Masking panels for my 16:9 screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-23-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Today I finally built the masking for my screen. It should allow it to go anyway from 1.78:1 to 2.6:1. Aspects ratios less than 1.78:1 will still have black bars on the side. The work is partially based on the information I found in this thread.

Original screen aspect ratio = 1.78:1
Diagonal = 130"
Width = 113.3"
Height = 63.7"

Masked to 2.35:1
Diagonal = 123.1
Width = 113.3
Height = 48.2

Masked to 2.4:1
Diagonal = 122.7
Width = 113.3
Height = 47.2

What I built was two panels to mask the top and bottom parts of the screen.

Materials:
1x Rigid foam panel with silver siding on one side (4'x8') ($11.25)
Velcro 15 feet ($21)
3x8 foot J channel ($27)
Thumb Tacks ($1.30)
Already had tape , fabric.

I first cut 3 x 10" strips from the rigid foam panel. Since my projector is ceiling mounted , I cut the edge at a 30 degree angle to prevent the edge from casting a shadow on the screen.

The mask width is 118" so I had to use two pieces of the j-channel and the rigid foam and tape everything together.

I used thin velcro strips to attach to the GOM fabric.

To hang it I used the thumb tacks to attach velcro to the wood in the frames. Then I just attached the masking panels using velcro.

Adjusting it was fairly simple, I just play the movie and fine adjust the velcro.

Made a HUGE difference with contrast. I don't hate cinema scope any more.

Top panel is not even visible. Still have the cleanup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-20-2013, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
A little off topic but I saw your thread from a few years back about HP vs Peralescence.

Just curious what you ended up going with and are you satisfied?

I am looking at the PEarl right now on my short list.

Thoughts?

Marantz AV8801 / Rotel 2x RMB-1095 / RMB-1090 / Yamaha P7000S / Velodyne SMS-1 / DTech BP2000TL / DTech C/L/R 3000 / 4x - DTech BPVX/P Surrounds / DTech SM55 Heights / DTech SM65 Wides / SVS PB13 Ultra / 2x Buttkicker LFE / PTAE-8000U / Globalcache, iRule & Insteon.

Coffin Family Theater Build
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Post a copy of this over in the DIY Screen subforum. Many of us have so that others can search for ideas on masking.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #4 of 4 Old 09-05-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

A little off topic but I saw your thread from a few years back about HP vs Peralescence. Just curious what you ended up going with and are you satisfied? I am looking at the PEarl right now on my short list.Thoughts?
Sorry i havent been using the forums as frequentlly.. If i remember correctly the Peralescence did not have good colors and it had a tint to it. I read that in a review and i verified it using a sample.. The gain according to he review was also overrated which i could kind of see that but not verify as i didnt have the right equipment. The hp required the pojector to be mounted around half way so since mine is ceiling mounted i couldnt use it. I ended up getting the dalite damat which only has a 1.0 gain. I coldnt notice a difference in brightness between it and the pearlesence using the samples. The colors were a lot better. In 2d it is perfect in economode. In 3d , i usually use the normal mode while the economode is still watchable.. I am fairly happy with it..
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page