Basement theater build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured I should start a thread and update it as I move forward. Here is where I'm at now, with sheetrock (mostly) in place. I built a 15'' riser in the back and a stage in the front. I have a jvc x35 projector, and a denon 3312 to run my 7.2 setup.

I have a large sectional couch going up on the riser, and a few recliner chairs I'll keep on the floor.

More pictures to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any soundproofing or acoustic measures? Planned speakers and subs?

How about the size of the screen, and the overall measurements of the room?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

I decided not to get crazy with soundproofing. everything is insulated very well, but basically just screwed the sheetrock to the wall. The stage is ontop of rubber and separated from the walls. The room is about 13x19'.
I have a set of polk audio speakers going in, monitor 70s in the front with a cs2, and the monitor 30s for the surround/backs. I have the psw10 sub that I will likely discard and upgrade in the near future, and a set of 10'' car subs running on a ep2000 behringer amp that I am building a custom enclosure for. I am going to make an enclosure below the screen for as wide as the screen is to hold the 2 subs and the center channel... and to keep my kids at arms length from the screen. I'll wrap it in fabric.

More to come...
Old 06-07-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

the screen is a 2.35:1 115''. I have plans for acoustical treatments. So far I will cover exposed wall around the screen on the front wall, and first reflection points on the side walls for the bottom half of the wall... at least thats what I am thinking based on some reading on this site. I'm open to ideas and suggestions...
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

I've got some paint up. Obviously not finished, but the walls and ceiling have been rolled. I am going to put up some crown with rope lighting behind it to light the ceiling.

What do you guys think about paint for the crown. I was thinking about white for a nice contrast, but I wonder if that will be too distracting. If so, maybe a darker color between the grey and black already there...

also, I usually use semigloss on trim and crown, is that a mistake for the theater?

Appreciate any input
Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexinator View Post

I've got some paint up. Obviously not finished, but the walls and ceiling have been rolled. I am going to put up some crown with rope lighting behind it to light the ceiling.

What do you guys think about paint for the crown. I was thinking about white for a nice contrast, but I wonder if that will be too distracting. If so, maybe a darker color between the grey and black already there...

also, I usually use semigloss on trim and crown, is that a mistake for the theater?

Appreciate any input

Some people have used light and/or shiny trim in their darkly painted rooms- seems like the results are kind of mixed. Since you are doing such a dark color already, what about a dark wood, like walnut or mahogany? You could even get a cheaper wood and stain it dark. You may be unsatisfied if you do a lighter color, although you could always paint it darker. A medium gray would still give you some contrast but be less distracting.

BTW looks good, you are making swift progress!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexinator View Post

[IMG ALT=""]What do you guys think about paint for the crown. I was thinking about white for a nice contrast, but I wonder if that will be too distracting. If so, maybe a darker color between the grey and black already there... also, I usually use semigloss on trim and crown, is that a mistake for the theater?
I went with white semi-gloss in my first theater for the chair and base trim. There was some light reflection from it, but it wasn't too distracting. My 2nd theater I went with black flat enamel on the trim and am happy with the results as far as light reflection. There is definitely less contrast so the trim is more "muted" than before.

Question for you? Are you planning any wall treatments? Plain drywall can get pretty "echoy" if not treated. And how tall are your ceilings. Maybe its the pictures, but it doesn't look like anyone could stand on your riser without hitting their head. smile.gif

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

the ceilings are 7'7'' the riser is 15''. so yes, height is a bit of an issue. but i am 5'5''. and guess who i built the theater for! I figure a 6' tall person could stand in there ok.

I just bought some 703 insulation board to make my wall treatments. I also just got the fabric for the front wall treatments. I'm not sure if I should just use 1'' 703 for the whole front wall, or build corner bass traps and then the 703 on whats left of the front as well as side walls.

I think I am going to go for the medium grey (lighter than the walls) in a semigloss. I don't like the look of flat crown/trim. As soon as I get everything painted, I'll get the screen put together and up!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

got some lights up, crown is painted... just need to mount that up. Ordered some engineered hardwood for the stage and carpet for the rest of the room.
Things are moving pretty quick...
Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

I need help with the ceiling lights. The led rope light is a bit twisted so some are oriented towards the ceiling, others are not. Do I need to have them all pointing up, or does it not matter so much after the crown is put into place...
Old 06-25-2013, 01:21 PM

How is your build coming along?

How high is your riser? Did you put in steps below it?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

the riser is 16'' high. I wanted it 15.5, but it is what it is. I built a few steps 8'' tall, 24'' wide that i will carpet and keep mobile. The plan is to be able to move them around as my furniture changes in the room. I've ordered carpets for the main part of the room, and some engineered hardwood for the front stage. With the holiday week coming up, I doubt I'll get anything done, but a couple more days of work, and it will be complete. I'll tac up a few more pics when i get a chance.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

some updated pics...

New hardwood floors finished today... by me.
New sub box, finished the exterior fabric today.
crown up, screen up... not sure what else. still plenty to do...
Old 07-07-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

I built my front 2 acoustical panels, and used a bunch of other panels to cut triangles for bass traps in the front bottom corners. I will make black enclosures for the bass traps, and I am getting some decorative fabric for the 4 panels on the side walls. Let me know what you think.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

I made a few acoustical panels and finished wrapping them with fabric last night. Take a look.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hello flexinator, your theater is looking great. I like the red fabric for the side wall panels. Can you provide any details/photos of the acoustic panels? Did you use a wood frame? Was it necessary to paint the frame so it doesn't show through the fabric, especially the black? Thanks
Old 07-18-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

I wish i'd taken pics now. Making the frames was super easy. I bought 1x2's and cut them so the frame was 2' x 4', the same as the 703 insulshield board. I then made some corner blocks out of luan board and used some finish nails to join the corners. I used nails that were much longer than i needed, so it would hold it together but still hang out on the side I was hitting with the hammer. Then when I placed the insulation on the frame, the exposed nails pierced the insulation and held it in place. the wood frame is only on the back, I simply wrapped the fabric around the frame and hot glued it into place. It turned out nice and was very easy.

Total cost per panel
1x2's $2
insulshield $12
Fabric $15
Nails $0.10??
Glue $1??

So... cheap...

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver