Theater For Hobbits 2.0 - Mini 2.35 CIH Build in a 10x10 Alcove - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 138 Old 01-21-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avad View Post

Also one more question, how much material of acoustic panels you had to use for the bass trap? based on your HT pictures did you actually cut the 2 x 4's, i too am planning to install bass traps on all four corners.

Not sure exactly what you mean by cutting the 2x4s - but all the framing was custom measured, cut - some at weird angles, and installed. The corner traps are about 16" on each side and maybe 6' high. They were made from 24" x 48" x 1.5" rockwool sheets that came 6 to a bag and I think I went through about 3 bags to construct the two corner traps.

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 01-22-2014, 10:37 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkarver View Post

Not sure exactly what you mean by cutting the 2x4s - but all the framing was custom measured, cut - some at weird angles, and installed. The corner traps are about 16" on each side and maybe 6' high. They were made from 24" x 48" x 1.5" rockwool sheets that came 6 to a bag and I think I went through about 3 bags to construct the two corner traps.

thanks that answered my question. When i meant 2' x 4' i was talking about the rockwool sheets which you said is 24" x 48"
post #123 of 138 Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Superchunks in the rear columns under construction.

6 mil vapor barrier membrane bonded to the rock wool. Ethan Winer and co seem to recommend this approach to gain a little more low frequency absorption and lessen the room deadening effect. Sure, why not - it's just half a can of Super 77.

I am not familiar with any Vapor barrier material and was wondering if there were any particulars to the type I needed to cover superchunk corner traps or just any ole 6 mil vapor plastic sheeting? I am also under the impression that for the superchunk style a less dense material closer to Oc 703 is preferable. I was initially going to go with Roxul rockboard 60 but the density is 6lbs vs the 703's 3lbs and I was wondering why this is important, as the Roxul would save me a bit of money.

Other then that, I hadn't even considered being able to turn my small space into a semi dedicated room until I saw this thread and it is truly an inspiration and motivator for Home theater enthusiasts just entering into this addictive and expensive hobby smile.gif Thank you!

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
Blu-Ray Sony Ps3
Xbox One
Samsung UN46D8000
post #124 of 138 Old 01-29-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niroe64 View Post

I am not familiar with any Vapor barrier material and was wondering if there were any particulars to the type I needed to cover superchunk corner traps or just any ole 6 mil vapor plastic sheeting? I am also under the impression that for the superchunk style a less dense material closer to Oc 703 is preferable. I was initially going to go with Roxul rockboard 60 but the density is 6lbs vs the 703's 3lbs and I was wondering why this is important, as the Roxul would save me a bit of money.

Other then that, I hadn't even considered being able to turn my small space into a semi dedicated room until I saw this thread and it is truly an inspiration and motivator for Home theater enthusiasts just entering into this addictive and expensive hobby smile.gif Thank you!

I used generic 6 mil sheet, fastened with Super 77 spray adhesive. I'm sure that material density affects a wide range of absorption factors, but for my purposes, all I really care about is that it's better with than without. Since I was already ordering Roxul board, I just got a few extra bags for convenience. The density also made it easier for me to glue plastic to the front.

If cost is a big factor, there are many sources that say regular pink fiberglass is just as (if not more) effective for corner traps, and you can't get any cheaper than that.

Good luck with your build.

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

post #125 of 138 Old 01-29-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:

I used generic 6 mil sheet, fastened with Super 77 spray adhesive. I'm sure that material density affects a wide range of absorption factors, but for my purposes, all I really care about is that it's better with than without. Since I was already ordering Roxul board, I just got a few extra bags for convenience. The density also made it easier for me to glue plastic to the front.

If cost is a big factor, there are many sources that say regular pink fiberglass is just as (if not more) effective for corner traps, and you can't get any cheaper than that.

Good luck with your build.

That was my thought as well, something is better than nothing and although I haven't taken any measurements of my room to determine what and where I need traps I am fairly confident that anything will benefit my 9 1/2 by 8 1/2! I will probably settle with Oc 703 since I only need 3 cases which will run me only 30$ more than the Roxul. Thanks a bunch for the help, I didn't want to put in this work and then ruin it by gluing the wrong material to my wedges haha.

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
Blu-Ray Sony Ps3
Xbox One
Samsung UN46D8000
post #126 of 138 Old 01-29-2014, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niroe64 View Post

Thanks a bunch for the help

No problem, enjoy the build. Sweet N7 avatar by the way. Nothing like playing a little ME in a really good dedicated HT room.

post #127 of 138 Old 01-30-2014, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Truly impressive. Where I'm lost at is did you do this in your home/house or rental property? My landlords would poop if I did this

post #128 of 138 Old 01-30-2014, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefSoundz View Post

Truly impressive. Where I'm lost at is did you do this in your home/house or rental property? My landlords would poop if I did this

Of course, I own this home. smile.gif
DefSoundz likes this.

post #129 of 138 Old 01-30-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:

No problem, enjoy the build. Sweet N7 avatar by the way. Nothing like playing a little ME in a really good dedicated HT room.

I was actually planning on playing them again before I get one of the new consoles here in a few weeks. They are definitely a treat in the sound department.

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
Blu-Ray Sony Ps3
Xbox One
Samsung UN46D8000
post #130 of 138 Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 PM

snowkarver, can you please clear my confusion? I hope my question makes sense. I know your screen size is 106 x 45. With your projector turned on and without the AL lens what was the size of your 16:9 image before you applied the V stretch? The reason I am asking is, currently i am zooming my picture to fill my 4:3 screen. I am trying to upgrade to 2.35:1 setup with the same screen size as yours. So should I zoom my 16:9 picture to a certain size initially and then do the V stretch and then AL to do the HE to fill the screen? Please explain the way you did your setup. Thanks
post #131 of 138 Old 02-01-2014, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avad View Post

snowkarver, can you please clear my confusion? I hope my question makes sense. I know your screen size is 106 x 45. With your projector turned on and without the AL lens what was the size of your 16:9 image before you applied the V stretch? Please explain the way you did your setup. Thanks

The thing to remember is constant image height. So without any lens or processing, a native 16:9 image is still 45" tall but only fills the center two thirds of the screen.

Add the lens. Everything is now roughly 30% wider as it horizontally expands a 16:9 image to fill 106". But of course everyone is really fat. So apply v-compression (16:9 squeezed down to 4:3) which compensates for this.

Now switch to 2.35 material. Add vertical stretch which makes everyone skinny. The lens compensates for this and you get a proper 106x45 image.

Long story short - the image height is always 45" regardless of the aspect ratio.

post #132 of 138 Old 02-03-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Oh, yeah, I got a brand new PS4 hooked up and it looks awesome, although I wish games could toggle out to 2.35. biggrin.gif

The PS4 is also my BD player, and I used it to watch some Pixar films with the kids. All my viewing so far has been streaming via the Apple TV, so this was the first disc-based content I've seen in this room. And the first time I've ever had lossless audio (the movies had DTS-MA, but my previous AVR did not).

What a pleasant surprise - the extra bitrate in the picture is noticeable sitting so close to everything, and the sound really shines. I'm a happy camper.

As your A-lens seems to be fixed I bet you're using the projector's zoom to get the PS4 to display correct 16/9 aspect ratio.
How's that working out in terms of resolution and brightness? considdering most games do 720p and resolution gets dialed down through the zoom.

I'm starting a small HT build from the ground up and have found your Hobbit 2.0 theater to be most inspiring. Thanks for that!

My own build: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1514892/th...ted-ht-project
Panasonic PT-AT6000, Focal 716-700CC-700SR
post #133 of 138 Old 02-03-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q8472 View Post

As your A-lens seems to be fixed I bet you're using the projector's zoom to get the PS4 to display correct 16/9 aspect ratio.
How's that working out in terms of resolution and brightness? considdering most games do 720p and resolution gets dialed down through the zoom.

Actually, the Onkyo 818 has a reverse-anamorphic mode that horizontally compresses a 16:9 image into 4:3, which is then corrected by the lens.

It's obviously not quite as perfect as native display with a movable lens, but I don't really notice the difference anymore. I get full vertical resolution, and given my short-throw/curved screen setup, if I don't use eco mode on the projector, I literally have to wear sunglasses.

Almost all games on the PS4 (what few there are smile.gif) are 1080P by the way.
Q8472 likes this.

post #134 of 138 Old 06-19-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
When watching 16x9 content are you using masking panels for the unused portion of the screen or just leaving that part blank?

Would I have stayed happy not knowing how good it could be? 

My theater in print http://www.hometheater.com/writer/26443

Mocha Theater Construction thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1527883/mocha-theater-construction 

post #135 of 138 Old 06-19-2014, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKMDWK View Post
When watching 16x9 content are you using masking panels for the unused portion of the screen or just leaving that part blank?
I did think about various masking options (removable panels, motorized drapes, etc) but in the end just left the sides blank. It would have been nice, but it doesn't really bother me.
post #136 of 138 Old 06-20-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I know I'm late to this party, but ... dayam, snowkarver!

DAYAM!

Good on ya, mate!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #137 of 138 Old 08-04-2014, 03:24 AM

Wow snowkarver, nice build!

I am in the planning phase of my build and I plan to use your room as inspiration.

Although I don't think I will be able to be as dedicated as your room as far as the acoustical panels go.

I like your lighting, tray ceiling, bass traps, and ikea seating.

What kind of results do you think I would get if I were only to double my drywall with GG, corner bass traps, and DIY autistic artwork ?

Anyhow awesome build!

Onkyo 876
SVS STS-02's
LFM-1 EX
Some 14ga "Lamp Cord"
A Frustrated Wife...
post #138 of 138 Old 08-11-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparker81 View Post
Wow snowkarver, nice build!

I am in the planning phase of my build and I plan to use your room as inspiration.

Although I don't think I will be able to be as dedicated as your room as far as the acoustical panels go.

I like your lighting, tray ceiling, bass traps, and ikea seating.

What kind of results do you think I would get if I were only to double my drywall with GG, corner bass traps, and DIY autistic artwork ?

Anyhow awesome build!

Hey thanks.

Don't forget that double drywall/GG serves a different purpose versus bass traps and panels - the former is for sound isolation versus tweaking room acoustics. I set out to solve a very specific noise control problem with my triple sheetrock wall (beefing up already-isolated construction that I share with a neighbor) rather than full soundproofing.

In general, just doubling up everything with GG won't do much if there are other paths for sound to travel (flanking through doors and other holes, conduction through framing members and the floor, HVAC, etc). You'll want to consult the various soundproofing threads for advice on that.

On the other hand, bass trapping and panels are beneficial in small spaces. There is a great acoustic treatment thread with lots of advice. In general though, I find that in little rooms, you can never have too much bass trapping. If done right it can really smooth things out.

Best of luck with your build!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb , Harmony 900 Remote
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page