Making the best of the situation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all - I am currently working my father to build a home theater in the basement of my house. I have a budget of about $10k for the entire project (construction, furnishing, toys, etc..). I could use some advice on where I will get the best value for my money.

For example, the room is currently dry walled and the plan is to put in a drop ceiling and a tile floor. I want to do a drop ceiling because it is easier to work with in the future if I change how things are laid out. I also want to put in a tile floor in case I ever have water issues (there is no evidence of ever having standing water in 15 years, but playing it safe). From what I have read on these forums, tile floors and a drop ceiling are probably about the worst choices for a home theater. I was planning to put in a large throw rug over the tile, and I started looking into acoustic tile for the ceiling but the prices were in the $12+ per sq foot range. If you tell me it is definitely worth the added cost then I will go for it, but I would really prefer to use that money towards things like the projector, and sound system.

The room is roughly 17x17 and is far enough away from the bedrooms that I am not super concerned about sound isolation. I appreciate any advice you can share! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Given your prerequisites, you are probably better off in the General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms forum.

Unless, of course, you want to be talked out of all of your current plans. That we can help with!

If you are dead set on tile (versus something like dricore) and a drop ceiling (versus osb/drywall/green glue/isolation clips in some combination), there's really not much for us to suggest.

If you want to save cash epson sometimes has the 8350 refurb in their online store.. onkyo has some decent receivers refurb in their online store.. and you can DIY a screen from Seymour Centerstage fabric or even spandex (check the DIY Screens forum). You can DIY some speakers diysoundgroup.com.

That should leave you a decent budget to invest in soundproofing.. If we can lure you away from your current plans.

Tim
post #3 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mr. Tim, I might belong in the other forum, but an additional question before I move on.

I would not be opposed to installing dricore and then installing carpet on top of it. One thing I was hoping to learn is where best value is. Example - if I take another $500 out of my projector budget and put it into the floor is it a worthwhile trade off?

I am pretty set with the drop ceiling, but I did see some suggestions floating around to use Ceilume for the tile.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35

I agree with Tim.  I would also post in the other forum to see what advice you get.  Most people in this forum are building a purpose built room that is designed around the theater experience.  One of the foundations of this is the soundproofing.  

With that said, there are certainly a lot of people who have built really nice theaters without going overboard on soundproofing.  I just think you will get some alternative opinions in the other forum.

By the way, don't be fooled.  Tim is right.  I started out two years ago with an open concept game room/entertainment area in mind and am now just finishing a soundproof dedicated theater that seats 8.  The ability for this group to persuade is amazing. biggrin.gif

post #5 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I think you will find the vote unanimous in this forum that money is better spent on the room than equipment. The premise being that you can upgrade the equipment later, but once you build the room you are really committed.

I think dricore is an excellent investment. Some guys have put foam down on the floor then secured plywood on top of that instead of using dricore-- also an excellent choice. Honestly the tile is not the end of the world if you are going to build risers, as they would cover a lot of it. The drop ceiling is kind of a bummer.

Drywall is pretty cheap. Sure, you'd have to commit to the fact that it's difficult to change anything in the future, but you're also committing to a better theater experience biggrin.gif Remember you are keeping noise out as well as keeping noise in.

Every inch of my basement is drywalled. I haven't found a reason to rip into it yet *knock on wood*.

If you're open to suggestions feel free to hang out here smile.gif

If you have an idea of layout, screen size, desired equipment, we can tell you a bit more on how to achieve the Dedicated Theater experience. There are guys here who did amazing builds on shoestring budgets.

Tim
post #6 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Alright - I will open myself up to be persuaded. I have already decided to put in carpet instead of tile. Is there any special considerations when choosing carpet?

Here are some picture of where we are at currently:

The sump pump is going to be a closet, and the area by the pole is where I think I am going to put my computer. I wish the original home builders had used steel beams so I didn't have to have these supports here, but oh well.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/966069_151017375086604_1701727548_o.jpg

The area on the left side is where I am putting a nice comfy couch. The drop here is for stairs (I live in a bi-level house).
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/980590_151017365086605_1150295027_o.jpg

The right side wall here is where I am picturing the focus of the room (where I put the TV screen)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/980241_151017371753271_1971719933_o.jpg

The wall the TV will go is roughly 15 feet wide and about 7.5 feet tall. I am currently thinking I will get a BENQ 1070 projector (based on reviews), although I am definitely open to other suggestions. I have no clue at this point what to go for a screen or sound system.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page