Ok, I just found this thread and joined AVS Forum to ask for advice.
Proposed HT Size at "finished" dimensions:
L = 23'
W = 14'
H = 7.5'
- The Front (Screen) Wall and the Left Side Wall of the HT are adjacent to the poured concrete foundation.
I am going to build a HT and "planning" and budgeting right now. So, regarding sound absorption/isolation/proofing/etc... what are your thoughts about the following, keep in mind I'm looking for the best bang for the buck:
Metal Studs 2x4 at 25 gage
Spacing: What design should I go with? Thinking of single layer not staggered. Should I go on centers at 16" or 24" spacing...?
Roxul Fire and Sound 3" insulation. I can purchase 24" wide on a "deal" that I found... What else is better/less expensive for wall insulation?
So, if I use Roxul at 24" wide and build the room to 16" on centers, I can cut Roxul to fit 16" spacing and put the 8" pieces in the ceiling top layer of two total insulation layers in the ceiling if need be...
I need to get a Solid Core door and install this before I start framing. Then ensure that the door is sealed with some type of weather stripping on sides and at the floor.WALLS:Unfinished Side of Basement
Finished HT Side of BasementCEILING:
- 5/8" drywall of some type
- 2x4 metal studs on 16" or 24" centers
- Roxul Insulation
- Some type of resilient channel: I don't know about the different types - I was thinking of something about 1/2" thick...
- I read that you can put a closed cell foam at the resilient channel to help with sound proofing before adding the first layer, your thoughts...?
- Celotex sound deadening board 1/2" for the first layer
- Overlapping the Celotex seams with QuietRock 1/2" for the second layer of drywall
- Caulking for sound
- 2x10 wood floor joists on 16" centers
- Pieces of leftover Roxul at 8" and 8"
- Second layer of Roxul at 16" wide
- Resilient Channel of some type
- 1 layer of 5/8" drywall of some type - Any recco's?
- The floors are concrete slab
- I was thinking of just carpet padding of some type
- Then a low profile/tight weave of carpet
- Do I need to consider another sound treatment here, if so what are your thoughts about using roofing roll here? Rolled Roofing or Roofing Roll has been mentioned in other threads as a less expensive alternative to adding mass...
I'd love to put in recessed lights in the ceiling, unless I build a sofit of some kind, I have reservations about turning all of this into swiss cheese...
What is too much to do if you are on a budget? What am I missing? What would you do differently?