Corner shelves for components - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-29-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Trying finish up our basement and pulled all the cable/wires into a corner in hopes of finding a nice corner stand that would be both functional and decorative to the wife.

I've drawn a blank on decent component stands as I need to put only the following in the corner:

AV receiver
PS3
PC

The PC is the most difficult piece as it's a mid tower and quite deep. I envisioned putting this on the bottom shelf that would be just above the baseboard thus allowing me to hide excess wire underneath.

Any thoughts on building these? I can imaging it's that hard and was think to running a 1x2 or 2x2 horizontally on each wall and then placing the shelves on top of that support. I have some excess cherry and mahogany that can be planed down to use or can just grab 3/4 plywood. I'm afraid the plywood will sag since shelf has to be large enough to hold Yamaha RX-V673.

With shelf size this large, I would plan on hitting two studs on each wall.

Any thoughts? Anyone done something similar?

Thanks!

Kip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-30-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I think it'd be easier to build a corner cabinet out of plywood and then place it in the room. Attaching wood cleats to the wall is a bit of a pain - hard to get everything aligned and level. Plywood should be plenty strong if you support it on all sides. Use a piece of hardwood for the front edge that's about 3/4" x 2".

Can you post a sketch?

I'd make the bottom 18" or so like a storage cubby hole, with a door on it. It's a good place to put your power strip and all the excess power cables, wall warts, network switch, etc. (AKA Snake Ball).

High Desert Theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building Bass - 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Surrounds -

Storage -

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page