Dedicated Room Absorption and Diffusion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Originally I just wanted some bass traps. Now I'm waiting to fix up the entire room. I'm thinking bass traps and absorption panels. Then diffusion panels if needed. I haven't done as much research on diffusion as I have absorption and bass traps but the concepts are pretty easy to understand. However, I read one post that claims you don't want to overdue the above because it will create a dead sound. I was thinking the more the better, but I can see that not being true. That said I have come to you guys for some advice and direction. I will be using this room for 70% movies and 30% music. My music listening is 2 channel stereo, with sub.

Attached are pictures of the room to give an idea of what I'm working with. The room entrance is right by my front door and the room is in the front right outside corner of my house facing the street. I've never had an issue with bothering neighbors and if jamming music I respect the fiance with her not being home. So for this room sound-proofing isn't being considered, yet.

For the bass traps and absorption panels I plan to DYI. There are many tutorials around using Roxul Safe n Sound.

Any better ideas on the front speaker cable management are welcome too. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Learning about diffusion, absorption, diffraction teqniques and optimizing them is a science. Literally a science- that few people really understand very well.

You'd be best to start reading the acoustical master thread. Hiring a pro to come measure your speakers, room and develop a plan is the optimum coarse of action. If that's not possible I'd stick with basic "value" products and techniques that usually deliver consistent results. It won't be perfect but it should help a lot.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Btw it's not hard to DIY the products- but knowing where to put which is the problem.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Here's the first steps I would take:

Step 0: get a measurement system in place. Measure the response of each of your main speakers one at a time to get an idea of any frequency issues that may exists. Measure decay at one-octave intervals.

Step 1: install bass traps in convenient corners, particularly in the corners behind L & R, because you'll have some SBIR-related frequency issues to deal with there. Also behind the center.

Step 2: bring your wall panels down to be centered on seated ear height.

Step 3: Remeasure. You'll probably find that more low frequency absorption is in order to bring decay times into line. For your space and goals, I'd suggest a target "rt60" decay time around 0.4 seconds across the band.

Measuring for diffusion will be more complicated, but I think this should be a good start.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

@mfusik - Your first post is exactly why I came here. I don't have the money right now to hire someone for the job, but I also enjoy learning the tasks and science. I will look into the thread you mentioned. Thank you for that.

@HopefulFred - thank you for the response. I will have to research some of your steps as I'm not familiar with the process. Sounds like you are saying to use a microphone connected to a PC running an application that will give back results across a frequency band. Any recommendations on software? I have the setup and mics to do so. I would need software, and an understanding of exactly what I'm looking for. A flat response? I'm assuming a lot here. Any links or directions are welcome. Probably dumb it down for me for the time being. :-)

Also, I should have mentioned that the panels currently on the wall are not my end goal. Those were simply panels I put together on a whim one Saturday and figured it was better than nothing. They will not be used in the completion of this.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Start with checking out the REW forum at home theater shack. The software is free when you sign up for their forum membership. This is a deep rabbit hole, so I'll try to get you a link to some background reading later. (Or if you're a good googler, you might find the recommendations that Nyal Mellor and - shoot, I'm messing up the names - check acoustic frontiers website for their setup recommendations. It's chock full of good information about what and how to measure) if you can't find it, someone can find you a link. I have to get back to work.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

post #8 of 8 Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

@HopefulFred - Thanks for that document. It was a good read. Though I will need to read through it a couple times to soak it in. I visited the REW forum yesterday and got signed up. I installed the freeware and late last night I was able to calibrate before getting some rest. Everything is setup still so hopefully I can get some information together this evening after work. Though I have a few questions for the REW users over forum. The output would stay solid at -12db, and in order to match the return I had to turn my microphone and even the source really loud. Do so resulted in clipping during the sweep test... The tutorial I watched said to stay within 6db. Other than ignoring that advice I didn't find a way last night to correct the mic clip. Yes the sweep was really, really loud and the mic was clipping appropriately. Setup is a Mac, FireWire connected to personus firestudio, using a sterling st55 condenser.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page