Theater For Hobbits 2.0 - Mini 2.35 CIH Build in a 10x10 Alcove - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #151 of 152 Old 06-04-2017, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnddx View Post
Is this rig safe? How did you secure the inlet to the plate, just using those screws? It seems like it would be brittle. Normally sockets are secured to the steel junction box.

I assume you cut out the hole yourself?

Why make it a switched line?

I'm looking to build something similar so my UPS can protect the projector. This approach seems perfect, assuming I can do it safely.

I suspect the use case is similar to yours - my projector runs off a dedicated outlet with protected, filtered power coming from my UPS which is located at the other end of the room. Feeding this outlet inside the wall is obviously 14/2 Romex - which of course creates the problem - what's the safest way to feed that circuit with filtered power from the IEC cable coming out of a UPS?

They do make dedicated inlets like this for commercial use, but they are expensive and hard to find. Mine is located in an equipment closet away from prying hands and is basically a permanent installation, so I'm not concerned with high cycle durability.

With that said, I specifically used a nylon rather than hard plastic plate to reduce the brittleness and make it easier to cut the blank. The design of the IEC inlet spreads the forces quite well, and I have no apprehension about the safety of my setup. Finally, the line is switched because my UPS offers remote-controlled dedicated/delayed switching of each circuit individually (projector, amps, etc) so why not take advantage of an additional layer of control and redundancy.

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 152 Old 06-05-2017, 06:16 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked: 3154
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb , Harmony 900 Remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page