Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 233 Old 05-05-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

I like #3 the best. Is it like a chocolate brown or something? Hard to tell with the lighting etc.

Yeah the lighting stinks. They are all in the purple family. #3 looks very purple in real life. The last one at the bottom #5 is more of a chocolate brown purple.

My First Build Ever in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 233 Old 05-05-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a better representation of the colors using the flash on the camera. @Jonny5nz is #3 still your favorite?

post #93 of 233 Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Painted the in wall plates black tonight. Tomorrow I would like to paint the left and right channel plates. The next night I plan to paint the speaker boxes. I'll need to pick up some flat black mouse ears with primer to tackle that job. I'll use whats left over for painting the rack.

post #94 of 233 Old 05-05-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Mauve? Lilac? Orchid? Iris? Wisteria?...Really?!

Number 5 looks like dried blood. Go with that one!
craig72 likes this.

post #95 of 233 Old 05-05-2014, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to go with a color I hadn't seen much of. I originally wanted a dark grey or light brown but I thought a blue or purple would look more interesting and different from other builds. Orchid was somewhere between blue and purple so it seemed perfect. But yes you're right, maybe I should go with dried blood. eek.gif

I'm going to have to mock these colors up in Sketchup.

post #96 of 233 Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I would definitely not pick number 3. LOL. I would go number 2, or maybe number 5 (need a better sample) Colours can also change depending on what colour they are next too. What accent colours are you going to be using?
post #97 of 233 Old 05-06-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

I would definitely not pick number 3. LOL. I would go number 2, or maybe number 5 (need a better sample) Colours can also change depending on what colour they are next too. What accent colours are you going to be using?

I am planning to wrap my acoustic panels in one of the 3 red GOMs in this picture..

The reds in the pick go from bright Red to Dark Burgundy. I like the shade of red thats in the middle of those two, located bottom left.
As for the wood in the theater (both bars, columns, crown moulding, in wall wet-bar cabinets) I am going to stain in cabernet, which is like a dark red-ish wood stain.

My laptop with my full basement Sketchup plan crashed. I ordered a new laptop, hopefully I can slave the drive and get all my files off it. In the meanwhile, I found an older version of my plan on Google Drive so I did a quick mock up of the colors...

post #98 of 233 Old 05-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

This is looking really awesome!

post #99 of 233 Old 05-07-2014, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad31 View Post

This is looking really awesome!

Thanks! With the weather getting better around here its getting harder to stay down in the bunker chopping wood. biggrin.gif Thanks for the encouragement.

post #100 of 233 Old 05-08-2014, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, steady rolling... I bought some flat mouse ears paint with primer to finish off the MDF speaker boxes and paint the AV Rack closet drywall and MDF.
I also bought 2 more paint samples for the wall that are more on the blue end of the spectrum than purple.
I also bought a couple of primed finger joined pine studs to finish the false wall.
I also bought a lot of 4.5 inch oak crown moulding. Hopefully I don't screw these up cause I don't know how I will get any more of these in the exact style!

I've been working out designs to finish out my AV Rack, basically all I need is four walls to box it in and a thin sheet of underlayment to attach to the back of it. I didn't plan the studs well so I will likely use velcro to attach the underlayment it to the back of the box instead of having it swing open like a back door. The left and right sides of the box will be the drywall that is mounted on the inside of the closet. I havent decided what I'm going to do about the top. The top of the rack is the bottom of my conduit box. I'll attach some pics later...

post #101 of 233 Old 05-08-2014, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Back of the AV Rack

Front

I'm not going to build a box for this rack, I am just going to:
1) paint the walls black
2) cover up the left and right studs with 1/2" MDF painted black
2) anchor 3 small wooden battens(or other suitable hardware) to the drywall on both sides so that I can attach a back panel to them
3) attach an underlayment ply sheet painted black to the battens using velcro for the back cover of the rack

I want to leave 1/2" gaps in the side and back of the rack to allow the light above the rack to shine through as well as allow ventilation and space for cords/wiring to pass through. Eventually I may mount a large PC fan on the rack that I have left over from a years old PC build. Hopefully it works out. This weekend is a Mother's day weekend so I probably wont be able to start this phase of the build until the weekend after.

post #102 of 233 Old 05-20-2014, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Last weekend I decided to move the screen wall back 2.5 inches. This gave me some space between the screen frame and the screen wash gimbals. This also gives the screen wash a much better look.

I also painted the AV Rack closet. This flat black is nuts... anywhere you touch it leaves a dusty fingerprint. rolleyes.gif

I decided to mock up my AV Rack design in Sketchup. I'm glad I did. It helped me to work out what I wanted to do and I had to modify my design slightly. Better to modify it in Sketchup now than to waste perfectly good wood on a Saturday afternoon. tongue.gif

Here is a pic with the rack overlaid on a real picture of the rack opening. I just learned how to do this in Sketchup last night. Not sure this is the intended purpose of the tool but it helps to visualize my design.

The only thing different with my design than others on AVS who have used the same shelving system is that:
1) I wanted to leave space around the shelves for wiring and for light to shine through.
2) I wanted to close in the back of the rack with a thin board of wood that I can easily remove and replace when going behind the rack to make wiring adjustments, etc
3) I want to use MDF shelves as opposed to plywood because I like the smoothness of MDF for painting. I'll probably use a glossy black paint for the shelves that doesnt attract dust and smudges mad.gif
4) at some point I want to integrate a PC fan in the top rack shelf or in the back panel... not sure it will work on the back panel because the panel will be so thin.. I'm thinking 1/8 of an inch...

I got my oak crown moulding delivered the other day for the soffit light tray. I found a good deal on eBay which was almost half the price of Home Depot's for the exact same molding. Win! I cant wait to get it up. I've never hung crown but I've done some research and I think I can do it.. If I mess up I can always shoot over to HD to get more molding to replace my goofs. I'll probably buy that molding jig thingy to help keep me from getting dislexic on all those forward and backwards angle cuts. cool.gif
willdabeastIam likes this.

post #103 of 233 Old 05-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Liked: 18

Looks good! I wish I could figure out how to use sketchup it seems like a very useful tool. Are you using the free or paid version?

post #104 of 233 Old 05-20-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersnow View Post

Looks good! I wish I could figure out how to use sketchup it seems like a very useful tool. Are you using the free or paid version?

Thanks! I'm using the free version. I've been using the free version for years and so far I haven't found anything that I needed to do that the free version couldn't do. Its super useful when designing to scale and with the correct angles.
Makes it easy to translate your measurements to the theater space. Using Sketchup has made me go back numerous times to check my real life measurements and finding they were off but way more accurate in the software.

post #105 of 233 Old 05-20-2014, 01:01 PM

Liked: 11

This looks awesome! Great job!

quamosa likes this.
post #106 of 233 Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Looking large n in charge yet again!!

wink.gif

Keep going!
quamosa likes this.
post #107 of 233 Old 05-22-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
What final color did you choose ? (I like the purple)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #108 of 233 Old 05-22-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What final color did you choose ? (I like the purple)

I had a hard time getting the WAF on the purple. We finally agreed on a slight nudge towards the blue end of the purple spectrum... here's a pic...

Mfusick, looking at the 2 small paint patches in the middle of the pic, we agreed on the left small patch. Its more blue than purple and just a tad lighter. I hope it doesnt end up too light. I may try to get the original purple I liked used somewhere in the theater like on the trimwork. I have a preliminary WAF on that idea. We'll see if it sticks when I reach the home stretch.

I'll be working a little on the AV Rack this weekend so I'm hoping to finally paint next weekend.

post #109 of 233 Old 05-22-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Looking large n in charge yet again!!

wink.gif

Keep going!

Zulu, minor setback for this weekend. I have to take down my screen material and return it for an exchange. I have some wrinkles on the material that wont go away. Aside from that... full speed ahead captain!
I'll be going to a builder's auction in a few weeks. Hopefully I can pick up a vanity for the bathroom and a few solid core doors for the theater.
zuluwalker likes this.

post #110 of 233 Old 06-01-2014, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Had a setback last weekend. I adjusted my circular saw for a cut and accidentally knocked it off the table. mad.gif Needless to say it got banged up pretty bad so I ended up putting it out of its misery Office Space copy machine style. biggrin.gif After that I ran over to HD and bought a table saw and finished the work on the AV Rack. I got one shelf made and realized that I still needed to replace the broken circular saw. I wasnt able to rig up a table support to make handling 2x4' sheets of MDF easy across the table saw. This past weekend I put together a few gift cards and bought a circular saw and a new jig saw to replace my current one which started slipping its blades. In the morning yesterday I went over to a builder's auction in Baltimore and picked up a nice 48 inch cabernet vanity for the bathroom and a leather reclining massage chair. In the afternoon, I finished up another 3 shelves for the rack with the new circular saw. I think so far its turned out well. Here's a pic of the test fit...

I originally thought I would add a glass door to the front but I've decided to add a hinged gom panel door over the rack.

post #111 of 233 Old 06-08-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Took a break and went to Atlantic City this weekend. Next weekend I'll be back on my theater grind.

post #112 of 233 Old 06-17-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
Took a break and went to Atlantic City this weekend. Next weekend I'll be back on my theater grind.
This new format is going to take some getting used to, I'm not sure how to do inline pictures without hosting.

Father's Day was good. I had some of my family come down and help me primer the rest of the basement while I finished creating the shelves for the AV Rack. I so far have 6 shelves made which I think should be enough because for right now I can only think of using the following equipment:

1) cable box 1 (theater)
2) cable box 2 (rec room)
3) ps3
4) wii u
5) sony dh-520 (rec room)
6) aiwa 5.1 (rec room amp) <-- this will hopefully power 3 2.1 speaker sets, one over the pool table, one in the bathroom, and another in the rear room

I realized that I bought the wrong attachments for my air nailer so I wasnt able to finish the rack completely. I bought an air compressor starter kit yesterday so that I can finish attaching the left/right wood panels. I'll use wood glue and brads. Once everything is all set up and test fitted, I will paint everything in my left over primer mixed mouse ears paint.

I hope to find something to coat all the rack's MDF surfaces with to protect the paint from scuffs and fingerprints. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

A few pics of the newly primered surfaces of the rec room area...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	primered rec room 2.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	122194   Click image for larger version

Name:	primeredrecroom.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	122202  

Last edited by quamosa; 06-17-2014 at 12:10 PM.
post #113 of 233 Old 06-17-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
If you want to add the pictures full sized you need to open the pictures in another window and copy the URL adress from it. Then paste the URL adress from the pictures between the image codes [img] and [/img]

Example. You first pictures URL is this: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...4&d=1403020235

Past that between the image code.

zuluwalker likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #114 of 233 Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
If you want to add the pictures full sized you need to open the pictures in another window and copy the URL adress from it. Then paste the URL adress from the pictures between the image codes [img] and [/img]

Example. You first pictures URL is this: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...4&d=1403020235

Past that between the image code.
Mfusick, thanks! I had just thought about trying that but it seemed like too many extra steps. I figured there had to be an easier way like before.

post #115 of 233 Old 06-17-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm. I have obviously been following your build a lot closer than my own old theater thread. Just noticed today that you posted some questions a month ago. Will re-post questions here.

"Did you stain the wood yourself? Which stain did you use? How many coats? Did you add any layers of glossy sealants after the staining? I found a cabernet that looks like that but I havent tested it yet."

I used an all in one consumer product called Minwax Polyshade, which combines stain with a clear coat. I wouldn't recommend it and don't know if it is even still available. It did a good job of staining light colored soft wood (which your typical consumer stain won't touch), but it was an absolute bear to apply evenly, even on flat trim pieces.

I have since found the wonders of aniline die and am absolutely amazed at how evenly and thoroughly it stains maple, fir, pine, etc. Only problem is that it is water soluble so needs to be clear coated when done.

post #116 of 233 Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I used an all in one consumer product called Minwax Polyshade, which combines stain with a clear coat. I wouldn't recommend it and don't know if it is even still available. It did a good job of staining light colored soft wood (which your typical consumer stain won't touch), but it was an absolute bear to apply evenly, even on flat trim pieces.

I have since found the wonders of aniline die and am absolutely amazed at how evenly and thoroughly it stains maple, fir, pine, etc. Only problem is that it is water soluble so needs to be clear coated when done.
I was looking at the Varathane stain+poly. Do you think it might be better than the Minwax you used? What brand of aniline die were you working with?

post #117 of 233 Old 07-01-2014, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

I just got back from vacation and getting back into the swing of things.
Here is where my build now stands...

I cut up 6 shelves for the rack and painted them a flat black.

I created the stands and anchors for the back cover of the rack.
Upper anchors

Lower stands and anchors

Test fit for the back cover which rests on the stands and will be painted black, then anchored to the anchors via velcro.

AV Rack closet light on. It doesnt light up the rack like I expected. I may experiment with adding a half inch gap on the sides of the back cover as well to see if light spill is increased.

Realizing that my shelves will scuff up the flat black paint on the sides of the rack and on the walls, I am looking into purchasing some semi gloss clear paint. I'll paint all the flat black surfaces of the rack to hopefully protect from dust, nicks, and scratches from the shelves.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140621_165149.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	143274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140621_215324.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	143282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140621_215253.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	143290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140623_161423.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	143298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140623_163044.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	143306  

Name:	IMG_20140621_164647.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	143314  

post #118 of 233 Old 07-01-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
I was looking at the Varathane stain+poly. Do you think it might be better than the Minwax you used? What brand of aniline die were you working with?
I imagine the Varathane stain + poly is very similar to the Minwax brand. The problem is that the intensity of the color is in direct proportion to how thick you apply the poly. Unless you are using a sprayer it is VERY difficult to lay it on evenly. Every brush stroke is visible. For the most part I only used it on straight lumber laying flat in board lengths. I couldn't image trying to apply it on installed molding.

The aniline dye I used was from Lee Valley. You can order it in small packets of dry powder which you then dissolve in hot water. I went with one pack per quart which gave a very concentrated mixture. I have tried a couple different colors and found that "Rosewood" provides a rich looking dark red'ish color. I had best results by applying the stain with a brush, rubbing it in with a damp cloth to even out the color, letting it dry then hitting it with a spray can of poly to lock it down. Afterwards a couple coats of brushed on poly and you are done. The almost instant transformation of light colored softwood was very satisfying. Good luck.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42942

Last edited by DavidK442; 07-01-2014 at 08:26 AM.
post #119 of 233 Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Speaking of stain and poly, I did some more work on my AV Rack. I painted 2 coats of flat black and 2 coats of gloss clear paint on each surface in the rack. I spent a good thirty minutes sanding down one side of each of my shelves to make them fit in the rack. I was successful, but the test fit was performed without the 2 layers of paint and the 2 coats of gloss. So basically now my shelves are about 1/8 of an inch too wide and I'll spend another 30 minutes to an hour sanding them down again. Fun! I'm OK with how the rack has turned out, but I'm ready to move on. If I were to do this again I would just spray paint a glossy black on the MDF parts and use semi gloss paint+primer black to paint the AV rack drywall walls. It would've been less work and the surfaces would have had a far smoother finish.

I got my Theater Room FIOS HD box tonight and hooked it all up in the rack. I watched a bunch of different channels and one thing I noticed right away is the FIOS signal didn't look as good as I thought it would. I'm wondering if thats due to my coax being split into too high a number of sources before amplification or the HD box itself is altering the picture.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140705_190355.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	152738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140705_190308.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	152746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140707_223110.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	152754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140705_190414.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	152762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140707_223156.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	152770  

Name:	IMG_20140705_190341.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	152778  

post #120 of 233 Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Bugger about the painting. It can be soooo disheartening to have to redo work.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com