New Home Media Room Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all ... I am new, been lurking for awhile.

I am working on building a new home this fall and want to get started with my layout. The first question I have is the overall room size that is desirable.

Just me and the wife and we like a big screen. I plan on an overhead projector and I already have some surround stuff. I am not sure how big of a room I need and I'd like some of your thoughts on that.

We are in Florida ... no basement and new construction is $$$$ .... I was initially thinking something like 13'6" x 20' with 9'4" coffered ceilings w/indirect light. I can make it smaller if that is better. I will have about $8,00 for a budget to set the room up - screen, projector, etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-27-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Can the door be relocated, and the room squared up? And loose the french doors?? A single door with gasket, would help to keep the room's noise floor lower.

Is that a double window on the bottom wall? Can it be eliminated?

Have you considered an acoustically transparent screen? It would allow you to raise the center channel speaker, run three identical front speakers
(and hide them) plus hide sub/s and bass traps, plus get your front LR speakers out of the room's corners. Better audio.

If that closet is going to house the av rack, is it possible to flip the room and have a suitable entry? This would put the av rack out of line of sight for the screen.
Less distracting.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-28-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
All good tips and I will look into them.

The window has to stay because it is the front of the house ... but I will have a wall inside so it won't show.

That is the equipment area and I was going to have it closed off. It backs up to the garage and I am not sure I can relocate it.

Acoustically transparent screen I have read + and - about them and not sure what is the best. I want a decent projector and a very good screen. I have my speakers and surround receiver gear already. Not top of the line but adequate. It would be nice to have it out of sight.

Thanks for the input ... unfortunate only one reply for 35 views!
post #4 of 4 Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 PM

Liked: 11

Hey rexlan,

Here is a thread on the AVS forum discussing room dimensions:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/793482/question-about-golden-ratios-for-ht-room/0_100

For my room I tried to go as wide and as long as I could and tried to avoid one dimension being an even multiple of another.

That's how I ended up with 13' width x 20' length x 9.5' height. Seems like your dimenstions are close to mine. I will not know how well my room works for another few months!

Thanks again for your replies on my thread.

Avengers Assemble
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page