Splitter Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-30-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for some help with my Coax cables. I have alot of TVs located througout the house. Right now I am planning to have three splitters in order to get the cable to all of the TVs in the house (7 in all), a combination of 2 way and 3 way splitters. My plan was to use a 3-way splitter right away and run two of those outputs to my modem and main cable box that will feed my big screen. I was hoping to do this because I know the more you split the line the more signal degradation you get. Splitters 2 & 3 would be used to feed my other TVs.

Anyone have a better idea on how to do this? Would it make more sense to have just one big splitter and split everything off at once?
Also, anyone know where to get good quality splitters? Is there such a thing as a good splitter vs. a low quality one?
Should I have an amplifier or something to boost my feed to my theater TV and modem?

Any help is apprecaited. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-30-2013, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can split it then get a signal boosters to clean up the signal. If your only option is to split. Are you running same channel to multiple tv's?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Most cable TV providers design their systems for adequate signal to support a 2-way splitter feeding a 4-way. The ideal condition would have this situation with one leg feeding the cable modem or digital telephone interface and the 4-way feeding everything else. Any cascade of splitters will result in the last devices in the chain having the worse signal in the entire home. In my house I have the line in feeding an amplifier feeding a 2way feeding 2 6-way splitters. With this situation I have EXACTLY the same signal level to all outlets and the amplifier is basically erasing ALL signal level loss from the splitters. If you do a situation like this, you will likely need an amplifier WITH return amplification. If those aren't available I would feed the modem prior to the amp or it probably wont work because od the loss in dB from the splitters on the reverse frequencies.

2 way = 4 dB of loss
3 way = 3.5 dB on one leg and 7 on the other two
4 way = 7 dB of loss
6 way = 9 dB of loss
8 way = 11 dB of loss

About any 1000mhz splitter will work fine. Don't buy into the Monster Super Duper Platinum XL talking points. The ones used by the cable companies are cheap China stuff and are definitely NOT gold plated.

I believe you already have this, but all outlets should be home wired to a central location for ease of regulating the signal levels to all outlets.

Good luck.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-01-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I'd just use an 8 way splitter and call it a day. More signal isn't going to make one whit of difference, provided there's enough (-10dB is typically enough). If the incoming cable can't provide 1 or 2dB to your splitter then you either have a long drop or a lazy cable provider.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page