sound dampening new apartment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of constructing about a 900 sq ft apartment in the basement of my 1890 +/- constructed house. I am concerned about noise coming from above due to foot traffic / tv / conversation etc... Right now on the upstairs I have carpet, but I am going to replace it w/ laminate flooring w/ padding once i am done with the apartment.

I have sistered up all joists (my call) and have installed beams (per structural engineer's recommendation) to stiffen the ceiling of the basement from foot traffic above.

I do a lot of work in manhattan, and typically contractors use fiberglass batt insulation and double sheet rock for noise reduction. I am hoping this will work sufficiently for my needs as I am not looking to spend a major part of my budget on this phase. I've looked into recessed resilient channeling and green glue, but both are very pricey (about $2,000 for clips, $850 for green glue). If these are my best options, i would prefer to just go with green glue and double sheet rock as to save time and money on channeling.

Does anyone out there have experience with a similar situation? What if i use sound board and sheet rock instead of double sheet rock? Im not expecting to completely cut out foot traffic noise, but i hope to minimize it. As far as voices and tv noise go, i would hope those could be eliminated when kept at a normal level (i know screaming or blasting the radio will transfer).

Thank you for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
you just opened a can of worms. smile.gif

Come see my Livin' the Dream build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I'll bite.

We went through this same thought process because our theater was built directly under our master bedroom. I wanted to keep exterior sound out, and theater sound in.

We planned to do what you are talking about with a couple layers of drywall and some insulation. I am glad that we didn't.

We ended up going with the insulation batting (do NOT stuff the whole ceiling cavity, leave some air as it helps too), recessed hat channel/clips, double 5/8" drywall with GreenGlue in the middle.

This was thanks to a conversation I had with John from The Soundproofing Company. He really took time to explain to me what I was getting with each system and how to be as cost effective as possible. I mean, our whole basement finish was a DIY project for myself (1700 sqft) and I was doing it myself to save money and to get it exactly like I wanted. Some people would say that I am cheap, so spending more money (and convincing the wife that it was OK) on the ceiling of the theater was not an easy task, but it was SO worth it.

Here is a diagram of what it was like. We went recessed because we were starting with a ceiling height of less than 8 feet already and needed every inch we could get. I highly recommend it, but at the same time can't believe that you were quoted the prices you were. Was that an "installed" price?

giancarlod likes this.

- Nick Buol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-13-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks nick. Sorry for the delayed response I never got an email saying some responded.

You did it the right way. I intended on doing exactly what you had done, but when I got the quote I was a little shocked. So now I'm looking for a less expensive route. This is my first rental property and im on a budget.

I got my quote from Jody cook with sound isolation company. I wanted the recessed clips as well to save on ceiling height, he quoted me at just over $6.25 per. I would still have to buy the tracks to hang the drywall on. The clips he showed me, however, actually get installed directly to the side of the floor joist via a bracket. The hat channel is then installed onto the clip allowing a minimum of 1/4 gap between bottom of joist and sheet rock. I'd attach a diagram but I'm on my phone and the mobile website for the company sucks.

I think I'm going to give the company you used a call and see if they have a different, mire cost effective system.

Thanks for the help I'll let you know what I find out.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 618
there are $5 clips and there are $2 clips that work about 90% as well. Which were in your quote?

PROJECTS:

post #6 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by giancarlod View Post

The clips he showed me, however, actually get installed directly to the side of the floor joist via a bracket. The hat channel is then installed onto the clip allowing a minimum of 1/4 gap between bottom of joist and sheet rock.

I'd love to see these clips. I also have a low ceiling and want to recess the clips but will likely have a tough time blocking with the hvac I have to contend with.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

resilmount-a96r-installation-diagram.pdf 195k .pdf file

the attachment is a diagram of the recessed clip i referred to and how it is installed. looks like a good system but it is expensive.

BigmouthinDC : what are the clips you are talking about and where can i find them?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf resilmount-a96r-installation-diagram.pdf (194.6 KB, 10 views)
post #8 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 07:14 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 618
The reccessed clip shown in that pdf still needs the addition of blocking on the side of each joist at the clip location, The alternative is to run blocking as shown in post #3. Talk to Ted or John at soundproofingcompany.com for the cheaper clips.

PROJECTS:

post #9 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by giancarlod View Post

the attachment is a diagram of the recessed clip i referred to and how it is installed. looks like a good system but it is expensive.

That diagram was very helpful! I hadn't seen this style clip rotated 90 degrees and mounted on a block attached to the side of 1 joist (versus using a standard clip on a block bridging 2 joists. Soundproofingcompany has the IB-2 EXT Clip which appears to be similar. I wonder if it can be rotated 90 degrees as well.

I like this clip. It only requires blocking on one side of the joist cavity (which solves my HVAC challenge) and, due to lack of dimensions on their data sheet, potentially with thinner lumber than a 2x4 for a block.

I googled 'A96r' and see that it's available from a few places. Further, I went right to it's manufacturer's site and found their online catalogue Check out pages 60-63 for more info there.

This clip might do the trick for me near my HVAC, then I could use the approach described on post 3 for everywhere else in combination with the IB-2 Clip so that I've got the same clip design across the entire ceiling.

BIG- Thanks. You're helping solve this for 2 of us (and probably a few more) at the same time! All while working on 2 builds (or more?!?)... You're a machine. biggrin.gif

giancarlod - sorry for piggybacking this thread, but I, like you, don't want to blow the budget on just clips either. The above I hope are cheaper than what you've found so far.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound 12 Tubes

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page