Any reason to NOT build a kitchenette on an elevated concrete slab? Explanation inside. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, this may be a little crazy (or not). In order to maximize space in my basement, is there anything inherently problematic with installing a sink and counter (at counter height - 36" or so) on top of a slab that is already 24" or so above the floor? I excavated in my basement to increase the ceiling height but had to come in about 3' from the walls in order to do so. So imagine standing in the newly excavated space but the kitchenette would actually be in the unexcavated portion (with fake cabinet doors under the counter to give the appearance that the entire kitchenette is located in the newly excavated space. This pic might help with my explanation (this would NOT be the location due to utility access but the idea is the same):

I know I'll have to install pump of some kind to drain the sink. Am I crazy or is this doable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I don't know but you would have to talk to your local building inspector and see if it does not violate any building codes.
The only thing I can see that might be a problem is that it's right next to the furnace.
It has to meet building codes in your local area.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I think you'll be squeezing the plumbing pretty tight. If you can work a 6" deep sink, then you've got 6" for the tail piece and an elbow to get over to a place to put a p-trap. I'm not sure how much space would be required, but that sounds awfully tight. I'm also not sure if that's code compliant, strictly speaking, but I don't see a problem if it fits.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 108
Building wise, there is no difference really per code if the slab is raised or not. Basically at that point it is either a concrete wall or concrete floor, depending on which side you are facing. So as long as you follow all of the standard code for building against a concrete slab or a concrete foundation wall, you are good.

Fred's point though is much more appropriate. Make sure you actually have room for all of the things you are putting in those cabinets you drew. The sink is a basin which is lower than the counter top. And the plumbing can only fit in so much space. Are you planning on any of your cabinets actually being used or do you plan to just have faux-fronts? At that point you have also eliminated using any pre-fab cabinets that you buy at your local big box store too. Still, it is a good way to embed a countertop, and you can always put cabinets above that.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
I am not planning on any of the lower cabinets being usable (unless I can squeeze a drawer above them or something). I am thinking about higher cabinets above the sink like in a traditional kitchen. I'll have to measure everything tonight - it seemed doable when I was down there the other day. I won't be putting it in that space because I need access to HVAC and the other utilities which are all along that wall but I do have a rather large "ledge" opposite the one shown - initially I was just going to make it a closet for storage but that's boring! I only have 500 sqft. total to work with as far as finishing goes plus whatever ledge space I can incorporate. The basement is L-shaped and basically 23x16 in the larger area attached to an 11x13 area which is where the raised slab is located. I'm trying to maximize!
post #6 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 194
You will need at least one door, to get to the plumbing.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Pull the counter 3-4" forward of the raised slab and you will have space to run the waste line and you could bring the trap to the front also.
Then you could run left or right, to wherever there is a waste stack.

You might need to leave some more space for access to the furnace. You also could fake a pantry where the furnace is, and hide the HVAC sheet metal.
above.

Have a floor plan?

I could see the raised area being built as a storage closet. Maybe some Gorilla rack on the back wall, to maximise storage. You would need to have a
vent somewhere to allow combustion air into the enclose space.

I would call it a creative use of space.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

You could skip the doors entirely, and do a simple magnetically attached panel, to hide the plumbing run. And you could cantilever the
counter top and add a few bar stools, and add under counter LED lighting. The industrial style of this bar might not be to one's taste, but it
shows some ideas that could be put to use.

industrial bar - Copy.jpg 131k .jpg file

top view.jpg 70k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg industrial bar - Copy.jpg (131.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg top view.jpg (69.7 KB, 13 views)
post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

How deep is that concrete ? Is it hollow in the middle ?
If a inspector say's it would pass code and doable then maybe you can cut out part of that concret slab about a 12 inches down and if it's gravel under there just pour some more concrete just where the sink would be.
The cost of breaking all that concrete to make the floor where the funrace and water heater level with the rest of the floor would be rather high.
I don't know if that lolly pole is either supported by that higher slab or the concrete was poured around it and the footer is below that huge rock of slab.
You said your basement is L shaped ?
What's on the other side of the furnce on the other side of that block beam support ? Is that where your going to put your theator room ?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-02-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The basement might have underpinned in the past, or there simply could be a large rock under that slab that would have required explosives.

Another thought is you could expand the concept, and cantilever the counter top forward and past the post. Then use the alcove as a service area.

top view 2.0 .jpg 65k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top view 2.0 .jpg (65.4 KB, 10 views)
post #11 of 11 Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Or put up a mini butler's kichen and microwave oven, or popcorn maker ? Soda despenser ?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page