My First Build Ever - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 220 Old 07-08-2014, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The coax connection to your fios box is simply providing an Ethernet connection over coax, eg, MoCA. The number of times you split it will not affect picture quality at all. Your connection will either work or not work. Unless your video is choppy, which might mean a bad network connection or dropped frames.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 220 Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
The coax connection to your fios box is simply providing an Ethernet connection over coax, eg, MoCA. The number of times you split it will not affect picture quality at all. Your connection will either work or not work. Unless your video is choppy, which might mean a bad network connection or dropped frames.
This makes sense. Thanks. I guess that leaves the HD converter box. I have a multi room DVR on the main floor on a Vizio LED and the HD picture just looks better as in less visible artifacts and clearer HD image. I'm now wondering if the multi room DVR has a better image processor. Is it worth moving the multi room DVR to the basement this evening to test out my theory or is there a quick answer to this issue?

My First Build Ever in progress
post #123 of 220 Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
This makes sense. Thanks. I guess that leaves the HD converter box. I have a multi room DVR on the main floor on a Vizio LED and the HD picture just looks better as in less visible artifacts and clearer HD image. I'm now wondering if the multi room DVR has a better image processor. Is it worth moving the multi room DVR to the basement this evening to test out my theory or is there a quick answer to this issue?
Seems that would be the best way to test it. Are you sure you aren't just seeing the compression artifacts easier now that the screen is much, much bigger?

post #124 of 220 Old 07-08-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Are you sure you aren't just seeing the compression artifacts easier now that the screen is much, much bigger?
That is also a definite consideration. The projected image diagonal is double the diagonal of my TVs. I imagined that FIOS being fiber based would provide a far less compressed image. I may have to stock up on my Blu Ray collection.

post #125 of 220 Old 07-08-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
That is also a definite consideration. The projected image diagonal is double the diagonal of my TVs. I imagined that FIOS being fiber based would provide a far less compressed image. I may have to stock up on my Blu Ray collection.
It does provide a far less compressed image, comparable to other competitors (Comcast, etc). I believe someone did a review of HD sources and FIOS came on top.

That being said, it is still compressed. VERY compressed. Blu ray is definitely the way to go to show things off.
quamosa likes this.

post #126 of 220 Old 07-16-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

I spent the past week or so priming the rest of the basement. I was able to finish priming the entertainment room (bar area), bathroom, linen closet, under stair closet, overflow room, and secure the window sills. Now I just need to pick out a paint color for all of it and get started with the painting.

I'm pretty sure I will go with the blue for the theater room and some sort of green-ish color for everything else in the basement. I just need to run out and get paint. Hopefully I can paint the theater room this weekend and then all next week try painting the rest of the basement.

I would have pics but my phone died on Friday (wont turn on) and I haven't backed up my phone in months! All my pics, videos, family trip pics... all gone.

My next phone I am going back to removable sd cards for sure.

post #127 of 220 Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I would have pics but my phone died on Friday (wont turn on) and I haven't backed up my phone in months! All my pics, videos, family trip pics... all gone.

My next phone I am going back to removable sd cards for sure.

someone should be able to recover all that data. don't release possession of it until you're sure that's the case.
post #128 of 220 Old 07-18-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
someone should be able to recover all that data. don't release possession of it until you're sure that's the case.
I have a local shop taking a look. Initial prognosis is not looking good. They say they might have to remove the sd card chip and solder it into a working phone to get my data but the phone itself might be toast.

post #129 of 220 Old 07-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a local shop taking a look. Initial prognosis is not looking good. They say they might have to remove the sd card chip and solder it into a working phone to get my data but the phone itself might be toast.
still the SD card in your old phone is still fine - it just needs to be hooked up to something that can read it.
post #130 of 220 Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

This is my first staining attempt. Not as even as I hoped but in the grand scheme of the theater I guess it won't look bad if I leave it as is. I also started ripping the finger joint pine for my screen wall. Next up I will rip studs at a 45 degree angle to use as my crown molding anchors and cove lighting mounts.

post #131 of 220 Old 07-21-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
still the SD card in your old phone is still fine - it just needs to be hooked up to something that can read it.
They said the "logic board was fried" the scdard is internal so its a part of the "logic board" they said it was very expensive ($800) to remove the chip and resolder it in a new board. They say they do it mainly for lawyers who need to retrieve data for a court case. Oy! I have a warranty replacement for the phone so now I have to return my old phone so I don't get charged for the new one. Basically I lose all 32 gigs of data pics videos etc.

post #132 of 220 Old 07-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They said the "logic board was fried" the scdard is internal so its a part of the "logic board" they said it was very expensive ($800) to remove the chip and resolder it in a new board. They say they do it mainly for lawyers who need to retrieve data for a court case. Oy! I have a warranty replacement for the phone so now I have to return my old phone so I don't get charged for the new one. Basically I lose all 32 gigs of data pics videos etc.
They should at least give you the damaged logic board wirh the chip on it. That sucks dude
post #133 of 220 Old 07-29-2014, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
They should at least give you the damaged logic board wirh the chip on it. That sucks dude
So I did get the phone back. I was able to fix it myself in about 30 minutes by opening up the phone and swapping out the sdcard chip with a chip from a warranty replacement phone I was sent by my phone carrier. Once I did the swap my broken phone came back to life and even still worked when I swapped the original sdcard chip back into it. No thanks to those jokers at the cellphone repair company.

post #134 of 220 Old 07-29-2014, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Theater update... I spent a few days deliberating on the final color to paint the theater room. I downloaded a few apps that help you to visualize colors. I ended up going with a color called Deep Orchid. It took me about 4 hours to paint the whole room. I do like how it turned out. The color looks blue in some light and purple in others. The actual color is somewhere inbetween. Here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater painted side.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	185442   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater painted rear ceiling.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	185450   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater painted front main.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	185458   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater painted front looks blue.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	185466   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater painted back.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	185474  

Name:	theater front purple main clear.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	185482  

post #135 of 220 Old 07-29-2014, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I did get the phone back. I was able to fix it myself in about 30 minutes by opening up the phone and swapping out the sdcard chip with a chip from a warranty replacement phone I was sent by my phone carrier. Once I did the swap my broken phone came back to life and even still worked when I swapped the original sdcard chip back into it. No thanks to those jokers at the cellphone repair company.
Glad you got your data back - what a joke. Who was the carrier?
post #136 of 220 Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Glad you got your data back - what a joke. Who was the carrier?
I have Verizon.

post #137 of 220 Old 07-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have Verizon.
that's incredibly disheartening - they are widely regarded as the best carrier...

anyways, back to theater building! git r done!
quamosa likes this.
post #138 of 220 Old 08-03-2014, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

I started working on the crown molding today. It took me all day just to get the backer strips ripped and hung. It took some effort to get the backers secured. I'll line my soffits with MDF or ply if I ever do another build.

I first ripped a couple of studs at 38 degrees.

Then I used finish nails as helpers to help me position and hang the backer.

I left gaps in the strips to leave space for outlet covers. I have 4 circuit boxes in the soffit. I redid the electrical in the theater room and was too lazy to rerun a few circuits so I ended up placing 2 junction boxes for lighting, one junction box for the equipment's 24 amp circuit, and a last box for the rope light power in the soffit.

After many hours of standing on a chair measuring cutting stud finding nailing screwing and more screwing I barely squeezed this out...

Hopefully the crown will look even when I install it. I never done this before and I'm hoping I don't goof and waste any wood. Tomorrow I'll be staining these and if time permits I will try hanging them.

Jonny5nz likes this.

post #139 of 220 Old 08-06-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the crown moulding stained with 1 coat of stain and 3 coats of satin poly.
I ordered the crown from eBay at half price so I didnt get to choose the lengths. This will cause me to have 2 scarf joints, one on each side of the theater within 12" - 20" inches from the center of the soffit. Hopefully I can hide the joints well. Still debating whether I should join the mouldings before mounting them. I bought a moulding jig to help me cut for the various angles without getting too dislexic. Should start and hopefully finish this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stainedcrown.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	200721   Click image for larger version

Name:	stainedcrown2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	200729  

post #140 of 220 Old 08-06-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 96
The stain took well. Oak I assume?

post #141 of 220 Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
The stain took well. Oak I assume?
Yes that is oak. The stain turned out a little more "red" than I expected but I think it will still work well in the grand scheme of things.

post #142 of 220 Old 08-11-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Crown install was successful with a quite a bit of wood left to spare.
Here are my two helpers looking all angelic like. They really helped me with hanging 170" inches of crown on both long sides of soffit as well as the short sides.

I first assembled my two scarf joints on my work bench with a thin strip of 3/4 inch plywood and a couple pocket screws.
I figured if I connected the joints off the wall it would be able to hide them well and get the tightest fit. That was a correct assertion. One of the joints I had problems with and is visible but the other is barely visible.. take a look:

Here is the overall look.. the theater is a bit more warm feeling now.. 

I did goof on the rear right corner... somehow I managed to cut the crown 1/4 inch too short. I was able to hide it well but not before accidentally ripping down the rear crown and backer in the process. I was able to get the backer back up nice and tight and then position the crown to hide the 1/2 inch gap. You cant really see this mistake unless you stand underneath it and look up at the 1/2" gap between the crown and the wall. I guess I can caulk it, putty it, or stuff wood in it so that light doesn't show through.

I also goofed on the little 90 degree crown stops that meet at the projector. I realized after breaking 4 or 5 of those little crowns that they were too thin for brads. I eventually ended up gluing the left one on for a perfect fit, and the right one I was able to nail in the right locations but with a slight gap in the upper corner. I did notice it is halfway cracked but not visible so I might just leave it alone until it breaks then cut another and glue that one on as well.

post #143 of 220 Old 08-11-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I played around with my RGB lights for the 1st time in forever. I'm looking for a Rube Goldberg collection of parts to dim these without shelling out bills for a Lutron DMX controller because I would love to have color changing led's in my light tray. I think I "may" have found something that might work to dim these called a 0-10v PWM 3 channel dimmer which would sit in between the led controller and the lights. Now I just need to find a 0-10v module for the Grafik Eye. I would change the color with the led controller's remote and dim the lights using the Grafik Eye.

Of course if it doesnt work out I will just go with my single color blue leds which dim just fine on a zone without any extra Lutron modules.

If anyone has figured out how to do this without DMX let me know!

post #144 of 220 Old 08-12-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I downloaded a few apps that help you to visualize colors.
which apps?

Media Room: Onkyo NR-709 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
Den: Samsung 59D6500 Plasma & Monoprice in-walls
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC1(LR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
HTPC2(BR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i3 2105, Radeon 6770
post #145 of 220 Old 08-12-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
which apps?
I used Paint Harmony and Behr ColorSmart. They allow you to paint the walls of real pictures of rooms to see what the color would look like in different settings.

post #146 of 220 Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Starting to finish out the pony wall bar.
I have no clue what I'm doing but looks OK so far.

post #147 of 220 Old 08-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

whats the height of that bar? looks really tall in the pictures.
post #148 of 220 Old 08-20-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
whats the height of that bar? looks really tall in the pictures.
The bar is a standard height(I believe) at approx. 42 inches. The countertop will be set lower at 36 inches. I'm planning for a 1.5 inch countertop, likely made out of laminate/particleboard. I'm trying to finish trimming it out this weekend and figure out whether I need to cut and shape my own particleboard or if thats something the big box stores will do for me.

post #149 of 220 Old 08-20-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

So... I went to an AMC theater this weekend. It was redesigned since the last time I been there. It looks like they are trying to compete with home theaters! Its was GREAT! The seating was electric red leather recliners. Each row had about 8-10 feet between so you could recline all the way back and nobody would have any problem walking through the aisle in front of you. They also ditched the stadium seating. Everyone was on the same level but the screen was a little bit higher. The guy next to us was taking pictures of his feet fully reclined! I dont get out much lately so maybe alot of theaters are doing this now... but this was definitely a treat.

post #150 of 220 Old 08-21-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I went out and bought particle board today. Had big orange cut it for me. I made the appropriate cuts notching out and curving the edges to wrap around the sides of the bar. I plan to laminate the countertop with a black marble laminate and stain all of the oak surfaces. Here's a few pics of the test fit.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page