neverfinished's neverfinished theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-29-2013, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello All,

I have been lurking around this site for some time now reading and researching to one day achieve my goal of having a home theater to be proud of. Previously I had a movie room which consisted of a cheap 720p projector, 84" screen, a cheap HTIB and 3 kmart theater seats. We recently had our dream home built and I was fortunate to work a 18' L x 14.5' W dedicated theater room into the plans. I would love to be able to have the resources to build an amazing theater with no budget to speak of but that really isnt reality for me at this time. I wouldnt have been able to achieve my goal without the help from this site both directly and otherwize. That being said here are a few pics of my recently completed $5,000 home theater.

These are a few pics taken with an iphone of construction.

room2_zps51450cba.jpg

958d88ae-6bc6-4aad-b170-bfef954e7323_zpsd6ba65d9.jpg

room4_zps79839c01.jpg

Here is the room as it sits 99% completed.

053_zpsda46a89a.jpg

037_zps401b2ac4.jpg

040_zpsbaa450eb.jpg

048_zps8dadee17.jpg

052_zps1c2afc04.jpg

041_zpseccb28a5.jpg

044_zps96513a71.jpg

046_zpsa4d67c7b.jpg

Here is a list of equipment. Everything was purchased brand new.

Epson 3020 3D projector $1299
Elite ER120WH1 120" screen $325
Onkyo NR515 receiver $250
Pioneer BDP 150 3D blu ray player $90
2 Infinity P363 towers $200
Infinity PC 351 center $225
4 Infinity CS60 in wall surrounds $180
Klipsch RW12D $300
6 Seatcraft Eros seats $1600
Olympus matte grey paint $120
4 sconces $80
Misc (Cables, mounts, surge protectors, etc) $340

TOTAL $5009

I was able to cross everything off my wish list that I've always wanted. Seating for 6, 120" screen, 3D with 7.1 surround all for $5K. Thanks for taking the time to view my thread and thanks for any comments, suggestions, and feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-29-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved for any future upgrades (Ie, adding a 4th seat to the rear row & possible acoustical treatments)
post #3 of 15 Old 06-30-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Nice job and budget! I'd suggest an astragal and threshold on the doors. And once that light leak is blocked, the brass hinges could use a coat of black paint.

High Desert Theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building Bass - 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #4 of 15 Old 06-30-2013, 07:43 AM

Liked: 10
Great theater for awesome Budget!
post #5 of 15 Old 06-30-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words. I definitly plan on addressing the light leak. The hinges are brushed nickel although they do appear brass in the pics.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-30-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Excellent build, and I especially like what you had achieved with just $5000 budget! Great work!!

~ Gary

)

post #7 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm debating whether to do some acoustical panels or not.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome, I like it alot..

Questions for you

What are the dimensions of the Room?

How is that projector? how is the 3D?

Does the screen feel "small" in anyway or once in the room does it seem huge?

How many "coats" of paint did that take?

What floor in the home is this located on? Does it get very loud from outside the room?

THANK YOU
post #9 of 15 Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike12 View Post

Awesome, I like it alot..

Questions for you

What are the dimensions of the Room?

How is that projector? how is the 3D?

Does the screen feel "small" in anyway or once in the room does it seem huge?

How many "coats" of paint did that take?

What floor in the home is this located on? Does it get very loud from outside the room?

THANK YOU

Thanks!

The room is 18' Long x 14.5' Wide

This is my 3rd different projector and it's the best I've had. It's throws a great picture and the 3D is the best I've seen. Everyone who's seen it says it's the best 3D they've seen as well.

The 1st row it definitely has a big feel to it. My kids love to sit up front. From the back row I'd say it's just right. Not too big but it doesnt feel small in any way.

It took 2 solid coats of paint.

It is located on the 2nd floor and I can turn it up so that it is still plenty loud without bothering the rest of the house. I can also turn it up so that everyone in the house knows I'm watching a movie.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
looks great! i think you may have saved me about $1200 with those chairs! - are they comfy? do the backs recline back so you are in more of a laying position? are the leg things long enough to be comfortable?

thanks!

post #11 of 15 Old 07-12-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post

looks great! i think you may have saved me about $1200 with those chairs! - are they comfy? do the backs recline back so you are in more of a laying position? are the leg things long enough to be comfortable?

thanks!

Thanks. The chairs are a little on the firm side. They are not as comfy as my last chairs but they are not uncomfortable. I believe they may get softer as time goes on. They do recline to a laying position although they are not space saving, which I did know before buying. I'm 6'5" so the leg portion isnt as long as I'd like but I can definitely get into a comfortable postion. They are not bad seats at all but they are one of the cheapest seats for a reason. Hope this helps
post #12 of 15 Old 07-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Congrats on building your dream house. When I first read that I rolled my eyes thinking I was about to see another rich guy's play room with super expensive equipment that the average person could never afford. In my opinion 5k is dead on for the average person who wants to build a nice theater. Your results look amazing and just go to show you don't have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to have a very nice theater room. I love your choice of speakers too smile.gif
Synapse3001 and jdanforth like this.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-11-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradius View Post

Congrats on building your dream house. When I first read that I rolled my eyes thinking I was about to see another rich guy's play room with super expensive equipment that the average person could never afford. In my opinion 5k is dead on for the average person who wants to build a nice theater. Your results look amazing and just go to show you don't have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to have a very nice theater room. I love your choice of speakers too smile.gif

Thanks
post #14 of 15 Old 09-11-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Nice! Living the dream!

I was wondering where you store your equipment. I didn't see a rack or a closet in the room.

You'll really REALLY appreciate the quality increase you get by adding acoustic treatments. It's hard to figure out exactly what to get but the people at Gik Acoustics can help not to mention all the individuals on this forum. The treatments are easy enough to make if you're handy with a staple gun and saw and have sufficient time and patience. They're MUCH cheaper to make yourself than to buy them, too.

What are your sources?

post #15 of 15 Old 09-17-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Nice! Living the dream!

I was wondering where you store your equipment. I didn't see a rack or a closet in the room.

I use this stand that I got from ikea. The compenents fit perfectly and gives me a place to store the 3d glasses & remotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

What are your sources?

Not sure what you are asking
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Pioneer Bdp 150 Region Free 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Nr515 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page