Cabling complications... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-09-2013, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone;

I wasn't sure if this was the correct forum to post in - so please direct me elsewhere if I chose wrong. smile.gif

We've just bought a new TV, the Samsung F8500 - 60". Yay. However, with the new TV come some complications. I have an Onkyo SR607 receiver (no ARC).

I have a total of 5 devices running in our setup. 3 consoles (xbox 360, PS3, Wii U) - an HTPC and our set top box. In order to reduce lag - I need to rename an input on my TV to "PC". By doing this, I reduce functionality on the TV for the other picture modes for the other input types.

Because the amp pipes all 5 devices to the TV - I can't rename the input due to loss of picture options for movie / tv watching. What do people recommend in this scenario? Is it okay for me to plug the consoles directly into the TV - and have the audio out of the TV back to the amp - while leaving the set top and HTPC going via the amp? This seems cumbersome and overly complex.

Just to complicate the issue further - I watch blu-ray through our PS3.

If my problem is the Onkyo - would a good solution be to go for an amp that has dual HDMI outputs? Then I can have all of the consoles out of one HDMI output (and into a PC optimized input on the TV) and the other devices via the other?

Thank you for any help. eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadriel View Post

Hi everyone;

I wasn't sure if this was the correct forum to post in - so please direct me elsewhere if I chose wrong. smile.gif

We've just bought a new TV, the Samsung F8500 - 60". Yay. However, with the new TV come some complications. I have an Onkyo SR607 receiver (no ARC).

I have a total of 5 devices running in our setup. 3 consoles (xbox 360, PS3, Wii U) - an HTPC and our set top box. In order to reduce lag - I need to rename an input on my TV to "PC". By doing this, I reduce functionality on the TV for the other picture modes for the other input types.

Because the amp pipes all 5 devices to the TV - I can't rename the input due to loss of picture options for movie / tv watching. What do people recommend in this scenario? Is it okay for me to plug the consoles directly into the TV - and have the audio out of the TV back to the amp - while leaving the set top and HTPC going via the amp? This seems cumbersome and overly complex.

If my problem is the Onkyo - would a good solution be to go for an amp that has dual HDMI outputs? Then I can have all of the consoles out of one HDMI output (and into a PC optimized input on the TV) and the other devices via the other?

I don't understand how renaming an input reduces functionality. Dual HDMI outputs on a newer receiver allow you the split the video signal out of the receiver to feed two sources. A newer receiver would solve the issues with cabling. Newer receivers also have a feature called Audio Return Channel that works with your television to send audio back to your receiver via HDMI. For now, find an optical cable connect the optical out of the TV to the optical in of your Onkyo.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Hi everyone;

I also don't understand your setup. If you have a receiver (Onkyo) with HDMI hooked up to your TV, then you shouldn't need any audio out from your TV. All of your devices should feed into your receiver and out to your TV. It gets a little more complicated with some versions of the 360 since they don't all have HDMI, but your set top box, PS3, HTPC, and Wii U should all have HDMI out. Renaming anything shouldn't affect your lag in any way. The receiver treats them all the same, and other than the ARC capability on your TV, all of the HDMI inputs on your TV behave the same.

I'll assume your XBOX 360 has Component Video with Stereo + Optical audio. If it has HDMI out, then the options are even easier. Hook all HDMI to the HDMI 1-X on your receiver, and then one HDMI cable from the HDMI out of your receiver to the HDMI in on your TV. In the case of the XBOX, sometimes your receiver won't auto-convert Component video in to HDMI out, but the audio can just go straight to your receiver and end there. You might also have to have component cables from your receiver's OUT to a component IN of your TV. With a receiver, really all you normally need these days is 1 HDMI cable no matter how many devices you have. If you aren't using a receiver, that means everything connects to your TV.

Looking at your receiver you have 5 inputs, which supports all of your devices. You have no need to use the ARC capabilities since there is no reason for the TV audio to go back to the receiver if it all originated from there.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-10-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for the replies thus far - I probably didn't explain well enough.

Currently - as you've suggested;

I have all of my devices connected via HDMI into my receiver. I then have one HDMI cable OUT from the receiver TO the TV. This makes for a relatively simple cabling solution. Its worth noting that I do already have an optical cable OUT from the tv and IN to the receiver. This is purely there for the TV smart features. I have HDMI-CEC enabled.

HOWEVER;

The TV has a feature whereby if you rename the input channel on the TV to 'PC' - then it reduces the input LAG significantly. However, by doing this - it removes a bunch of the televisions functionality in regards to cinema modes, colour correction etc etc. I'd like to generally configure the TV differently for gaming than for video.

So - with the above in mind, and the fact that 5 devices essentially end up on ONE input on the TV - I'm at a loss on how I can resolve my gaming LAG issue.

My other thought is perhaps splitting the HDMI output going to the TV and putting it into two source inputs on the television. Then I could configure those differently? Is there such a think as an HDMI splitter or something?

Thanks!
post #5 of 13 Old 07-10-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
An HDMI splitter on the AVR output might actually be the correct solution for you, so that you could assign one input as "PC", and switch to it for gaming.

The normal answer would be to run the game console(s) in question directly to the TV, and run the audio from the console(s) separately to the AVR, and switch the TV input. This can be made transparent by any decent universal remote with macro / activity support.

You might also try just disabling some of the image processing / "smooth motion" features one at a time to see what's causing the lag and see if you can just leave it disabled instead of resorting to PC / Game mode.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
You might want to check out monoproice.com for an HDMI matrix switch.

There is a very similar type situation with the older Mitsubishi 3-D ready TVs and the not being able to turn off the DLP link flash that washes out the picture when watching 3-D BRs. So the answer is to add a matrix switch and set one of the inputs on the TV for normal TV viewing, one for DVD/BR and one for BR 3-D to by pass the DLP Link Flash.

It sounds to me like a matrix switch will allow you to split the out put signal and rroute to whichever input on the TV you want. It may seem to complicate things at first, but once setup, it should work fine.

And if you order from monoprice, and you need an extra HDMI cable, order it from there as well. You will be amazed at the prices.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #7 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi guys, thanks for the replies thus far - I probably didn't explain well enough.

Currently - as you've suggested;

I have all of my devices connected via HDMI into my receiver. I then have one HDMI cable OUT from the receiver TO the TV. This makes for a relatively simple cabling solution. Its worth noting that I do already have an optical cable OUT from the tv and IN to the receiver. This is purely there for the TV smart features. I have HDMI-CEC enabled.

HOWEVER;

The TV has a feature whereby if you rename the input channel on the TV to 'PC' - then it reduces the input LAG significantly. However, by doing this - it removes a bunch of the televisions functionality in regards to cinema modes, colour correction etc etc. I'd like to generally configure the TV differently for gaming than for video.

So - with the above in mind, and the fact that 5 devices essentially end up on ONE input on the TV - I'm at a loss on how I can resolve my gaming LAG issue.

My other thought is perhaps splitting the HDMI output going to the TV and putting it into two source inputs on the television. Then I could configure those differently? Is there such a think as an HDMI splitter or something?

Thanks!

That makes MUCH more sense! Thank you! Yes, I'd suggest the same as suggested below. Though it costs money for parts, just splitting the receiver's out to two HDMI cables would allow you to have two cables going into TV, then you could just switch input source and have one always set for gaming, and one not. That's a weird way of implementing that feature though, don't know why it isn't just a button on the remote to activate it for any input. In fact, that's horrible engineering!
post #8 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 07:59 AM

Liked: 13

Some fair warning: If you do end up going with an HDMI splitter, keep the packaging.  I ran into issues with several splitters where I was unable to get full 3D and bitstream audio (DTS-MA & Dolby True HD) to work at one time.  That is, if that applies to your setup anyway. :)

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #9 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is the link to splitters on monoprice
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306
and here are matrix switches
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002

Keep in mind, you technically don't need both outputs running at the same time, a splitter isn't really necessary, but both should accomplish your end goal, assuming the unit is in working condition.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
The HDMI splitter on the output of the AVR would be the most likely setup to work - you'll avoid any audio issues (bitstream, DTS-MA, etc.) as the AVR will have already dealt with it, and with both legs of the splitter going to the same display, EDID compatibility shouldn't be an issue, either.

I'd steer away from a matrix for this setup, as it adds complexity that you won't be taking advantage of...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #11 of 13 Old 07-11-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome - thank you so much all.

Last question; in the future, when I get around to upgrading the receiver - would a dual output receiver be better or should I stick with the splitter?
post #12 of 13 Old 07-12-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
If we could predict the future the we'd ALL be rich.

I don't think you'll have much choice in the future. The trend seems to be to add multiple HDMI outputs.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #13 of 13 Old 07-12-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome - thank you so much all.

Last question; in the future, when I get around to upgrading the receiver - would a dual output receiver be better or should I stick with the splitter?

Quite a few receivers already have multiple HDMI outs, so if you are doing an upgrade, just look for this as a feature!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page