Off Topic - Storage of AV/Computer Tech - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Apologies for off topic question but I couldn't find a better place to put it.

We are packing up to move at the end of this year and I am putting a good chunk of my stuff in storage. List of gear being stored :

Sony BluRay HTIB including 5 speakers and passive sub
47" LCD TV
Quad Core PC Workstation
Xbox 360 / Wii
Portable Hard Drives
Laptops
Printer
Flatbed Scanner
iPhone Dock

There's probably others but you get the point...

So my thought is anything that has transistors or printed circuit boards should probably NOT be stored in a non-temperature controlled outdoor storage unit. What about the wires and all the connecting tech? Does that need to stay in temp controlled spaces as well?

This stuff will probably be out there from July through December in NW Indiana (40 mi SE of Chicago)

Thoughts?

Thanks - you guys are the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bump?

Anyone?
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Do yourself a favor and find family or a good friend you can trust, to let you store your stuff at their place, vs. placing into storage. Too many storage units get broken into, and unless it is one that you know is truly controlled environment, and has a video system in place to watch the units, and only you have the key, along with the fact that you need to keep on top of paying the fees for storage, you would be better off saving your money and just follow the first part what I stated.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yah i'm not worried about theft (I've left my front door wide open for 8 hours on a weekend with no one home (by mistake of course) and no one ever went into my house. Our neighborhood is pretty great that way.

but thanks for the reply.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

yah i'm not worried about theft (I've left my front door wide open for 8 hours on a weekend with no one home (by mistake of course) and no one ever went into my house. Our neighborhood is pretty great that way.

The same cannot be said for storage units. Those are much, much easier targets for thieves. No one generally around, no dogs, and the stuff is in boxes!

+1 to Greg's recommendation. Heck, offer a friend a hundred bucks for the inconvenience (or say, half of the fees you'd pay for storage). You might get volunteers to help carry the stuff...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. I think we will start off with crawlspace and see how it goes. My crawlspace that is
post #7 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

Thanks. I think we will start off with crawlspace and see how it goes. My crawlspace that is
I would not place the stuff in a crawlspace. They can easily flood and if you are in North West Indiana, my guess is that you are closer to Illinois to Michigan, so most of those areas are in Wet lands that were turned into neighborhoods, so there is always a chance you will lose anything in the crawl.

UHaul storage buildings are conditioned and secure, there is always some others, but the problem lies when you end up in a unit that also has questionable people doing the same, and they end up getting curious and start getting into others units, if there is not any type of security camera system or guard on place.

If it is just going to be a few boxes, ship to family or store at a friends place like I already stated, and put this thread to pasture, since there is no need to keep dragging it out.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've never had water in my crawl in 7 years (even when the power went out) and I'm putting all this stuff in plastic containers so water would never get to it.

Thanks for the thought.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Xbox 360 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page