Professional cinema speakers for HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering using JBL professional 3000 series cinema speakers for my home theatre. The plan would be to install three JBL 3677 Cinema loudspeakers for LCR and two pairs of 8320 Compact Cinema speakers for surround.

Anyone here with experience of these speakers?

I'm planning to use my old faithful Yamaha DSP-Z11 amplifier, but I'm wondering whether it can drive these speakers or do I need dedicated amps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Here's an old thread that talks about this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/853916/jbl-or-other-commercial-cinema-speakers-at-home

I personally really like the JBL horn speaker for HT, having used the old Synthesis Three speakers in my last theater. I plan to use JBL Array 1400s and 800 for my next one.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:52 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
There are plenty of Home theater brothers primarily in the DIY speaker section that can sing the praises of utilizing a two way system consisting of a capable woofer paired with a compression driver on a 90x40 horn, There are many iterations of this formula including many that you can build yourself. I have three doing LCR duty in my theater. I have the JBL 2226H woofer and a B&C driver on a horn with a custom designed crossover from Wayne Parham. Love them. The beauty of the horn is that they can handle power without distrorting like a dome tweeter will at high volumes.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Brilliant, thanks!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Any advice on which JBL pro models would be best suitable for HT? Seems the 3677's have a pretty mediocre frequency response.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 327
The 2226 is a well renowned driver. Personally I would look into AE's offerings as well. The TD12/15M is a highly regarded driver. Due to the current cost of the 2226's, a lot of guys have moved that direction. I am running (3) TD15m's mated up to a SEOS WG and a BMS4550 CD. Erich offers a DNA360 CD which has almost identical FR to the BMS driver for a bit less.

Check out DIYsoundgroup.com as well as hopping over to the DIY speaker forum.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

Old 07-13-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Other than JBL also check out QSC's acoustic design series (use a good quality B&C compression driver).

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/acoustic_design/acousticdesign.htm

And the new comer (the founder/designer also designed QSC's speakers from what I understand)

http://www.professionalhomecinema.com/

If you go down the DIY path, I echo the comments on Acoustic Elegance. I've just about made up my mind to use them, superb drivers (and good prices for what they are relatve to the Euro equivalents e.g. PHL)

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Mike View Post

Any advice on which JBL pro models would be best suitable for HT? Seems the 3677's have a pretty mediocre frequency response.

Brad did a build with JBL 2226's - A modified DIY soundgroup type project. He got the JBL drivers cheap- They are like $500 each new normally. I believe he got them from Eric from DIY soundgroup - they were used but in great condition and taken out of a theater.

Check his PIMP MY GARAGE thread.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 07-13-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm considering using JBL professional 3000 series cinema speakers for my home theatre. The plan would be to install three JBL 3677 Cinema loudspeakers for LCR and two pairs of 8320 Compact Cinema speakers for surround.

Anyone here with experience of these speakers?

I'm planning to use my old faithful Yamaha DSP-Z11 amplifier, but I'm wondering whether it can drive these speakers or do I need dedicated amps?

There are many advantages of the SEOS and the DIY soundgroup type projects that would work well for you, First- It is cheaper, Second- The speakers are efficient and play really loud without need for extreme wattage, and last they are very directional so you can get the sound where you want it- and not where you don't want it.

You might like something like this:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-series-kits/fusion15-kit.html

Here is the build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1447683/high-output-multiple-driver-diy-main-recommendations/300_100

You could sub out different parts if your insisting on JBL brand parts. I would check out this too: (Brads build)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/900_100#post_22570181

That is his theater build ^

His 2226 JBL SEOS is here :http://www.avsforum.com/t/1422024/seos-12-dna-360-jbl-2226-j-build/0_100

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

And the new comer (the founder/designer also designed QSC's speakers from what I understand)

Excellent speakers!!! PHC (professonal home cinema) is now called Proaudio Technology.

For home theater, they have the BIG cinema sound.........I loved them, but!

You have to purchase their amps which double as DSP..............and bring the big bucks to enter the game............like minimum $35,000 for 5.1 sound.

Mingle with Saudi princes.............or even Tom Cruise (sticking finger in mouth) when purchasing such a system...........
Old 07-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Other than JBL also check out

These are very impressive sonically. I went with three 2115's across the fronts, with smaller units for sides and rears. Paul Hales, one of the leaders of the company, designed and built some of my earliest "audiophile speakers" three decades ago.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 PM

Check out JBLs 4722N. A member here has those with a 3677 center if I remember correctly and he preferred the 4722 over some Danley's. I'm about to build a SEOS design (x11) from the website mentioned above but you have to assemble those yourself.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I absolutely love the idea of building my own. I have to use JBL pro, because I know a dealer who will sponsor my project if I do. That's unless I really don't want to, but based on your thoughts they should work fine for my purpose. I have another theatre in my house with more sophistication wink.gif

Will my yamaha dsp-z11 be able to drive something I create out of the 2226's? Or is it pointless to use standard consumer amps for these monsters?
Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How loud do you need to go ?

-

Old 07-14-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

How loud do you need to go ?

Well that's not an easy question to answer. Obviously I'm considering this setup for the ability to go really loud, but if my z11 won't even allow the speakers to break a sweat, then what's the point? I suppose I'm asking what kind of amplification this speaker can handle? Is it several times more than my amp can handle?

My room is 23x14 feet so not huge by any means. It's more a psychological thing to enjoy sitting in front of enormous power.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Also, is it a big problem that the Z11 doesn't have balanced xlr outs if I want external amplification? Does it matter whether the dedicated amps are close to the speakers or in a control room?
Old 07-14-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

.......like minimum $35,000 for 5.1 sound.......

I had no idea, I thought they'd be "in line" with some of the others mentioned. Pretty rich considering they probably "just" use BMS CD

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

Old 07-14-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well that's not an easy question to answer. Obviously I'm considering this setup for the ability to go really loud, but if my z11 won't even allow the speakers to break a sweat, then what's the point? I suppose I'm asking what kind of amplification this speaker can handle? Is it several times more than my amp can handle?

My room is 23x14 feet so not huge by any means. It's more a psychological thing to enjoy sitting in front of enormous power.

Depends on the sensitivity and distance from the speakers. Most pro speakers have ratings in the upper 90's, which are able to be driven to reference levels with very little power. The AE/SEOS designs spec out in the 97 range, with most others grouped closely. My TD15's played to ear bleeding levels in a similar sized room off my 3009. Only reason I added an external amp was because I went with 4 ohm mains and heights, and wanted to take that extra strain off the receiver.

Quote:

Also, is it a big problem that the Z11 doesn't have balanced xlr outs if I want external amplification? Does it matter whether the dedicated amps are close to the speakers or in a control room?

IME, balanced outputs are only necessary with longer runs. If your external amp is located close to your receiver, the typical pre outs are fine. I've never had an issue with noise using non XLR connections with my consumer or pro gear. YMMV.

Achievement Unlocked

Old 07-14-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

IME, balanced outputs are only necessary with longer runs. If your external amp is located close to your receiver, the typical pre outs are fine. I've never had an issue with noise using non XLR connections with my consumer or pro gear. YMMV.

Yeah, that makes sense.

But say a speaker is 40ft of cable away from the receiver, then isn't it better to locate the external amps close to the speakers so that the amp to speaker cable is as short as possible? Typical XLR cable is fairly inexpensive also.

I think I might want to display my amps in a rack if I go that route though.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I read for 2 months straight, sometimes for the entire day several days in a row, about speakers and overall HT. i ended up with the JBL 3677 L/C/R and 4 8320 surrounds.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Old 07-14-2013, 06:40 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

Ok I absolutely love the idea of building my own. I have to use JBL pro, because I know a dealer who will sponsor my project if I do. That's unless I really don't want to, but based on your thoughts they should work fine for my purpose. I have another theatre in my house with more sophistication wink.gif

Will my yamaha dsp-z11 be able to drive something I create out of the 2226's? Or is it pointless to use standard consumer amps for these monsters?

Should be fine. If you build something, you want a system designed by a "pro" with years of experience in designing and tweeking crossovers and measuring performance. The SEOS crew is great but it would hard to beat the years of refinement that has gone into the 4Pi speaker and the plans including the crossover are available for free for asking on Wayne's forum.

My build:

http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=63366&&srch=basic+black#msg_63366

DSC03501.jpg
Old 07-14-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

I read for 2 months straight, sometimes for the entire day several days in a row, about speakers and overall HT. i ended up with the JBL 3677 L/C/R and 4 8320 surrounds.

Nice, what are your experiences? Are those JBL woofers?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Quote:

Should be fine. If you build something, you want a system designed by a "pro" with years of experience in designing and tweeking crossovers and measuring performance. The SEOS crew is great but it would hard to beat the years of refinement that has gone into the 4Pi speaker and the plans including the crossover are available for free for asking on Wayne's forum.

Looks perfect. So those are 2226's and which horns?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:22 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

it is the B&C 250 driver on an Eminence horn but I think that is no longer available and Wayne sells a replacement.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=294-605

http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/4/products_id/276
Old 07-14-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What's difference between DE250 and a SEOS with a DNA360?

Jeff- have you heard both ?

-

Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

Nice, what are your experiences? Are those JBL woofers?

Not much experience just read a lot. Yes, those are jbl 3677.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Old 07-15-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What's difference between DE250 and a SEOS with a DNA360?

Jeff- have you heard both ?

There are some direct comparisons to both speakers in the DIY forum. Most tend to gravitate to the 360; it really is a superb driver for very little money.

There are xover options available here and on the DIY sound group forum with xover schematics for the SEOS speakers as well. The TD12M with SEOS12 and DNA360 has a tried and true oxer. Matt also listed the schematics for the TD15m with SEOS12 and BMS4550 that was used in my build.

Achievement Unlocked

Old 08-24-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm definetly thinking this is the route I want to take.

Thanks

-

Tags
Jbl 8320 Compact Cinema Surround Speaker For Digital Applications