New theater in my future - need your thoughts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow, it's been a while! In order to avoid any upgraditis I have mostly stayed away from this forum for the last 1-2 years. Now for the first time I have the occasion to plan my house from the start up and even if it will be the last room to get finished I plan to do a dedicated theater room again.
In my current home I have a space of approx. 14' wide by 18' long that is used as my HT.
I don't plan to add a lot of seating, I would need space for 4-6 and the occasional extra guests.
Do you think 15' x 24' would be a good blank space to begin with? I am getting the final plans done early next week so I would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-14-2013, 09:49 AM

Liked: 10
I would go a foot or two wider if you can. I'm working off of ~15' wide and when you factor in columns and seats it gets tight.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-15-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. A bit wider would be nice and not sure you need 24' for 4-6 people if square footage is an issue.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #4 of 7 Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
15x24 is doable for 2 rows of 3 theater recliners OR 2 rows of 4 theater seats AND walkways on both sides of the seating. I know, because that is my theater -3 feet of width and length! I would have loved to have 3 more feet so I could have designed and built traditional columns, instead of the custom ones I "had" to do to preserve the ability to still have aisles on both sides of the seating. 3 more feet of the length would have let me install the bar seating behind the back row, as well

Is that an measurement for the INSIDE of the proposed room....finished? OR is that before studding, drywall and acoustic treatments?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-15-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I wouldn't rule out two rows of three, in that square footage, so fast. Some of the room's width and depth could be used for placing surround speakers behind
fabric walls. If the room is tall, then those surrounds could be elevated and aimed to fire over the seating. The differential of the distances to each seat, would
be small and represent a design plus. And with two rows of seats, you have the depth for an acoustically transparent screen.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport View Post

15x24 is doable for 2 rows of 3 theater recliners OR 2 rows of 4 theater seats AND walkways on both sides of the seating. I know, because that is my theater -3 feet of width and length! I would have loved to have 3 more feet so I could have designed and built traditional columns, instead of the custom ones I "had" to do to preserve the ability to still have aisles on both sides of the seating. 3 more feet of the length would have let me install the bar seating behind the back row, as well

Is that an measurement for the INSIDE of the proposed room....finished? OR is that before studding, drywall and acoustic treatments?

Wow, I have to get into AVS mode again! Actually I forgot about my post and just came back today. Many thanks for all your feedback. I think I might try to go with two rows of 3-4 (with loveseats in the middle).
15' is pretty much the finished measurement inside.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

And with two rows of seats, you have the depth for an acoustically transparent screen.
That is exactly what I want to do.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page