AVS Forum banner

RESCUE MY THEATER - Erskine design - Parkinson (BIGmouthinDC) construction

34K views 184 replies 72 participants last post by  BIGmouthinDC 
#1 ·
BACKGROUND

An upper end NoVA home is foreclosed by the bank and bought by a new family. It has a theater room, it looks great but there are a few significant problems. The home suffered many damages as the original builder owner declared bankruptcy, Between the owner who may have stripped items for another home, the subs who weren't paid and may have resorted to self help, vandals and water damage apparently the home was in sad shape. The bank put some lipstick on the pig and found a couple willing take on completing what will be a magnificent home. I was told the water damage was severe in the theater room so the drywall and trim might be the banks doing.

BEFORE PICTURES

See less See more
#2 ·
THE PLAN

Rough measurements for Dennis to do his thing: the room is 26 x 34 1/2 feet, No provision for equipment other than a bunch of cables coming out the wall in the corner by the window.

Concept sketch from Dennis

Grand step up entrance, Projecor/equipment room with portal glass separation.

#3 ·
DEMO

The double layer 3/4 T&G OSB riser was nailed, glued and screwed. It wasn't going to come apart, So I sawed it into 16 inch wide pieces and pried each section up. Decking still attached to the top plates of the riser framing.

Free Riser, some assembly required, you haul

Haven't started the drywall but guess what, it's all going and here is the reason why:

Yes double layers on RC2 channel, triple leaf system. What this means is first you strip the outer layer then unscrew the channel then pull the first layer, nothing is going to go easy on this one. There will be action shots next week, including a shot of the dumpster that is 100 yards from the basement door.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23  /t/1479042/rescue-my-theater-erskine-design-parkinson-bigmouthindc-construction#post_23469975

Wow, looks like you will have your hands full for a long time... should I start pouting now or skip the pouting and start crying???

Don't worry your project is still my #1 priority, I thought I would tackle the demo here during my time out on your job!

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1479042/rescue-my-theater-erskine-design-parkinson-bigmouthindc-construction#post_23470246

Probably good exercise having the dumpster 100 yards away
What's up with that ?
After months of working on the house the owners are planning on moving in within the week. They didn't want the dumpster sitting in front of their nice hew home so there was an adjacent road and a break in their fence out back so that is where it will sit, Don't worry about me getting all that exercise I plan on sharing it with some guest workers. In reality the distance from the basement door to the front driveway isn't that much closer. Also the current location is downhill all the way!

#11 ·
Looks like a really nice, large space. Also the entrance can be something special. I'd love to have room for something like that with a big marquee and columns outside the theater.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred  /t/1479042/rescue-my-theater-erskine-design-parkinson-bigmouthindc-construction#post_23470219

And this is why I will never trust anyone to have done it the right way.

On that pic : Just... wow...

The room had some excellent trim work. Nice ceiling curves too! To be honest, my wife sold a family a home with a similar scenario, it WAS a 1+ mil home, foreclosed on, and they moved in. The theater looked VERY similar to that one layout wise (a few feet smaller each dimension, without all of the trim). Really big wide room, double doors on each side of the riser, big white columns in the middle.... and... nothing else. No places for wiring, etc. But they didn't care, they just purchased a cheap projector from bestbuy and a small fixed screen (Like 80") and were ecstatic! (Of course I know this because my wife asked me to go mount them both as a favor. )

You on the otherhand... well you have your work cut out for you! That is a huge space! What kind of budget are they looking at? Are they going the full 9 on that space?

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1479042/rescue-my-theater-erskine-design-parkinson-bigmouthindc-construction#post_23469681

THE PLAN

Rough measurements for Dennis to do his thing: the room is 26 x 34 1/2 feet, No provision for equipment other than a bunch of cables coming out the wall in the corner by the window.

Concept sketch from Dennis

Grand step up entrance, Projecor/equipment room with portal glass separation.

I will be following along close. I want to see the process and results with those dimensions. My dimensions are very similar.

Big space.

#16 ·
A new chapter of the Parkinson Build!! I'm really looking forward to this one as it seems very interesting, the story, the house, the room, the design.

p.s. man, I guess it will be harder and harder to grab you over here with all the HT lining up pretty much for the rest of the year now.

#17 ·
If it was drywall screwed to ceiling joist the quickest way this contractor once told me to get it all down without doing it the slow way by using a hammer is to get a 8 foot piece of 2x4 and stick it up into the hole and pull down and have fun along the way and sure enough he was right.

We were taking down a old ceiling in a 80 year old house with the old 1/4 x 1 little planks nailed to the ceiling joist and plastered over.

Yes it was fun.

My brother and I also used this method on vertical walls and it worked fine.

It sure beats using a hammer and doing it the slow way.

Looks like you might have to use a sawzaw on that one.

#18 ·
Update, The Honduran/Ecuadorian demo team is on the job, and we made good progress, should rap up tomorrow. I'm exhausted.

Meet Adrian, the leader of the group and a keeper, also does drywall

Attacking the wall

meet the adjacent shower, Oh joy

not 100% sure what I'm looking at here, I really need to understand why I have massive lumber in the wall and Why there is a big gap in the floor, I will get my flashlight and figure this out. I have a bad feeling that the adjacent bathroom, and the plumbing may be involved, but if that was a trench for the plumbing why wasn't it filled in? Ponderous.

Luckily there are no obstacles between the basement and the dumpster. I might have mentioned something about a 100 yards.

Ok so we thought the ceiling was two layers. Well it mostly is except where they did a plumbing redo. LOL

Neat the end of day one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.