Budget Preliminary Theater Design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm new to home theater. I'm making a dedicated theater in our new house in an already constructed room. Light won't be an issue as I can black it out. This is going to be a budget build. Since I've never evened owned a HT system a budget build for me will have a ton of wow factor. As a mater of fact I've never been in a home theater. I don't mind spending the money as long as its a bang for the buck upgrade. I've been eyeing the Banq W1070 because it seems to be a bang for the buck PJ at $900. At first I'm just going to use basic sound until I can put in a proper system. All I've ever had is a TV's built in speakers so It won't take much for me to be happy with sound at first. I'm going to DIY everything I can possibly can (I love DIY) I have a ton tools and experience so that isn't scaring me at all.

The small area is the entry way. I'd like to use it for snacks and popcorn etc. The main body of the room is 20' 3" x 15'. It has 8" ceiling. The only obstruction is a ceiling fan in the center of the room and can (and probably will) be removed. The far right wall shown will be the screen wall. I have good access though the ceiling.

My thoughts:

We will be using it mainly for movies (16:9?). Our favorite tv shows on occasion (Walking Dead).

Seating:
Viewers will most likely be me, the wife, and son (later not born yet). With possibly 4 more guest on occasion. I don't know if I can cram 2 rows of seats in this room. I may just have unconventional matching seats, probably not going to have the official theater seats. We like to lounge around anyway when watching a movie.

So my biggest questions right now are:

Projector: Like I said I like the Banq W1070. Looking a PJ central's calc It looks like it would be a good fit for what I'm trying to achieve. Any objections?

Whats the biggest screen I can get away with here? I'd love 150" diag, but I suppose that limits me to one row of seats, because that pushing view so far back? The black bar on the right represents a 130." (150" diag 16:9) You can use that for scale maybe.

Screen: I like the idea of DIY AT Screens. Putting sound behind the screen is very nice. I'd like to have a big screen and clean look. I read quite a bit about the spandex screens.

Sound. Can I just get away with a great 2.1 (better receiver) and upgrade as I buy the individual speakers?

Hope I didn't forget anything. I am DYING to start building the screen or a riser or something anything! Help me out! Thanks.

ScreenShot2013-06-30at53738PM.png

The stairway on the left represents a large opening in the back of the room that could be used for hardware. Thats a very large open area from the steps going down into the garage from another direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

I had another thought. What if I made a movable mount for the projector, and used a nice masking system on the screen. So I could narrow it down more people but keep it large just for the two of us. I guess you'd have to re-setup the projector every time it moved? Not to mention the sound.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Why just upgrade the projector to something with a motorized zoon lense then? While it would be more money, you also would get improved black levels and avoid the
issues with a business projection origins of the 1070.

Why not start with three matching speakers, behind a DIY AT screen?

What's in the alcove area? The issue with the screen is the lack of a symmetrical reflective side wall.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Fuelrush,

I just barely started into the build phase of mine, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Seating - 2 rows of seats is probably doable, but it won't leave much room behind the back row. The important thing is to build for who's going to be using it the majority of the time. Maybe just put a couch in the back row to get started.

Screen - 130" wide in your space would fit, but would you feel comfortable with it, or would your wife? At a minimum, mark off the size of the screen you want with some tape on the wall. Better yet, get some 2x4s and some cheap white fabric and mock one up that you can pull out into the room (as your AT screen will also not be on the wall). Doing this really gives you an idea of what you're getting into. Another thing to think about, if you're going that big you might want to consider a 2.35:1 screen ratio. It definitely feels more cinematic.

Sound - You can certainly get away with good 2.1 for now. Most receivers will do a phantom center channel no problem. It won't be ideal, but it's definitely smart to get good quality speakers. If you have to do that a bit at a time, then so be it. Better than a HTIB.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

What's in the alcove area? The issue with the screen is the lack of a symmetrical reflective side wall.

There is a window on the far left but there is no reason the screen couldn't be placed there. So this is more idea? I had no idea that the walls should be same...
post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I was more wondering if the addition of a symmetrical side wall was a possibility..... 8'8" is a little on the too narrow side (coming from a guy with a 9'5" wide build). smile.gif

Two rows also mean speaker selection is important if you want to play reference levels. Dome tweeters are usually good for 12-14' at reference levels.
Horn loaded or compression driver speakers are preferable choices. SEOS horn loaded DIY speakers from kits, are an excellent budget option.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits.html

I would also suggest you watch the brightness levels of any screen you go with. I'd stay above 16 foot lamberts and if that means shrinking the screen, then so be it.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry I'm a little lost on the wall thing. The 8'8" has the only entrance to the room. I was going to make that the "concessions area." I should have found a better floor planner.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

That works just fine then.... Why not the screen on the 15' wall? No construction to get symmetrical side walls.
So any reason not to flip the room end for end?

(I thought the stairs came down there.)
post #9 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

No I just put that there because the is a good open space above that stair well going down into the garage. The stairs start at the bottom if the screen and walk down to garage under theater room.I thought it might be good space for electronics. There is no door there. There is no problem using that 15' wall for the screen. And like you said symmetrical.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page