Why do these HT's seem to have "theatre seats" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are these just for a "look" or are they actually practical and comfortable?

Why do most folks seem to have two rows of seating ... really going to have 7 people in there? Or, just for looks again?

Is seems that a really nice overstuffed chair would be a much better application but not quite as "cool" and the theater seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I think the theater recliners are popular for more than one reason. The look is one of them, but for me the size is a major factor. If you were to buy traditional la-z-boy recliners or something like that, you couldn't fit as many in. My room is only 12 feet wide, so I can get three across with Berklines, but probably only two freestanding chairs (allowing for aisles). I did consider smaller club chairs, but have pretty well settled on recliners for my friends.

The number of seats is a different issue. I think most of us want to be able to share the theater with friends and family. So four seats in one row is kind of minimal. If there is space, the marginal extra investment in seats and riser seems well-justified to me - at least in my case.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 40
My stuff is in the living room with 'normal' furniture, but we have 4 adult viewers regularly and on occasion we have up to 8.
If I were to have a real home theater 8 seats would be installed.

Regards,
Charlie

Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlan View Post

Why do most folks seem to have two rows of seating ... really going to have 7 people in there? Or, just for looks again?

Is seems that a really nice overstuffed chair would be a much better application but not quite as "cool" and the theater seats.

Yes my seats are very practical and very comfortable (dozed off several times watching movies/TV in my theater). I think there are several reasons why people go with the HT type of seating. A couple have already chimed in as to why.

Before I went with my seating arrangement, I looked at several options before I went with my theater seats. I did so because I wanted each person to have a "great seat" and there just was not anyway without doing theater seats I could get that done. A sectional couch would have met my seating requirement, but then to get the "back part" at the ideal viewing distance then the "side part" would have been too close. To get the side part at a good viewing distance then the back part would have been too far. If I had done a V instead of an L then the width would not have worked.

I think going with theater seats meets several different requirements for me and also tends to give the theater a certain "feel" that you typically can't get with traditional seating choices.

The other thing is some people go for more of a dedicated space, and those who do that will likely tend to go HT seats were someone who is doing a multi purpose room, or more of an open concept might tend to go with more of a traditional type of seating.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Yes my seats are very practical and very comfortable (dozed off several times watching movies/TV in my theater). I think there are several reasons why people go with the HT type of seating. A couple have already chimed in as to why.

Before I went with my seating arrangement, I looked at several options before I went with my theater seats. I did so because I wanted each person to have a "great seat" and there just was not anyway without doing theater seats I could get that done. A sectional couch would have met my seating requirement, but then to get the "back part" at the ideal viewing distance then the "side part" would have been too close. To get the side part at a good viewing distance then the back part would have been too far. If I had done a V instead of an L then the width would not have worked.

I think going with theater seats meets several different requirements for me and also tends to give the theater a certain "feel" that you typically can't get with traditional seating choices.

The other thing is some people go for more of a dedicated space, and those who do that will likely tend to go HT seats were someone who is doing a multi purpose room, or more of an open concept might tend to go with more of a traditional type of seating.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

Another thing common with theater seats is that many of them recline forwards, which can allow seats close to the rear wall, and allow two rows relatively close to each other. In my wife's last theater she just purchased two cheap 3 seat couches, the front one had two recliners on the ends and that worked fine. The rear couch did not have any room for recliners however. It's a funny mental thing too that people tend to want a divider between friends, similar to the trend you see at theaters where people leave a space between them and the next group of people if they can. Individual seats can provide that too. They basically are there for space saving most of all, but these days, they had better be comfortable with all of the 2.5-3 hour movies that keep coming out.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I designed my space for 2 rows of 3 theater recliners but at a tad under $4000.... I just didn't have in in the budget right now and ever since the screen was built and projector hung.....well WE ARE WATCHING MOVIES!!! smile.gif I didn't want to wait another year ...or two, for the money for the recliners and this money pit (I mean theater) needed the throttle slowed down. So I looked and found some slightly used high back rocker theater seats. Because of the narrower foot print, I was able to get 2 rows of 4. And the greatest part of this was that all 8 seats only cost me $765 shipped!!!! Granted I still don't have them installed (2 temporarily) but am anxious to get it DONE. And if I ever change my mind in the future, my riser is still the right size for the recliners!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Most theater seats are designed with lower backs so not to block the sound from surround speakers but still provide head/neck support. I notice the difference when sitting in my reclining sofa vs theater seat. Some theater seats now even have adjustable head support so when you recline your head is still somewhat upright and you're not staring at the ceiling.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Another reason for theater seats at least for me (beyond that it’s a dedicated theater) are theater seats come in two pieces. That means I can fit them down my 28 1/2” doorframe in my basement and I don’t need to take the railing off to get them downstairs.

Take a look at how many club chairs or sofa’s that have a dimension under 29”; trust me it’s not many.

Also for me each person can recline as much or as little as they like and they have a space for their beverage.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
2 rows are more inviting then one and can accommodate a family much better - there are 7 of us so it is nice to have a seat for all - cup holders are great and reclining is nice for each persons preference. the deigns are these are great - being kept to a certain width helps them fit though more doorways and having them in 2 pieces makes moving them up or down stairs a lot more manageable.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlan View Post

Definitely practical and comfortable!
My HT is not really big, just 14.5 ft wide x 18.5 ft long, having 2 rows of seats for 4 each like this, with love seat style that can really hold 3 sometimes,
_MG_5464.jpg

allows for real world seating our family of 5 in front row, or when we have more over also used 2nd row and extra seats

Prior to 2011, I had an old Ghetto couch for the front row, hard to put your drinks/popcorn somewhere.....and the kids were smaller then so they liked their kid seat row
HT-Jan12-2010.jpg

Do what your budget can allow, and maybe in 2-3 years you "upgrade" to HT style seats from whatever you have on hand, there is no rule must have everything all at once.
I got my rear row seats, just manual recline, back in 2005 when local Billy Bobs had going out of business sale, I saved 75% on them.
Did not use them at all for 3+ years either.

The front row, got in April-2011, are power recline, which are nicer but slower to open/fold down.

Since you mention 7 people, make sure you consider HVAC loads for your HT space, as it will get hot in it if dedicated/closed space.

This makes me reminisce a bit ... yea, back in 2008 those early days watching on just primed walls

we'd all fit on a old ghetto couch covered with bedsheet

or kids likes their folding chairs

That is a HT experience I recommend for all HT people if possible, shows the family can gather in most any old place and spend time together....try to keep it all in perspective.....
so many get OCD into the last minute details when the "end game" is spending quality time with others........I live in no glass house and have realized this for myself also....

Peace and enjoy the HT journey, it can suck $$$'s from you if you let it.