Which wall for my screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-16-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

My wife and I just had a baby and bought a new house to hold our growing family. Our previous house was quite small (1400 sqft) but I still managed to put together an HT in one of the bedrooms. It was small, only 10'x11', but it worked and I learned a lot. The new house has a room that I presume is supposed to be a media room, although the shape is quite strange. Here in Austin, Texas we don't have basements, so I've gotta take what I can get smile.gif.

Some comments:
  • The room is on the second floor, and the two strange corners both have ducting running down in them, so I can't easily remodel the room into a square.
  • I would prefer to have a fixed screen, so I don't want to hang a screen over the french doors and lower it.
  • I really wanted to try and do an AT screen, though I don't know if I'll have enough room for that.

Do you guys have any thoughts on which wall should be the screen wall? Here are my thoughts:

1. West wall: My issue with using the west wall is that the chairs or sofa would need to be up against the 3' outcrop in the south-east corner. That would be annoying for audio and the general feeling when in the room.

2. East wall: This wall wouldn't be bad. However, I think the door on the east wall (which goes to the loft) would be distracting.

3. North wall: This is my favorite so far. I could put the chairs in front of the french doors, but placed into the room far enough that you could still open the french doors and walk in. The left door of the french doors swings completely open so it flattens against the wall when open, meaning you could walk past it.

4. South wall: This is a non-started due to the french doors.

Anyway, do you guys have any ideas? Thanks!

- Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I think you need to provide some more info. Lots of questions come to mind right off the bat:

How big of a screen do you want?
What is the smallest you will accept?
What do the projector calculators show for placement options?
How big is your furniture?
What will your "normal" traffic patterns be (Will you use the loft everyday or only once in a while for storage or something?

One thought I did have... If you end up using the west, or maybe even the north, wall you could box out one of the corners to make it symmetrical with the other screen wall corner. This shouldn't be too hard and would give a nice look I think. If you use the west wall and box the southwest corner you might even be able to turn it into a nice equipment rack area. You could extend the box in the northwest corner to be symmetrical... say 2' X 2' and still have an 11' 9" screen wall area.

As for your concerns about the west wall. I think you could pull the sofa forward a bit and put some greenery behind it to lessen the effect of that southeast corner box. This would have you sitting 10-11' feet from the west wall which is close but depending on your preference and screen size may not be "too close".

Good Luck!

Congrats on your new addition to the family and new home!

post #3 of 7 Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 AM

Liked: 13
I'd say the north wall. I also like that the idea that Walter has of matching the southeast corner and making a an equipment rack in the southwest. I would put a false wall infront of the north wall so that it is one flat surface across even to the door. With that you could consider an AT screen with an inwall center speaker behind it.

The north east door, is that a closet or another entrance? If it's an entrance, I'd swing it outwards if possible. You probably have to stick with a 5.1 set up unless you go with ceiling speakers for 7.1. You're seating is probably far enough out from the back wall to consider 7.1.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-17-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I would put the screen on the west wall, building a false wall flush with the 2'-0" bump-out.

Seats on the east wall, held ~2' off the back wall for better sound. Wire for subs behind the seats.

Tim
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post

How big of a screen do you want?
What is the smallest you will accept?
What do the projector calculators show for placement options?
How big is your furniture?
What will your "normal" traffic patterns be (Will you use the loft everyday or only once in a while for storage or something?

Good questions. The problem at the moment is that I'm still in the early planning stages. I'm finding it hard to make time for HT construction while trying to move in, deal with a baby, and work smile.gif. All I've done thus far for the HT is paint the ceiling black. Given all of that, things are quite a blank slate. Here are the best answers I can give for now:

Screen: I'm not tied to a particular size. My preferred order of operations is to select the layout of the room, and then choose the screen size that best fits that layout. If that means I'm 14 ft from the screen, the screen will be bigger than if I'm 10 ft from the screen. The smallest I would accept is probably in the 90" range, which is how big my screen was at the previous house.

Placement: I have an old Planar projector (PD7150). Projectorcentral says that a 110" screen is right in the sweet spot for a little over a 12' throw with my projector. Zoomed all the way out, 110" is just under an 11ft throw, and zoomed all the way in, 110" is just under a 14ft throw. If I want a 100" screen, then I need between a 10' and 12.5' throw.

Furniture: I don't have any furniture yet. We have some friends with 4 barcalounger style theater chairs that they will give us. Their pretty big and ugly, but have the benefit of being free. If I go with those, they'll be pretty big I think (I have yet to actually see them in person, I've only seen pictures). The other option is just to purchase a new sofa and chair, or two love seats. One thing I learned from my last theater is that I actually don't particularly like theater chairs. I like being able to sit with my wife or my dog, which generally necessitates a sofa or love seat.

Traffic: No one will need to go through the HT to get anywhere. There are other access ways into the loft other than through the door in the northeast corner. In fact, I had considered removing that door, framing it in, and drywalling over it.

Thanks for the thoughts thus far. I like the idea of building an equipment rack in one of the open corners. Keep the thoughts coming.

- Andy
post #6 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 10:45 AM

North wall hands down. The bump out for the duct that's on that wall can be camouflaged by building out the other side to mirror the look as a stage.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

I would put the screen on the west wall, building a false wall flush with the 2'-0" bump-out.

Seats on the east wall, held ~2' off the back wall for better sound. Wire for subs behind the seats.

Tim

+1
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page