Do basement walls adjacent to concrete foundation (solid poured) have to sound proofed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My theater and basement construction is taking place. I'm in the process of putting in drywall. My questions is, on the walls that are adjacent to the foundation needing of sound proofing treatment. The framing does not touch the floor joist or concrete walls. My other two walls are 2x 4 studding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Its always better to use some kind of insulation, behind the sheetrock. It helps to suck up some of the soundwaves, which makes the room less live. A room that is too live is not a good thing with MC system.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 06:52 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 631
You can't skip the exterior walls, but not for the reason cited. Insulation behind the drywall has nothing to do with room sounding live.

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Can you explain the science of this to me, skipping exterior walls? The walls have r-13 now between studs. Right now I have a simple iPod dock and the sound is hear clear as day in my bedroom directly above theater room. The ceiling was drywalled from builder to pass inspection. The other two walls are one leading into the mechanical room with the hot water tank a d the furnace and electrical control panel, the other is adjacent to my home gym. I assume I should drywall everything, then add my channels and clips to the non exterior walls, and ceiling with 2 layers of dry wall and green glue.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 631
I'm on holiday read the articles at soundproofingcompany.com. You want insulation, clips,channel and double layers of 5/8 drywall with GG on the ceiling and all walls. Address holes in the shell for lights and electrical, make sure duct work doesn't conduct sound, and add a beefy door.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #6 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have 3 1/4 walls in front of below grade poured concrete and took the clips, channel, 2 layers 5/8 drywall with green glue all the way to the pressure treated 2x4 resting on top of the poured wall. This mitigates the sound flanking path typical construction creates. The one wall adjacent to by storage room is staggered stud. It saved quite of bit of money.

In this pic the acoustical sealant still needs to be completed.

This is under the the hvac supply
post #7 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 08:14 PM

Liked: 11
Yes, see Soundproofing.com. Decouple walls from concrete... helps contain bass (low frequency sound waves). It's for soundproofing, not acoustic, reasons.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound 12 Tubes

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page