Interesting ho OP seems to have lost interest in his own thread ... LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hey all, thanks for all the responses. I finally have time today to log on and post something.

Rexlan, thanks so much for taking the time to reply with your detailed post for the HVAC. I called several HVAC places and it seems like none of them really understand the details of a soundproof room and the challenges it represents. As it is, the mini-split that one HVAC person specced out based on room dimensions (Fujitsu 18RCLX 1.5 ton heat pump with cassette in the ceiling) will be a shade under 5k installed. Based on that, the package system will be even more and is a lot for my small space. I need to make sure I have $$ left over for a projector, else I will be acting out charades on the stage vs watching a movie :)

So I think I will use a mini-split for heating/cooling duties, and based on some conversations with Ted from the Soundproofing Company, I will construct some sort of thinner version of a dead vent to bring air in and out of the room. I need to see where the addition attaches to the house to see where I can draw air from the equipment room, or maybe the dining room.

Nightlord, Fred and Dennis, thanks for the posts. I think I will go with standard construction techniques for the walls (GG, DD, clips/channels) vs some more exotic configuration. I barely got a handle on the basic techniques that most of the theater builders use and going outside the box will probably not end well for my build :)

I did spend some time talking with Brian from GIK acoustics regarding treating the room after it is finished. The short version of that conversation is that I will use an ECOSE covered front wall with black fabric, 2 pair Tri Traps for the front corners, 3 242 panels for each side wall for reflections, and 2 Monster panels on the rear wall centered to the main seating position. I will also have to do something for the right most corner that has that funky little jog.

Lots of rain here this week so not as much done on the build, only tarred the bottom outside of the cinder blocks and filled in the dirt on each side. On Monday another foot will be dug out of the center and the 2 inch cement floor will be poured.

Below is the latest picture of the build. Have a great 4th of July all! Second picture is my 2 cats hoping for a Holiday chipmunk treat :)

Avengers Assemble
Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Things are moving fast now. I can actually stand in the theater space. Soon the Home Theater specific stuff will start smile.gif

Avengers Assemble
Old 07-12-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

I think it might be time for clips/channels in the near future. With that in mind, how do you go about hanging things from a wall that is double dry wall and supported by clips and channels? Do you have to make special provisions to hang things. I will need to hang the following items:

1) 4 surround speakers (16 lbs. each) I am not going to have any columns and haven't seen many builds on here that address mounting speakers

2) mini-split (31 lbs)

3) screen and frame on front wall (weight ??)

If there is some extra support I need to account for, how would it be attached and would it effect the decoupling of the room?

Thanks again in advance for any advice you all can provide.

Also adding a few new pictures, I thought I read on here that something hasn't really happened unless there are pictures smile.gif

Avengers Assemble
Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Are you talking to the guys at SoundProofingCompany? Best source for this kind of information.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:18 AM

Liked: 10
Subscribed!!!

Great thread and great detail on this thread!!!!!!!!! wink.gifwink.gifwink.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Would you mind disclosing the estimated cost of building the home addition (not including the theater build costs for acoustical treatments and the home theater material/components etc)????

I live in New Jersey and the problem with most Jersey homes is that THEY HAVE SMALL/LOW CEILING BASEMENTS mad.gifmad.gif!!!!!!!!!

One of my solutions for the house I may buy is to have to add an addition like you and a few other members here have had to do!!!! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Guys, lots of progress in 2 weeks. I have to get better at updating. 

Addition wrapped up.

Siding added, addition is now weather tight.

Second layer of sub floor GG and nailed down.

Sub floor down, picture taken from the back looking at left wall.

Looking at right wall.

From the front looking toward the back.

Almost decided to go with these chairs, throw up a sheet and call it a wrap for my theater :)

Avengers Assemble
Old 07-30-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Updates continued..

Wall separating equipment room from the theater space.

Floor of equipment room raised up 8 inches so the step down from the dinning room is only one step. The riser will also be 8 inches and match the level of the equipment room floor, so when you enter the theater you are already on the riser.

Equipment room floor and doorway opening completed.

Starting to add clips using laser power :) 

Working around the room adding clips.

Clips on door corner.

Back wall clipped.

Left wall clipped.

Right wall clipped.

Avengers Assemble
Old 07-30-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Talked with Ted at the Soundproofing Co. and the solution for mounting the speakers and addressing the point load is to add 2 clips per channel in the general area of the speaker, and to use plywood as the first layer instead of sheet rock to ensure the screws will hold the speaker mounts. The plywood will stay in contact with the floor and be pushed up against the channel and fastened . This will prevent the plywood from sliding down.

I imagine it will look something like this for clip placement.

Avengers Assemble
Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

No further progress. Still waiting for an electrician to show up. I have two quick questions, one is for acoustic sealant around the perimeter or the subfloor, the other is regarding the electrical plan.

1) I didn't use any acoustic sealant between the first layer of sub floor and the bottom plate. When I look down at the second layer of subfloor, it has at least a 1/4 inch gap around the edge of the room and does not contact the bottom plate. Should I seal that gap with acoustic sealant before the sheetrock is put up? Pictures enclosed.

Avengers Assemble
Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

question #2

Below is my electrical plan for the room. Do you think it is worth putting the sockets in the stage and the sockets in the riser as floor mounted? I know it would cut down on the number of cuts into the wall but it seems the floor mounted sockets are a pain and very expensive. I have only found brass or metal ones that will satisfy code. Maybe I should just put duplex socket on the back wall and have a surge protector strip for the chairs to plug into. Not sure how I could hide the sub sockets up front, any ideas?

Any additional feedback on my electrical plan would be most appreciated.

Avengers Assemble
Old 08-14-2013, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I would love to hear the math behind the electrical needs.

like you need

x for your amp and speakers
x for subs
x for your lights

a single line holds x so you need this many - that kind of stuff.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Jrock, there was no actual math behind my decision smile.gif.  I just wanted a separate circuit for the projector, one for the amps, and one for the rest of the equipment. I also wanted the lighting and any sockets required by code to be on a separate circuit as well. I only want to do this once and since the walls are opened now I made sure there was more than enough to handle my needs.

Avengers Assemble
Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by killravenx View Post

Hey Jrock, there was no actual math behind my decision smile.gif
.  I just wanted a separate circuit for the projector, one for the amps, and one for the rest of the equipment. I also wanted the lighting and any sockets required by code to be on a separate circuit as well. I only want to do this once and since the walls are opened now I made sure there was more than enough to handle my needs.

this is where being a finance guy gets you into trouble - I want everything to fit neatly onto an excel spreadsheet smile.gif
Old 08-15-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Excel can be most useful even for us engineers.

Under construction: the Larch theater
Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I had the electric and pre-wire done this week. Looking at where some of the wires cross I was wondering if it would be an issue.

This first shot shows the grey speaker wire for rear speakers crossing the wires for the  can lighting in the soffits.

This grey speaker wire is crossing the white electric wire for a 15amp outlet and lighting.

larger shot and different angle of the first picture.

yellow is the romex that carries voltage to the datacom passthru kit to plug in the projector, white wire goes to can lighting, grey wire is cat6 going to projector and black it HDMI going to projector.

slightly lower shot of above picture, whit is can lightin black HDMI and grey cat6

This shot is in the equipment room, the other side will be the back wall of the theater and those are the black HDMI, 2 x cat6, yellow romex for datacom kit to plug in projector, and white is for extra 15amp socket if I ever need to add something for fans to cool projector.

Do you think any of this will be an issue?

This is my last chance to do something about it before the walls are closed up.

Thanks in advance.

Avengers Assemble
Old 08-30-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Some updates:

Insulation added. Stapled 1/2 inch from edge so is doesn't lay on channels.

The infamous puddy pads on the adjustable gang box.

HRV for fresh air supply outside the room in the basement.

Left is supply and right is return, coming from the HRV and going into the equipment room, turning into flex ducts and into the theater.

This shot is in the equipment room looking at the flex ducts from the HRV. The supply will head up in the ceiling and down the center of the room while the return has a few right angles strapped together and will poke thru the back will and turn into a soffit.

Avengers Assemble
Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Walls all insulated, channels up and supply sticking out of the far bay.

Return will poke go thru the back wall over the door and travel in the soffit for a bit.

Ceiling drywall attached to the channel.

First layer completed. Front wall.

Right side with plywood for speaker area.

Left side with plywood speaker area.

Back wall is all plywood to hold speakers, mini-split, and 19 lb acoustic panels.

Avengers Assemble
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Room fully DD with GG. Everything went smoothly except for forgetting which way one of the walls overlapped and needed to cut two of the corners out by 5/8, pry one sheet of drywall off the wall and tuck it into the 5/8 cut. For future reference, making a small mark on the floor denoting which way the seams overlap would prevent this from happening.

Started taping out the screen area. Finished dimensions are 19'6" L x 13' W x 9' 10" H.

The chair represents the first row and the picture is taken from the back wall. Trying to decide if I can fit a few more inches for the screen. Right now it is 123" 16 x 9. I will have some fairly large speakers (Revel Performa3 F208) on each side so not sure there is much more I can squeeze in.

So far I am thinking of a soffit size of 12" H x 14" W for the sides. Not sure about the front and back. I need to reread many theater builds on the forum to get a sense of what would work in the front and back.

Feedback on any of the above posts would be great.

Thx.

Avengers Assemble
Old 08-31-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Is there some percentage of a room I shouldnt go over when soffiting a room? At the minimum I need 12" x 12" soffits to hide the flex duct on the 2 sides.

Avengers Assemble
Old 08-31-2013, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Probably a needle in a haystack, but anyone know what thread this pic came from? I like the curved soffit and stage and wanted to see more details.

Thx.

Avengers Assemble
Old 09-01-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller.......

Avengers Assemble
Old 09-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking good! Can't tell you where that pic is from.

AFAIK, there is no hard and fast rule for soffit coverage. I sized for what I needed to have in them, marked the locations on the ceiling, then used the eyeball test and rounded to the next logical dimension. Makes for easier measuring and cutting IMO...
Old 09-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Looking good! Can't tell you where that pic is from.

AFAIK, there is no hard and fast rule for soffit coverage. I sized for what I needed to have in them, marked the locations on the ceiling, then used the eyeball test and rounded to the next logical dimension. Makes for easier measuring and cutting IMO...

Thx GWCR! I am taping the wall up some more and even held up a few comic book boxes to the ceiling to get an idea :)

Nice find KNKKNK! Looks like there was one more pic in there to reference. At least I know where it came from, looked for that one for hours with no luck. I will name pics something meaningful next time so I can find them again :)

Avengers Assemble
Old 12-02-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hey All,

Rug and Equipment should be in by next week. Here are a few pics!

Avengers Assemble
Old 12-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking Great!! Good work!

(and the crowd chants...)more pics, more pics, more pics!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Nice work Raven! Good uniform light distribution from the LED strips. I agree with GWCR, you need to post more pics. Would be nice to see some of the work going on behind the scenes along with the milestone pics that you are posting. Keep up the good work!

Tags
Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound 12 Tubes