First Projector Home Theater Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-09-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I am building a home theater room and have never owned a projector before. I have a couple questions about the projector placement and the screen. The projector I am using is a Benq W1070.

1. How far low off the ceiling does this projector have to be so that the image will clear a beam that the projector is placed directly behind. This beam is parallel to the screen wall and comes 9" off the ceiling.

2. I am planning on a 92" fixed frame screen but need help deciding on one. My budget is approximately $200-300 and I don't plan on putting speakers behind the screen, so I won't need a AT screen.

3. Will wall plates ruin the quality of the image if my setup is as such: Source --> HDMI --> Wall plate --> HDMI --> Wall plate --> HDMI --> Projector

Thank you for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
This might be helpful to you. You can check out the projector forum at Blu-ray.com or the PJ forum here if you have questions.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=221112

I am looking at the Elite Screens fixed 92" sable frame purchased from Amazon. If there was something better in the same price range I would consider it. I am going with ~1.0 gain screen because that should be plenty based on my throw distance of 10'9" or so.

1) not quite sure, but you can basically assume with a ceiling mount that the projector lens needs to be level with the top of the screen.
2) (see above)
3) I would avoid that scenario, if at all possible. 1 cable is ideal. The BenQ w1070 has been known to be picky with HDMI cables.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

This might be helpful to you. You can check out the projector forum at Blu-ray.com or the PJ forum here if you have questions.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=221112

I am looking at the Elite Screens fixed 92" sable frame purchased from Amazon. If there was something better in the same price range I would consider it. I am going with ~1.0 gain screen because that should be plenty based on my throw distance of 10'9" or so.

1) not quite sure, but you can basically assume with a ceiling mount that the projector lens needs to be level with the top of the screen.
2) (see above)
3) I would avoid that scenario, if at all possible. 1 cable is ideal. The BenQ w1070 has been known to be picky with HDMI cables.

1) So the projector lens needs to be level with the top of the screen but since this has lens shift of up to 30%, would the image be distorted if I use that lens shift to mount the projector below the top of the screen?
2) Thanks for the screen recommendation. I will definitely take a look at those.
3) Since I am routing the cables through the wall, what other option is there because a cable simple hanging out of a hole in the wall doesn't really look good.

Also, what color paint is recommended for a theater room?
post #4 of 14 Old 07-09-2013, 02:13 PM

generally, people go with as dark as paint as possible, and with as little gloss as possible. satin, eggshell, even flat. Note that flat tends to show fingerprints, etc like crazy.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
our current theater does not use plates or wall tubes - i simply have an extension cord and a 35ft 12 g hdmi cable worked into the ceiling then they come out of a small hope in the corner of the front of the room where my av equip is - my front wall and ceiling are both black and i have floating walls to block the equip so you would never see them even if looking -

but with our new build i opted for a ceiling tube for the hdmi cable and a ceiling outlet for the pj power cord - ceiling and front will wall still be black and will stick with darker colors as well with a maybe a lighter accent.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post

our current theater does not use plates or wall tubes - i simply have an extension cord and a 35ft 12 g hdmi cable worked into the ceiling then they come out of a small hope in the corner of the front of the room where my av equip is - my front wall and ceiling are both black and i have floating walls to block the equip so you would never see them even if looking -

but with our new build i opted for a ceiling tube for the hdmi cable and a ceiling outlet for the pj power cord - ceiling and front will wall still be black and will stick with darker colors as well with a maybe a lighter accent.

I may go with this as it sounds much better.

Also, as a first time projector owner and not having received the actual projector, a quick question:

According to the projector calculator, the projector needs to be 8'9 from the screen for a 92" image. But since I have a beam that is exactly 1 inch in front of the location, would it still work if I moved the projector back to approximately 10 feet? I know there is a zoom option to make the image larger, but I am not sure if the image can be made smaller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I found that as seen in the below picture, the projector calculator sets the default zoom value to 1.15x so if I were to set zoom to 1x on the projector, I can go up to 10'1 to get a 92" image. I have included a screen shot of what I am describing here.

However, just to confirm as I don't want to mount my projector at the wrong distance, am I correct? I have a BenQ W1070 and want a 92" screen.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-10-2013, 05:21 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
92 inches is actually a very small screen for home theater use. One common piece of advise for first time projector owners is to buy the projector and hang it where you suspect is should go. Shine it on the wall and experiment with different image sizes while sitting in your future location. Then order the screen accordingly. I was in your shoes once, my first screen (100 inches) was too small.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-10-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

92 inches is actually a very small screen for home theater use. One common piece of advise for first time projector owners is to buy the projector and hang it where you suspect is should go. Shine it on the wall and experiment with different image sizes while sitting in your future location. Then order the screen accordingly. I was in your shoes once, my first screen (100 inches) was too small.

The problem I have is that I don't have much more room and I'd like to leave at least a little bit of space on either side of the screen.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Screen size should always be evaluated in the context of viewing distance as well. From 10' away a 92" screen is the same size as a 110" screen from 12' away. So you can't really say "92" is too small" without also stating the viewing distance.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 AM

Liked: 14

When I was working on screen size, I was obsessed with lumens and ratios, lens throws and gain etc...  Seriously, I spent probably 100 hours researching or more!  When it came down to it, a lot of that went out the window after I set up my projector and got a "feeling" for the right size for my tastes, just like Big was saying.

Frankly, despite the size of the screen, once the movie starts, you kind of forget about the size for the most part.  I do anyway.  I would think that a smaller screen would be ok if it felt ok to you during a test.

EDIT: just read your other questions.  I wouldn't put an extension cable for power up there, just in case you were considering that.  It's most likely against your building code.  I did put the HDMI cable through a trimmed hole in the ceiling for my build.  Since my HDMI cable was so thick (because of the length), I was forced to use the port savers, which are like 6" extension cable that are thinner and allow you to bend them much more to get them plugged into the projector and source.

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #11 of 14 Old 07-11-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys.

Steve, I am finishing this basement from scratch and so I am simply putting the outlet above the projector on the ceiling for its power. As for the HDMI, I went with my set up as in the OP with the wall plates because after some research, I have found that HDMI cables either give you the picture or they don't and their is no such thing as degradation of cables and that's why cheaper cables also deliver the same quality picture as the high-end Monster cables.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I actually took your advice and thought about going bigger but in that case I would need a pull down screen instead of a fixed frame screen since my wall is not flat.

I wanted to know if anybody had any good pull down screen suggestions for either a 110" or a 120" screen, and preferably motorized. My budget is about 400 dollars.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Show us a picture of the screen wall, maybe we have some ideas to avoid a pull down
post #14 of 14 Old 07-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

This should help too:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_7265.pdf

Look specifically at page 16.

projector_distances.png

I made this specifically to convert mm to feet (in red).

This should help you out with the min/max distance for screen size and vice versa.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page