Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 165 Old 08-22-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Looking good!

How often do you work on it? You seem to be making good and consistent progress. I like this thread because it's updated often, not stuck in mud. And, it seems to fly under radar so there isn't a bazillion side comments and discussions mucking it up. It's all business .
ckronengold likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."

Last edited by Mfusick; 08-22-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 165 Old 08-22-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Looking good!

How often do you work on it? You seem to be making good and consistent progress. I like this thread because it's updated often, not stuck in mud. And, it seems to fly under radar so there isn't a bazillion side comments and discussions mucking it up. It's all business .
Thanks! I'm usually working on the build on Saturdays. I took yesterday and today off to run errands, relax, and sneak in a little build time. All business now because I want more play time later when the work is done. [emoji41]

My First Build Ever (which just so happens to be a theater!) (In progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #153 of 165 Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

I created a beveled top rail and added it to the top of the bar.

I'm happy with the look so far. I'm going for a more contemporary look than a traditional one. I guess I like mitre cuts.

Starting to turn my attention to the in wall build out behind the other bar.

Here is the look I am planning to achieve but imagine it in a cabernet stained oak and only 7-8 inches deep:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #154 of 165 Old 08-24-2014, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
I really like the connection panel there but is there a way to conceal it when it's not in use? If it's not an issue/concern for you then disregard.

post #155 of 165 Old 08-24-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
I really like the connection panel there but is there a way to conceal it when it's not in use? If it's not an issue/concern for you then disregard.
Good question. I researched this when I first installed the same panel in the floor of the riser

I wasn't able to find a pre made solution to cover it. I guess I could always fabricate a cover out of a wooden blank plate. Is there a better solution?

post #156 of 165 Old 08-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Is there a better solution?

I was hoping you knew because I want to do something similar

post #157 of 165 Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

I love getting big orange to do my cuts for me. It saves so much time. Not to mention makes it much easier to load pre cut pieces into the explorer as opposed to a huge 4x8 foot sheet of wood. I got started on the in wall cabinet today. So far I've lined the wall in oak ply. I decided against doing a DVD shelf to the far left because I thought it wouldn't look symmetrical. However after tacking and glue I realized I forgot to add another stud to strengthen the plywood. If you lean on it it caves in a little. So I think to solve that problem I'm gonna go ahead and cut out the ply and move forward with the original plan for the DVD rack. Ha! Besides big orange already cut the shelves for me. I just need to make cabinets out of them. [emoji4]
Here's a pic of my plan

And here's what I've gotten done

post #158 of 165 Old 09-01-2014, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Cut out for the DVD shelving.

Still researching different styles of framing to hide the visible joints...
Mfusick likes this.

post #159 of 165 Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Update on the rgb led strip dimming. The pwm module I received will actually not work the way I thought it would. I guess the customer support didn't really understand what I was trying to do but pretended to. At any rate I've been researching RS232 specs for the Grafik eye as well as the Arduino microcontroller. I believe with a little bit of code and only a few $$ I should be able to dim RGB Led strips with the Grafik eye based on any zone. I'm a programmer by trade and hobby so this should be a very cool post build project!

Last edited by quamosa; 09-01-2014 at 09:28 AM.
post #160 of 165 Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have 2 in wall satellite speakers and in wall sub for the pool table, another set of the same for the flat screen, another set in the bathroom, and also in the very last room in the back. I'll need volume controls and ab switches for these things as well as a multi-zone amp. I got all the smurf tubes and speaker wires run. Just need to install the speakers and get another amp to run all of them. Not sure of the most economical way to do this yet. If anyone has any ideas let me know.
Update on this. On Friday I scored a used 4 source 4 zone amp for $100 shipped on eBay! Its coming with 2 remote controls and 4 double gang backlit lcd keypads. Only catch is that I installed single gang smurf tube boxes that screw into the front of the stud for the volume controls. Will have to cut out the drywall and retrofit these keypads somehow. Regardless im super siced about this. Another post build project on the books... muhuhahah!

post #161 of 165 Old 09-04-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

This is my in wall "built in" design. I hope to have the wall behind the bar looking like this after getting a good start on the shelving this weekend.

Not sure yet if I will build 4 doors for the bottom 4 spaces or just 2 doors for the 2 bottommost spaces.

post #162 of 165 Old 09-07-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Took me all day yesterday to cut all the wood for the shelves.

At the end of the day I was able to put together the DVD shelves but realized my measurements were too perfect. 2 of the shelves were off by a 16th of an inch which caused me to have to shove the DVDs in... no bueno. So then I took apart the shelves remeasured to give each section another inch of space. I put everything back together filling the old screw holes with wood filler. Once I stood the shelving up on the floor I realized it was leaning to one side. WTH. Heres a pic of the dry fit.

I'll need to fine tune 3 of the shelves which go slightly out of level when the shelving is straightened out in the wall.

post #163 of 165 Old 09-14-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Finally got the shelves built. Note to self: measure interior of in wall space not just the exterior. I ended up taking apart and shortening the width of one of the cabinets twice and another one once. Wasted time with that so I didn't meet my goal for the day. I still need to edge band the dvd shelves and the top 3 big shelves and attach a sill plate to them. Because of that, those shelves are all dry fit for now.

Eventually I'll be putting a door in front of the waste pipe and the other 3 small shelves as well.

post #164 of 165 Old 09-14-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 821
I like it!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #165 of 165 Old 09-14-2014, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Still learning as I go. I'll definitely need to up my wood staining game pronto.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page