New Build Plan Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,

We just finished building a new home in Madison, WI and I am going to start tackling the basement and my first dedicated home theater. As you can see from the plan, we don't have a lot of room.

My plan is to have a 12-16 inch riser in the rear of the room with 4 leather recliners, then a step down to the base floor with 4 more leather recliners.

We will do a stage in the front with a 120" or so screen.

A few questions I have regarding the door placement. Does it make sense where it is or should I add a hallway and move it down on the side wall by the screen area?

I am not sure if it would look odd to stairs up into the room with the door opening out into that landing area.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CLE Future Lower Level.pdf 601k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Future Lower Level.pdf (601.5 KB, 95 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My home town!! Family all still lives there! smile.gif

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #3 of 39 Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
just read the thread i started recently and do the exact opposite of everything i had planned until i talked to these guys.
post #4 of 39 Old 06-11-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Good to hear Shawn, we just relocated to the area.

My biggest concern with the room is the placement of the door, any ideas would be appreciated.

CLE
post #5 of 39 Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I think the door at the rear makes good practical sense. Steps up into theaters have been done and are recommended pretty often. I have no complaints if you have the height.

Speaking of having the room, have you checked closely about the size of four recliners? I'm not sure you'll be comfortable with the width in a 13 ft wide room.

That's hardly enough for a full review, but you haven't given us a full plan. wink.gif
post #6 of 39 Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 29
I sent you a PM

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #7 of 39 Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 AM

I have the almost exact same dimensions. I built a riser and stage similar to what you've got planned. Check out my thread... I'm just finishing sheetrock/paint. Finish carpentry starting soon.
post #8 of 39 Old 06-12-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Flex, nice build. I will make sure and follow!!

I like your stage and riser, curious about your dimensions and how you built it. After thinking more about my door placement, I think I will move it down on the side between the stage and floor like you have it.

Thanks,

CLE
post #9 of 39 Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM

the riser is basically 2x6s built like a deck. Its 15'' tall. the stage is separated from the wall with Styrofoam just to keep it acoustically separate from the walls. I insulated the stage, but alot of guys fill it with sand. The riser is empty. In real life standing in front of the riser feels really close to the screen. I am placing a large sectional couch on it, so it was necessary to be that big... We'll see how i like it when its done.

You should get google sketchup, its free and awesome to draw out your room and play with dimensions of things...
post #10 of 39 Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

So, the door is going to have to be at the back right rear of the theater. Do you recommend having the riser right up to the door opening and then you have to step up into it after you open the door (swinging back)? Or, would you cut out that portion with a step after the door (swinging forward)?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

CLE
post #11 of 39 Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Depending on the space you have available outside the theater you could build a step up outside the room, raising the door up to riser height. This keeps the structure inside the room simple and you can dress up the step outside with columns/marquee.

Example:

post #12 of 39 Old 06-20-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have any room to do that, I would like to, just not possible. Any other ideas? Here is the plan: Future Lower Level.pdf 601k .pdf file
post #13 of 39 Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Any thoughts to adding a hallway and flipping the theater around so that the screen is towards the bathroom? See my paint masterpiece... biggrin.gif

post #14 of 39 Old 06-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
^What he said ^

Here's my interpretation.
one_idea.png

This puts the viewing distance for the first row around 10'5" or 11'; 2nd row is 15'6" or so
post #15 of 39 Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Gentleman,

Thank you very much for the drawings, that is exactly was I was thinking of doing. Is there a specific reason you swapped the screen wall though?

Thanks,

CLE
post #16 of 39 Old 06-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLE0950 View Post

Gentleman,

Thank you very much for the drawings, that is exactly was I was thinking of doing. Is there a specific reason you swapped the screen wall though?

Thanks,

CLE

Yup. The position of the door with the equipment closet and the seating depth is why I flipped the screen. It's easier if you come in a little closer to the screen and it gives you clearance for the riser.
post #17 of 39 Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Same reason, to leave room for the rear riser. You might still be able to keep the screen on the other wall but you would have to see how deep your riser is going to be and then see if it leaves you enough room to fit a door on that wall.

I like the idea of having the equipment room external to the theater. Might I suggest sticking it in the storage area with an opening through the wall out into the hall and then maybe building in some bookcases at the end of the hall (where djkest shows the equipment room) for movie and game storage/display.
post #18 of 39 Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again guys. We are going to go with your designs, more toward the Vanice drawing. The door will be at the end of the hall and open back into the hall and the wall. That way we can keep that door open if the kids are in there. We will have the door to storage directly across from there with that door opening out into the storage area. The equipment rack will be toward the front of the hallway with access to the back in the storage area.

Now that we have the design done, I have some questions on riser, stage and soffit:

We are going to finish a 14" wide x 10" tall soffit around the whole room. We will then put rope and crown inside the soffit and cans on Control4 dimmers in there. Would you recommend putting the cans in the soffits, in the middle area, or both?

We plan to do a 12" riser, what is the standard length of the riser? Width wise, it will fill the entire 13' with 18" steps on both sides. How about standard dimensions for the stage? What length?

I'll be sure and keep this thread going throughout the build which will start in 10 days.

Thanks again everyone.

CLE
post #19 of 39 Old 06-29-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again guys. We are going to go with your designs, more toward the Vanice drawing. The door will be at the end of the hall and open back into the hall and the wall. That way we can keep that door open if the kids are in there. We will have the door to storage directly across from there with that door opening out into the storage area. The equipment rack will be toward the front of the hallway with access to the back in the storage area.

Now that we have the design done, I have some questions on riser, stage and soffit:

We are going to finish a 14" wide x 10" tall soffit around the whole room. We will then put rope and crown inside the soffit and cans on Control4 dimmers in there. Would you recommend putting the cans in the soffits, in the middle area, or both?

We plan to do a 12" riser, what is the standard length of the riser? Width wise, it will fill the entire 13' with 18" steps on both sides. How about standard dimensions for the stage? What length?

I'll be sure and keep this thread going throughout the build which will start in 10 days.

Thanks again everyone.

CLE

Lighting depends on what you would like to do in there. Perimeter soffit lighting along with the rope lights should give you enough light to do most tasks in the room. If you would like to be able to read a book/magazine then you will most likely want lights in the middle of the room as well.

What types of seating will you have on the riser? Theater style (the upright rocker type) seating and your typical sofa require less room than reclining theater seats that you see in most builds. Once you figure out which style you plan to go with then you can check out manufacturer specs to find overall depths. I believe for theater recliners that most builds use you will want a minimum of 6'-6" for your riser depth. That will leave you very little walkway between rows if the seats are fully reclined. More is always better if you can afford the space.

The stage is pretty much whatever you want it to be. You'll want to look closely at the size and aspect ratio of the screen you think you might want to use because the height of the stage and soffits may limit you. In my case a 2.35:1 screen ratio allowed me to get the width that I was looking for. Had I gone 16:9 my screen would have been nearly top of riser to bottom of soffit. Not necessarily the look I was going for. For reference my stage is about 10" high and my riser is about 12". My front stage runs the full width of the room and is about 5' deep. It is that deep because I have a false wall that sits out about two feet that my speakers sit behind (I have an AT screen).

Hope that helps. smile.gif
post #20 of 39 Old 06-30-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

I am planning on doing 4 seats in the back row with a middle love seat option. They are the Fusion Lagoon seats from Roman. The dimensions at full recline are 65". The width dimensions are 118".

I would then like to have a stair down on each side of the riser with a row of 3 in between. The full recline dimension is the same (65") and the width is 93.5".

My total width in my room is 156".

Thanks for all the newb help. Any help with dimensions on the riser and stage would be appreciated.
post #21 of 39 Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Cleo - I took some time to draw up your room in CAD using the notes that you provided. I made some assumptions for soundproofing as far as double drywall and offsetting the framing 1" from the concrete foundation. Framing is 2x4 except for locations (along the hall and next to the bathroom) where there will be finished space on the other side. Those walls are 2x6 staggered stud walls. Here is what I came up with. (Stage - green; riser - blue; drywall - red)

Obviously you'll need to move the door away from the end of the hall slightly to avoid the step (step shows 11", which it is, but 1" or so of that should be tucked under the lip of the riser so the step would only stick out about 9 1/2" or 10" from lip of the riser). This is with the minimum depth riser (6'-6") that most suggest for reclining theater seats. I threw a design in for the stage just for reference. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what the seats and riser would look like in your space.
CLE0950 likes this.
post #22 of 39 Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Wow^ I should hire you to do my plans biggrin.gif Well done.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #23 of 39 Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

That is awesome. Thank you so much!!

Based on your drawing, any idea how much that step goes into the doorway? I'm sure I could just make the riser 6'4" if needed.

Thanks again,

CLE
post #24 of 39 Old 07-01-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
If moving the door is a p.i.a., you might look at recessing the steps into the riser instead of having them stick out. That would still allow you to maintain the 6'-6" depth.
post #25 of 39 Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Wow^ I should hire you to do my plans biggrin.gif Well done.

I'm pretty cheap. wink.gif
Quote:

That is awesome. Thank you so much!!

Based on your drawing, any idea how much that step goes into the doorway? I'm sure I could just make the riser 6'4" if needed.

Thanks again,

CLE

After I redrew the step I show about 1 1/2" of the step protruding into the doorway. Are you planning to do any columns?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

If moving the door is a p.i.a., you might look at recessing the steps into the riser instead of having them stick out. That would still allow you to maintain the 6'-6" depth.

That is a good idea. My only concern would be if the seat on the end was reclined at all it could block a portion of the step making egress difficult.
post #26 of 39 Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Great idea ^^^^ Thanks!!
post #27 of 39 Old 07-02-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Vanice,

I need to talk to my contractor, but is it standard to move the 2x4 walls out an inch from the concrete poured walls?

Also, you should use 2x6's if the other side of that wall will be a finished space (say bathroom)?

Thanks,

CLE
post #28 of 39 Old 07-02-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

I am not planning on any columns, this is going to be a pretty basic space.

One thing I am struggling with is if I should try and sandwich in 4 seats in the front row versus 3.
post #29 of 39 Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Spacing walls off the foundation is standard for us, but may not be for the builder - you should discuss it with him. You don't want the wall to touch.

The 2x6 wall allows for staggered stud alignment, do decouple the drywall on one side from the other. Again, this is common to theater builders, but probably not to your builder - though I imagine he has seen it.
post #30 of 39 Old 07-02-2013, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The design looks great. Nice work Vanice.

What type of surround speakers are you planning CLE? I just ask because the walk way around the chairs looks like it will be a little tight for on-wall speakers. On-walls might turn into a head bumping issue. You might need a good inwall like one of these.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page