New Home Build, HT a must. pls help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI All,

Working on blueprints for full home now, trying to stay at 2,000Sqft total and would like 4 BDRM 2 car garage, but I need a HT for movies,gaming and sports..

I originally wanted a "detached" garage with a HT room above it so the noise would not wake the family, I'm just not sure this is going to be an option with my limit on SOFT (dam taxes). so i wont count it out totally just for now i would assume i will try to add a room somewhere in the home for a HT or basement..

I am looking for help with a few room ideas. listed below. and TY in advance for any and all help.

I wont bother with "what type of projector" etc.. but more like room design,lighting,sound setup etc.. Thnx

my budget for HT room and ALL equipment is approx $3-5,000 if that's possible.

SO what "size" room is desirable for best picture/sound setup? I would like about 120" screen and 3D.. 5.1 audio seems right, i don't see the need to spend more just for 7.1 when I'm sure 5.1 is universally streamlined and sounds amazing?

Of course I would say 30'x30' if i could afford that but cannot, so to try to keep it realistic i was thinking more like 20'x15'.. not sure how many people that would hold along with the furniture,devices,equipment etc

for lighting i was thinking recessed lights, maybe 3 zones (fr,mid,rear) with dimmers?

Sound,Console,Device rack? not sure on location options so i was hoping you guys could help me with this, what seems to be the most practical location for all this? cable box,xbox,bluray player etc? how do you control it all just pointing at the screen?

If gaming is just as important as movies,sports, would I need to go with DLP over LCD or no?

Ceiling material? just paint a ceiling black or something somewhat cheap i can add to the ceiling for dampening? I would like to do one of those "fiber" setups so it looks like a night sky..

I have more ?'s but would like to get the basics answered first. so THANK YOU once again for your time!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i think a budget of 5k is too low...are you diy or will you hire a contractor - adding cans, all the eqip, screen, seating etc has a decent cost - do you have kids? how many? i am only asking because that may determine the size of the ht room in relation to the living space of the kids. in a 2000 sq ft house a 20x15 ft room seems a bit large with 4 bedrooms and the other needed rooms (kitchens bathrooms, living room etc). our first home was 1900 sq feet with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and there is no way i could have worked in a theater, especially of that size....now if you have no kids then you would have a lot more room to work with.

think about the space first then worry about the gear -
post #3 of 11 Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I did a cost out of mine and it was $10k for materials alone and I'm pretty sure I missed some stuff.

Like you, I don't have $10k to spend (nor will I until 20 years from now when all my kids are gone)

so the advice that I have been given (and it makes sense I think) is to design the room in its final state and then figure out what you can strip off and have it still work.

In my example, I will likely forgo the green glue and second layer of drywall for my first build because I can't afford the green glue and I also can't afford a sound system that would be loud enough to necessitate that much treatment.

BUT I'm making sure to get the sound isolation clips and insulation into the walls/structure before I finish phase 1 because that would be near impossible to do in a later phase. So I've tried to think of my project as a multi-year, multi-phase project but of course I also haven't even started on it smile.gif

But you get the logic at least....
post #4 of 11 Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I agree with Jason. Start with your expectations for the room - how will you use it? Think in detail about that - times of day (after bedtime? with sun streaming through a window?), number of people, how long will you be there for each session, door open, door closed, lights on, etc. Think about this not as a room in a house, but an engineered solution for your entertainment needs. Once you define what needs it should meet, you can define the performance parameters of it - lighting, ventilation, acoustics, as well as dimensions and proportions.

I know I've gotten all abstract and crazy on you here, but there is a wide world of possibilities, and your post suggests you may not be very familiar with all of them - so we need some help from you to push you in the right direction. A lot of these decisions may end up being dictated by the practical considerations you started with, like taxes and property lines.

In any case, room size can't be directly linked to sound quality or picture quality in any way that makes sense. For home-theater sized rooms, the problems are all pretty much the same - high ratio of reflected to direct sound, modal issues in bass response, insufficient ceiling height for risers and clear sight lines. We work through all those when you've picked a space. Picture quality has a lot to do with distances, ratios, and light control; again that's all worked out once you have a space defined.

With all that said, let's look at your specific questions. 120" screen with 3D and 5.1 surround in a room 15x20 is totally reasonable. Many would choose 7.1 anyway, but that's fine. A room that large will fit six, maybe eight, but there are plenty of other things that go into making that number of seats into good seats.

Equipment location is generally flexible, with the use of RF remotes or IR repeaters, or other more advanced control solutions. I prefer to get the equipment out of the room when possible, to avoid the lights, noise, and heat that goes along with them.

I can't comment on DLP vs LCD.

I'm not sure what sort of ceiling dampening you're considering.

A fiber optic star ceiling is a pretty major project and will be very tough to fit into a $5000 budget. That budget puts pretty serious limits on the overall performance of the system - which is not to say that you won't be glad to have it, but it might make a whole room devoted to it seem out of proportion.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

I think if your budget is 3-5k, or even a little higher, you're just not going to be able to get the job done.  Similar to JRock3x8 above, my materials alone were about 8k, plus another 6-8 for electronics.  I did my theater myself, and the costs still climbed to about 20k.  I didn't even do DDGG on the walls/ceiling for sound proofing!

The costs add up!

I think you may be happier with a media room setup.  There is less infrastructure type costs and with sports and gaming.  A general media/living room is easier for gaming and sports activities if done with a plasma/LCD, where a projector has strict lighting requirements to get maximum performance from it.

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #6 of 11 Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
just to add to this - we are estimateing our new room - just equipment - to be appx $7500 for 106" screen, projector, speakers (lcr and rears) and seating - i think our riser and stage build will fit in to that as well and maybe the paint. but from a new build stand point it cost me 600 to add the all to make this room and about 350 for insulation (no decoupling or double dry wall), plus an IT tube for the pj hdmi cable and about 80 for a 20 amp out let.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 PM

Liked: 12
I spent exactly $5k on my home theater. I will be posting pics and listing the equipment when I get back home from a business trip. 3D, 120", 7.1, etc.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-27-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all.. I look forward to the PICS and info on the $5k budget

I should note that i am at the VERY beginning of this process and just trying to figure things out. I do have a child 11months at the moment and could possibly be building just a 3 bedroom home, not sure yet. was hoping to maybe make the home a 3 story house and leave the 3rd story completely unfinished at first then add the theater after. A room size of 12x15 might be more realistic but i do worry about the amount of people as for football games 10-12 people would be considered the norm. I was hoping to add a "island" type setup in the back to accommodate eating and more people easily..

the plans should be coming into play soon, i just hope i can get enough info from you guys to get me "designing" the room correctly. I prob wont go with the sound isolation stuff as it will cost too much and if i have to cut things down for budget reason it makes the most sense to make it something like that.. (for now atleast)

The stuff i am worried about is the "wiring" i would rather overdo the needed wires while its still being framed rather than needed to add to it. Whats the best choice here? an external closet seems realistic for the rack of gear, i like the idea of an "IT tube" for all the wires but i read someone say make sure you run CAT5 or CAT 6 cableS to your closet and Projector... what are these needed for?

any and all help is appreciated. TY all
post #9 of 11 Old 06-27-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Also...

for 5.1 is the normal setup. 1 Left of screen, 1 Right of Screen. 1 below or above screen (center) and then 1 rear left, 1 rear right and Sub-woofer in Middle of Room or somewhere else? Thanks

Lighting should be recessed? but is there a certain type that the sound wont make rattle or anything like that?

Is a "drop" ceiling an option? or is better to just have a normal ceiling and paint it dark blue or black?

What is the recommended ceiling height? is 8' or 9' better? Thanks
post #10 of 11 Old 06-27-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Subwoofer position is hard to determine up front. I'd recommend planning for as many locations as reasonable.

Recessed lighting is a popular and good choice, but without preventative measures opens the room to more sound leakage. Some fixtures are supposed to be less prone to noise, but expect to caulk them to keep them from rattling.

Drop ceilings are generally poor choices for home theaters, for a variety of reasons.

Keep as much headroom as possible for acoustics and general comfort, especially if using a riser.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-29-2013, 10:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike12 View Post

Thank you all.. I look forward to the PICS and info on the $5k budget

I am uploading pics of my theater and will post the link to the thread here shortly.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1479528/my-5-000-budget-home-theater
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound 12 Tubes

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page