Dead Vent Design: Vent or Drywall First - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Is it best to put the supply vent boot in and drywall around it or drywall first then cut out the necessary hole for the square vent?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 04:54 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 618
need to know the design of your duct work, the dead vent, the location of this supply, the drywall plans etc. You haven't even started construction yet have you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Furnace duct work is all on the other side of the basement. Both the supply and the return vents for the theater room will be on the same wall up towards the ceiling as I have no room for soffits. Supply will be towards the back of the room and the return will be towards the front(screen) of the room. All of my equipment except for the PJ will be under the screen so I figure that will be the best place to put the return. This particular wall is a double wall as well.

What makes you say that sir?

I can put some pics on here when I get home from work to sort of illustrate where the deadvents will be going.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I 've got the jist of the room now I need to understand your design of a dead vent in relation to the room. As a general rule cutting holes in double layer walls is easier after the fact because you can do a more accurate job, the question is can you hook everything up from the outside looking in?

PROJECTS:

post #5 of 10 Old 07-02-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry it took me a while to respond. Here are some pics displaying my wall as it is currently. The first pic is of the theater side with the return opening NE of the tank. The second picture is just on the other side of the same spot.:

Using this dead vent design from Ted:

Instead the Supply and Return on the theater side will be at the top and exit on the bottom on the adjacent side. I had to put the drywall on the inside of the exterior wall of the theater as that wall was already there and drywall could not be placed on the outside of that wall. There is a new wall built in front of that wall if that makes sense.

I have 6" PVC that will go through the double wall and then 6" flex duct attached to that. Just need to know how best to start it with the boot and all and if it would be best to drywall up the theater side wall THEN cut out the hole for the boot and 6" PVC.

post #6 of 10 Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

No idea on the dead vent, but is that enough support for your tank?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh yes, I reinforced the double wall that 85% of the tank is resting on bigtime. I made sure of it as I did not want a pool in my theater room. It's been filled for the past 4 days and everything is still nice and level:)

Any thoughts on my specific dead vent design anyone?

post #8 of 10 Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

post #9 of 10 Old 07-14-2013, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello?

post #10 of 10 Old 07-14-2013, 05:30 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

drywall first then do surgery on the wall to add the dead vent. I don't think you will be happy with a 6 inch duct entering and leaving the theater. If you have more than 250 ft per minute of air through the duct and entrance to the theater there may be air turbulence noise. With a 6 inch duct 250 ft per minute is hit with a fan rated at 50 cu ft per min or more. I'd go for a dead vent design with a larger manifold as it enters the theater.

PROJECTS:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page