Did you ever "weigh" your theater? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Well doing inside work off permit is one thing. But how is the OP going to add a second story above the garage and keep the work hidden. True, an inspector would need a court order to come into a house and look around but an obvious project visible from the street is another matter. They can issue a cease work order and if ignored they could have you arrested.

My ht was an addition to the house as well. There was no way I could have done that off permit. What did do was to permit and build out a "recreation room". Once signed off I did the internal HT buildout. Legal? I guess technically not but at least the structure is engineered and approved. My reasoning right or wrong as that the HT build is just decorating. There is nothing structural involved.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Some people feel compelled to follow the rules. Others don't mind breaking them. Personally I don't mind breaking them when it's easier, and I don't mind following them when it's also easy. The only time I break the rules is when it's easier to break them than follow them.

Remind me to never purchase a home from you. wink.gif

Permits are there to protect people. I had to tear down almost every wall in my "finished" basement after I purchased the house to fix all the stupid and potentially dangerous things the previous homeowner did. Now don't get me wrong, I have done plenty of things that probably aren't 100% on the level, but I also live in a pretty lax area, and I certainly don't mess with items that should be left to the professionals.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #33 of 34 Old 07-08-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Your right ^

You will note I specifically said we did everything to code so it's not a problem if I ever sell. I was helped by professional level skilled people too. I just didn't take a permit.

There's a difference between doing the same quality work but not taking a permit and half-assing it.

For a second floor build, or anything major visible from public view you'll have to take a permit. It's just what you do.

If I needed an engineered second floor build I'd certainly take permit (I am). My comments were more about his view of USA building versus Europe (where he lives ).

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #34 of 34 Old 07-08-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Well doing inside work off permit is one thing. But how is the OP going to add a second story above the garage and keep the work hidden. True, an inspector would need a court order to come into a house and look around but an obvious project visible from the street is another matter. They can issue a cease work order and if ignored they could have you arrested.

My ht was an addition to the house as well. There was no way I could have done that off permit. What did do was to permit and build out a "recreation room". Once signed off I did the internal HT buildout. Legal? I guess technically not but at least the structure is engineered and approved. My reasoning right or wrong as that the HT build is just decorating. There is nothing structural involved.
TARPS! I'll wrap the house in a giant fumigation tent, build under cover of night, then pull the cover off in the spring and be like "What? It was always that tall."

In my city, there is an assessment done every five years or so to verify internal finished square footage for tax liability. You can refuse them entry, but then they "guess", and your refusal removes your ability to appeal. There are some projects (swapping outlets, room upgrades, etc.) that are well within my abilities, but it's the big ones where the city really should be involved. I purposefully kept my shed under 10'x12', and my retaining wall under 4' tall so I didn't have to pull permits, per the city.

For this build, I'm getting an engineer involved not just to keep the city from getting butthurt, but to ensure the safety of my family, friends, and property. First quote on a PE was $150 an hour-not bad, but still looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

There's a difference between doing the same quality work but not taking a permit and half-assing it.
Depends on the work being done. If you have a home that used to be a 3 bedroom, and you added an egress window to make the basement den into a 4th bedroom, you could do all the work yourself, and it could be every bit as good as a contractor would do. However, when it comes time for the city, your insurance company, or a potential buyer ask some question, a lack of permit can cause some unpleasant situations if someone decides the work is suspect because the Almighty Piece of Paper isn't present.

Pulling permits is another expense I'd rather not incur, especially when the city isn't being hired to provide the service in question, but it's very cheap insurance that shifts long term liability off of me and onto the city. Plus, they've got enough reasons to be annoyed with me.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page