understands what you've been up to all this while, and why.
Congrats again, now, maybe 'MI4: Ghost Protocal' for the encore'? rolleyes.gif
:

That sounds like a plan...
BroncoSport's Avatar BroncoSport
05:43 PM Liked: 20
post #29 of 36
06-09-2013 | Posts: 757
Joined: Feb 2005
Congrats! Sounds like a great premier. After the showing of our first movie, my wife turned to me and said "when you were talking about and building this theater, I had NO idea how awesome this would end up". That made me smile!
Mad Norseman's Avatar Mad Norseman
05:05 PM Liked: 100
post #30 of 36
06-10-2013 | Posts: 473
Joined: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport View Post

Congrats! Sounds like a great premier. After the showing of our first movie, my wife turned to me and said "when you were talking about and building this theater, I had NO idea how awesome this would end up". That made me smile!

Another wife underestimating her husband - how unusual! wink.gif

I'm glad this is working out for so many new theater owners on this forum!
Tags: Skyfall Blu Ray , Star Trek Blu Ray , Marvels The Avengers Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo In Blu Ray Packaging

Gear in this thread - Skyfall by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3