How much $$ did you spend on tools to build your theater ??? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #181 of 233 Old 05-16-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I have one made by Rigid that came from Home Depot. Oddly enough the Rigid tables saws have aluminum (or granite) tops.

Cool thanks. I will check it out.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 233 Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I looked around my local HD and they don't seem to stock these mad.gif

I guess I'll try online next...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #183 of 233 Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

a man can not have too many tape measures. I don't care how many I have, when Home Depot has the two pack of Stanley Fat Max tapes, a 25 and a 16 on sale for $9.99 I grab a pack or two. Those things have legs I tell you.

$9.00 DEWALT 25 ft. and 16 ft. Tape Measures at Homedepot http://saviry.com/deal/518568

-

post #184 of 233 Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I started from scratch in my theater ( Hawaii Home Theater Construction) and if I had to guess my total cost for tools would be 2500-3000. The most expensive was the Festool track saw. It worked great!!
Mfusick and GPowers like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #185 of 233 Old 05-27-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

$9.00 DEWALT 25 ft. and 16 ft. Tape Measures at Homedepot http://saviry.com/deal/518568

How do those compare to the Fatmax's? I swore to myself years ago I wouldn't buy a tape measure that wasn't a Fatmax. eek.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #186 of 233 Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 608
I have both and the Dewalt doesn't measure up to the Fatties. I tend to buy Tape measures when they are on sale and two for $9 is a good deal. That is why I have some Dewalt's.

PROJECTS:

post #187 of 233 Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

OK thanks. Sounds like my theory is still intact. smile.gif

------

post #188 of 233 Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I never find good deals on FAT MAX mad.gif

-

post #189 of 233 Old 05-28-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

I never find good deals on FAT MAX mad.gif

I was happy getting a pair for $15
Came in a pack for 25' and 16'

post #190 of 233 Old 06-03-2014, 03:43 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

FAT MAX ALERT

Home depot has the 25 and 16 ft two pack on sale again, $19.95. they had about 10 cases on display in the bunch of stuff I suspect they brought in for Fathers day. Saw two of these displays:

Of course I bought a set.
Mfusick and NickTheGreat like this.

PROJECTS:

post #191 of 233 Old 06-03-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Started buying tools to build the theater and have not stopped buying tools since. After drinking the green Festool cool-aid it is hard to stop. Now, the tool addiction is over running into stationary tools and a dust collection system.

Need to stop soon as i'am running out of room in the garage. smile.gif
Mfusick likes this.

GPowers

post #192 of 233 Old 06-04-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Appreciate the heads-up, Big smile.gif

------

post #193 of 233 Old 06-04-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Yeah those are great.
The 16' is my go to as it is light and compact

post #194 of 233 Old 06-04-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Yeah those are great.
The 16' is my go to as it is light and compact

I like the shorter ones. Most of the time I don't need longer than 16'. I agree 100%, I always drop the bigger ones and grab the smaller ones if both are present.

-

post #195 of 233 Old 06-04-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Well, since we're voting, I actually prefer the longer tape. 16' doesn't reach across my room in either direction and I try to take all my measurements from the same points. I'd rather carry the larger tape all day and not have to make a special trip to find one if I need to measure off 25' or something. That's just me, though.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #196 of 233 Old 06-04-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, since we're voting, I actually prefer the longer tape. 16' doesn't reach across my room in either direction and I try to take all my measurements from the same points. I'd rather carry the larger tape all day and not have to make a special trip to find one if I need to measure off 25' or something. That's just me, though.

Ok in all fairness I usually am not cutting boards or doing measurments on longer than 16 feet, and my longer than 16 foot theater room does not exist yet.
Perhaps I might change my tune tongue.gif

-

post #197 of 233 Old 06-04-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Nah. It's just personall preference. It just doesn't bother me to carry around a large tape. The majority of the time I'm working on stuff less than 10', but I don't like having to stop what I'm doing just to go find another tape because the one I have is 2' too short. At this point I think I prefer the size of the larger version of the Fatmax, anyway. I've been through several of the things at this point, and actually need to pick up another one soon.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #198 of 233 Old 06-04-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nah. It's just personall preference. It just doesn't bother me to carry around a large tape. The majority of the time I'm working on stuff less than 10', but I don't like having to stop what I'm doing just to go find another tape because the one I have is 2' too short. At this point I think I prefer the size of the larger version of the Fatmax, anyway. I've been through several of the things at this point, and actually need to pick up another one soon.

My strategy is to start out with about 10 tapes. 5 at the saw, a 5 in the room or near the project. It seems like half my time is spent looking for one, they all seem to all get left at the project or all end up at the saw tongue.gif Sometimes I think little gremlins grab them and relocate them on me. The only exception is if you are doing table saw work and your measurements are sensitive - like making cabinets or speaker boxes etc... It's a good idea to use the same tape for all measurements to avoid small discrepancies from tape to tape. If you use all the same model or brand this is less important. If you have 4 fat max for example, I'd suspect they all measure the same. It's mainly a problem for me only with those free tape measures you get at harbor freight with the coupons- there is a reason why they are free! They suck. 1/4" different sometimes! My dad would say... "that's ********!"

-

post #199 of 233 Old 06-04-2014, 03:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I think it was Norm Abram writing about his life growing up around carpenters and their tools in his book that talked about a standard work procedure for a crew that each carried their own tapes. The senior most man on the crew would take his tape and go mark a board or workbench at a specified length, then each member of the crew was expected to check their tapes against the masters mark. If my memory is correct that method was called the benchmark.

PROJECTS:

post #200 of 233 Old 06-05-2014, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

My strategy is to start out with about 10 tapes. 5 at the saw, a 5 in the room or near the project. It seems like half my time is spent looking for one, they all seem to all get left at the project or all end up at the saw tongue.gif Sometimes I think little gremlins grab them and relocate them on me.

I've been doing a lot of work in my house the past year. I spent so much time looking for my 3 tape measures, and 1 mini level. Over the course of the year I have purchased about a dozen of each, and as soon as I buy some, I find the others. I now have a tape measure and mini level in about every room in the house. I'm working on getting the interchangeable screwdrivers in every room now :P

I agree about the gremlins, mine have names and sleep across the hall from me though :P

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

post #201 of 233 Old 06-05-2014, 04:25 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

My local Harbor Freight is having their parking lot sale this weekend. I own a number of their various tools, The drop cloths are a good value. Putty knives, Framing squares, etc, I recently discovered the perfect tool for cutting off protruding nails and screws under the sub floor. It is a 3 inch electric cut off tool, $22 this weekend. It does generate a fire storm of sparks so be careful.

PROJECTS:

post #202 of 233 Old 06-05-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Harbor freight allows consumers to own tools that otherwise only a pro would own due to price. Sometimes their tools aren't supreme quality but for one or two use situations they are more than ideal.

I own a bunch if tools I probably would not if it wasn't for harbor freight. Cement mixer, drywall lift, tile saw and a few others come to mind. If you wood work often they sell 24 pack of glue brushes for like $1... Lol. Perfect for speaker box glue ups. There is a bunch of cheap stuff they have I shop there for like that too. Anything that's disposable basically.

I'm a big fan.

Just avoid the inaccurate tape measures, and the Chinese screw drivers from soft metal wink.gif

-

post #203 of 233 Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I had a Harbor Freight level once when I was a maintenance man for some public housing apartments. Replaced lots of doors using it. Imagine my surprise when it broke and I bought a 'real' level. Every door jamb I had installed was off plumb by exactly the same amount...tongue.gif

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #204 of 233 Old 06-05-2014, 09:40 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

When you buy levels you take two or three and compare readings, then swap one end for end and if you get the same reading you can have more confidence. I do that no matter the price.

PROJECTS:

post #205 of 233 Old 06-05-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Heh, one of those things I always took for granted. Now you have me wanting to check the levelness of my level....

My Home Theater Build:
post #206 of 233 Old 06-05-2014, 03:27 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

anytime you stand it against the wall and it falls down is a chance for it to go wonky.

PROJECTS:

post #207 of 233 Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

My HD didn't have the Fat Max on sale yesterday. One guy told me they had a new ad as of Thursday, which is why they didn't have them. My wife said she looked at that ad and they were listed.

Oh well, I have plenty of tape measures anyway . . . frown.gif

------

post #208 of 233 Old 06-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

My HD didn't have the Fat Max on sale yesterday. One guy told me they had a new ad as of Thursday, which is why they didn't have them. My wife said she looked at that ad and they were listed.

Oh well, I have plenty of tape measures anyway . . . frown.gif

They are in your local ad page 16 as of today..

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #209 of 233 Old 06-06-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

They are in your local ad page 16 as of today..

I know that and you know that. rolleyes.gif

------

post #210 of 233 Old 06-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
They are in your Everybodys local ad page 16 as of today.. for those that dont know it already cool.gif

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound 12 Tubes

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page