How much $$ did you spend on tools to build your theater ??? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #91 of 221 Old 07-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
That looks like a good find. Like I said before, I've never used a Hitachi brand tool, so I could not recommend it the way I could a Porter-Cable or Bosch. That said, the numbers looks solid for what you want to do and the reviews seem pretty decent. I think you will be much happier with this over the Harbor Freight model.

For a table, if it were me, I'd go with this one, just 'cause that's how I roll cool.gif. But, for another solid option, check out this one. It looks like it would have a nice size working area which you will need for doing panels.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 221 Old 08-01-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 663
That's a $750 router table ... Lol.

I'm toying with the $100 class options. Wondering still if I'm better to just build one, or if I should just buy the top and accessories and install it into a bigger table I make.

I'm having a hard time with the decision and what the table tops are included with and how well they work seems to remain a hidden mystery as information is lacking.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #93 of 221 Old 08-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You certainly can build one, there's nothing complicated about a basic table. Here is a plan for a simple cheap top: http://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/routers/build-a-router-table-by-upcycling-a-kitchen-countertop/view-all
This one is as simple as it gets:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/11120/free-plan-minimalist-router-table

If you just need something one time and you will never use a table again, give it a shot. If it doesn't work, you can buy one later. Do spend the money on a pre-drilled router plate. There is really no sense in trying to make one of those. A plate needs to be flat and strong. Consider buying a fence too.

Also, you can check out pawn shops. I've seen tables there from time to time.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #94 of 221 Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Picked up a Hitachi framing nailer at the Pawn Shop today for $50. Works great!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
post #95 of 221 Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGoldberg View Post

Picked up a Hitachi framing nailer at the Pawn Shop today for $50. Works great!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Nice pick up. I never thought to check pawn shops

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #96 of 221 Old 01-17-2014, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

That's a nice miter saw biggrin.gif

What kind ? Like it ?

Ha just noticed this question

Yes, I like it very much, it is a Dewalt DW718

Very nice cuts with minimal adjustments out of the box. It has paid for itself in multiples
post #97 of 221 Old 01-17-2014, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Probably the single most helpful tool that I didn't already have was a small bandsaw (POWERTEC BS900 9-inch). My build needed a bunch of cuts to fit things around existing molding, as well as several custom-shaped rails and brackets. I have a handheld jigsaw but the bandsaw made these sorts of cuts so much easier.

20131216-side-panel-rear-bracket-design.jpg

I got the usual Porter-Cable pancake compressor and upholstery stapler, which definitely sped up the stapling. Protip: go ahead and buy some ear protection while you're at it, because when you've got your head near the stapler in order to line things up by sight, that sucker can be ear-ringingly loud.

I also got an Arrow TT21 "forward action" hand stapler which worked very well for smaller staples.

I picked up a hand-held miter/anvil cutter (Lowe 815-1000) which was a bit pricey but easily chomped through some plastic pieces I needed to trim to size.

For cutting fabric I got an Olfa rotary cutter and some long metal straight edges. I got two big 2'x3' self-healing Alvin cutting mats so I could lay them down next to each other for a single long cut. By the end I was tempted to get a few more mats for even more work surface. A Clover Chaco Liner chalk pen worked really well for marking the fabric -- it draws a bright fine line of dry chalk dust and after you're done you can just brush it away with your hand. Some small embroidery scissors came in handy for trimming fraying threads.

There was also lots of little stuff, such as several additional tape measures so that when going between the ~4 different places I was working on things I'd always have one nearby.
post #98 of 221 Old 01-17-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dododge View Post

There was also lots of little stuff, such as several additional tape measures so that when going between the ~4 different places I was working on things I'd always have one nearby.

Yes, multiple tape measures are needed....not all make it through the journey

post #99 of 221 Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
There is a story behind that. I can tell. When you're able to talk about it, we are here for you.
post #100 of 221 Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Yowza! eek.gif
post #101 of 221 Old 01-17-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

There is a story behind that. I can tell. When you're able to talk about it, we are here for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Yowza! eek.gif

Haha, I was building a tool storage section with all the excess crooked lumber I had from framing. I was cutting a lot of pieces and measuring a lot of pieces. Turns out, leaving your tape measure on the miter saw is not a good idea smile.gif

08-11-12Shelves004.jpg[/URL]
post #102 of 221 Old 01-17-2014, 11:10 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 531
a man can not have too many tape measures. I don't care how many I have, when Home Depot has the two pack of Stanley Fat Max tapes, a 25 and a 16 on sale for $9.99 I grab a pack or two. Those things have legs I tell you.
post #103 of 221 Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

a man can not have too many tape measures. I don't care how many I have, when Home Depot has the two pack of Stanley Fat Max tapes, a 25 and a 16 on sale for $9.99 I grab a pack or two. Those things have legs I tell you.

+1 we bought my dad 20 tape measures when they were on sale at harbor freight as a joke. He would lose them every project, it was a funny joke until 1 year later we couldn't find a damn tape measure anywhere.
post #104 of 221 Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Its the legs I tell you. they run off into the woods and multiply. Every full moon guys in Orange vests take nets out into the woods and the next week they are on sale.
chirpie likes this.
post #105 of 221 Old 01-18-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post

+1 we bought my dad 20 tape measures when they were on sale at harbor freight as a joke. He would lose them every project, it was a funny joke until 1 year later we couldn't find a damn tape measure anywhere.

Lol. My dad did the same thing!

-

post #106 of 221 Old 01-18-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I just bought a Ryobi Cordless Brad Nailer. I give it two thumbs up. I should have bought one years ago. Way better than air cords and noisy air compressors.

-

post #107 of 221 Old 01-28-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Broke down and bought a Festool track saw. I'm cutting up a lot of sheet goods for bookshelves in the house etc. This thing is the best tool I've ever owned, and should be, considering the price. I wish I had it when I was ripping my plywood for my subfloor. So much more accurate and safer than ripping with a circ saw.
post #108 of 221 Old 01-28-2014, 07:45 AM

Liked: 10
While building my house i lost over an hour while looking for a 25 foot fat max. I was 10 feet up on a ladder fitting a piece of siding. After cutting it 15 times, it still didnt fit right. In disgust, i tossed the shears, vinyl and tape up in the air. I searched everywhere for that darn thing. Under leaves, under the deck just about gave up. It was my only tape on the site so i decided to have a look down the 4inch gutter drain pipe that was in the corner. Pipe was open and about 4 feet off the ground. Sure enough i could see that i had made a perfect shot with the tape into the pipe. It was 1 in a million shot. Probably should have bought a lottery ticket that night. I had to use my shop vac with an extra extension to pull it out.
Problem with multiple tapes is to be sure they all measure the same. My dads was end was worn and we were always getting cuts that didnt fit. we were always out by an 1/8 of an inch.
post #109 of 221 Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo View Post

Broke down and bought a Festool track saw. I'm cutting up a lot of sheet goods for bookshelves in the house etc. This thing is the best tool I've ever owned, and should be, considering the price. I wish I had it when I was ripping my plywood for my subfloor. So much more accurate and safer than ripping with a circ saw.

I still want one biggrin.gif

-

post #110 of 221 Old 01-28-2014, 03:19 PM

Liked: 15
Best tool ever invented:

It's a Bessey D-BKWH Quick-Change Folding Utility Knife. Like any utility knife, it works on drywall, insulation, fabric, etc. But unlike other utility knives, this one is easy to retract (fold and unfold), and easy to change the blade. And it costs less than $20.
post #111 of 221 Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm13 View Post

Best tool ever invented:

It's a Bessey D-BKWH Quick-Change Folding Utility Knife. Like any utility knife, it works on drywall, insulation, fabric, etc. But unlike other utility knives, this one is easy to retract (fold and unfold), and easy to change the blade. And it costs less than $20.

I have one of those, but a different brand. Word to the wise . . . it doesn't lock closed. So be careful when reaching into a tool pouch because it could open on it's own. eek.gif
post #112 of 221 Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I still want one biggrin.gif

I've spent my free time the last two nights cutting ply for my backer boxes. And after each cut, I marvel at how good a cut it makes, no tear out, no feeling like i'm going to get kickback etc. My only regret is that I can't afford the dust collection system. I'll have to macguyver something with my shopvac...
post #113 of 221 Old 02-01-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo View Post

I've spent my free time the last two nights cutting ply for my backer boxes. And after each cut, I marvel at how good a cut it makes, no tear out, no feeling like i'm going to get kickback. My only regret is that I can't afford the dust collection system. I'll have to macguyver something with my shopvac...

I'm jealous for sure. Nothing sucks more than trying to rip a 4x8 sheet of MDF or heavy ply on a table saw. A circular saw is almost as bad, except you don't have to hold the weight. My dad is 66 and we are getting to that point where it's a struggle for him to do stuff like hold a 4x8 of 3/4" MDF, and working alone is impossible. I often find myself measuring and having Home Depot use their panel saw and cut to what I need at the store.

We are pregnant with twins due in May so that has postponed my theater home renovation project until fall. Wife decided she wanted balloon boxes to hold balloons that would represent color of sexes, and that we would have a gender reveal party to learn the sexes. We had the Dr. put the results of each baby in a sealed envelope and we had a trusted friend stuff the boxes with either blue or pink balloons so when we opened it at the party the helium balloons would rise up and the color represented the baby. I made two boxes, one for each baby. I was under pressure to get it all done in one day, and I used Home Depot to cut all my 4x8 sheets at the store since I was solo and its just easier for me to work with a smaller piece of wood if I can. I remember thinking just like when I was doing my 15" subwoofer boxes how much I really would love a panel saw.

chirpie, Larry M and Spaceman like this.

-

post #114 of 221 Old 02-02-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mfusick, those pictures actually made me a little watery-eyed. Unless my wife was cutting onions and I didn't see her! It's amazing how your feelings change once you have little ones of your own. Five years ago I would have just scrolled right past those pictures eek.gif

Congrats!
Mfusick likes this.
post #115 of 221 Old 02-03-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on the twins!

And I would have been un-creative and used a cardboard box. biggrin.gif
post #116 of 221 Old 02-03-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow! A boy and a girl.

Time to get snipped! You hit a homerun on the first try!
Mfusick likes this.
post #117 of 221 Old 02-03-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I mentioned it earlier for the guys looking at track saws or tables saws.

Give this a shot. It is incredible and very inexpensive. I cut many many sheets of ply with it

http://www.kregtool.com/RipCut-Prodview.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ZWZUc0guQ

http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KMA2675-Rip-Cut/dp/B007K5HIFS
Mfusick likes this.
post #118 of 221 Old 02-03-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I mentioned it earlier for the guys looking at track saws or tables saws.

Give this a shot. It is incredible and very inexpensive. I cut many many sheets of ply with it

http://www.kregtool.com/RipCut-Prodview.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ZWZUc0guQ

http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KMA2675-Rip-Cut/dp/B007K5HIFS

I wish I would have had one of these when I was ripping wood for fabric frames.
post #119 of 221 Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I wish I would have had one of these when I was ripping wood for fabric frames.

Oh yeah, it was a beast for that

08-06-13FabricPanels004_zps3c237b29.jpg

08-06-13FabricPanels003_zps4a23c184.jpg

08-06-13FabricPanels002_zps8d78e467.jpg
post #120 of 221 Old 02-04-2014, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Congrats on the twins!

And I would have been un-creative and used a cardboard box. biggrin.gif

Exactly! If you are going to do something might as well do it. Lol.

I think one of them will go next to the bar my bro and I built for my outdoor wedding (now by the pool). The ballon box should make a good beach ball and inflatable toy storage.

The other box I made only 27.5" deep (by 4 feet tall and wide) so I can get it through 30" doors inside. I think I"ll use it to store Christmas decorations in basement. A big ass box would be good for that. biggrin.gif

-

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound 12 Tubes

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page