My First Build Ever - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 338 Old 10-17-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
what's the bar surface going to be?
I'm looking at the wilsonart laminates. I ordered a handful or grey/black stone samples to make my final decision. I'm partial to the dark gray stone look for this build.

My First Build Ever in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 338 Old 10-17-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
I'm looking at the wilsonart laminates. I ordered a handful or grey/black stone samples to make my final decision. I'm partial to the dark gray stone look for this build.
sounds great - can't wait to see it.
post #183 of 338 Old 10-19-2014, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

As I wait for my laminate samples and remaining sconces to come in I took care of some loose ends. Small lingering tasks such as adjusting leveling the halfwall countertop as it was slightly out of level. I also routed cut and glued in a final piece of trim to the back of the half wall.

I routed and cut some oak to trim out the av rack.

I spray painted the reveal on the rack with a glossy primer black to give it a nice touch. Eventually I plan to sand and paint all of the rack surfaces with this stuff it looks great. I used blue tape and brads to attach the trim.

I originally planned on red paneling for acoustics and aesthetics but I've now changed the color to amethyst. Its the 2nd color down on the left which looks grey but has slight specks of red and blue in it. It complements the colors I have as well as the grey carpet I plan to go with.

post #184 of 338 Old 10-20-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
looks pretty good for your first built ever! whats the seating going to look like?

-Dave C

Owner/Operator of HT Install NJ
Specializing in NJ TV installation
Email Me at dave@njtvinstallations.com
post #185 of 338 Old 10-20-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTINSTALLNJ View Post
looks pretty good for your first built ever! whats the seating going to look like?
Thanks! Well I currently have a 3 seater and a love seat set in black leather. My sister gave them to me a year ago and I didnt have a place for them so I put them down in the basement. I will use these for now until I can justify the cost of new seating. I have a feeling I'll be upgrading speakers at some point soon so I better hold off.

The width of my room is just a foot too short! I only have about 75" inches of width on my riser and in the front row. I would love to go with two rows of 3 and also be able to convert between a sofa and theater seat. The best compromise I could find is the Seatcraft Rialto. Its width in a row of 2 is 74 inches. I get the best of both worlds with this seating and it would fit perfectly in both my first and second row.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rialto_couch_mode.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	322041   Click image for larger version

Name:	rialto_feet_out.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	322049  

post #186 of 338 Old 10-20-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I wouldn't sell the sofa option short, especially a recliner. Ours has seen a good deal of illness recovery, sleep over guests, mid-movie snuggling and on rare occasions considerably more. All things that would be impossible or at least uncomfortable in theater seating.
jokerrn likes this.
post #187 of 338 Old 10-20-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
mid-movie snuggling and on rare occasions considerably more.
ok TMI and

WOO WOO!!!
post #188 of 338 Old 10-20-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
ok TMI and

WOO WOO!!!
LOL I'm sure we will get a lot of frequent flyer miles out of the couches before they get handed down. Hopefully not much mile high club miles though.

I do like how the seatcraft model allows you to convert to couch mode so you can sit close for rom com nights and then flip the armrest down for football games with the buddies.

Last edited by quamosa; 10-21-2014 at 07:02 AM.
post #189 of 338 Old 10-22-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
LOL I'm sure we will get a lot of frequent flyer miles out of the couches before they get handed down. Hopefully not much mile high club miles though.

I do like how the seatcraft model allows you to convert to couch mode so you can sit close for rom com nights and then flip the armrest down for football games with the buddies.
So I got the rest of my sconces in. I goofed and accidentally ordered 1 more sconce than I needed. This extra came in handy because I ended up CRACKING the last of the installed sconces when I was SLIGHTLY adjusting the glass cover! DOH!! They were only 30 bux a pop but still!

Here's the aftermath.. the walls aren't really that purple.. I need a real camera and real light.

post #190 of 338 Old 10-26-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

I swapped out the column power outlets for black outlets. The columns are 3/4 inch thick so I needed to use 3/4 inch spacers to bring the outlets flush. Some of my outlets were actually inset into the wall half an inch so I actually need an adjustable spacer. I picked up a few of the adjustable type but then put them back and got the regular 3/4 inch ones DOH.

I bought a 6 pack of wooden outlet covers. I don't believe they are oak. I wanted oak to match the columns. I may order some oak covers if I don't like the look after they are stained.

Dry fit

This is after about 5 coats of the stain. I think this will match the columns OK.

I'll add 3 coats of poly over the next few days and then install.

Last edited by quamosa; 10-26-2014 at 09:46 PM.
post #191 of 338 Old 10-26-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

I've been practicing with different stain types hoping to find a good deep even stain for the half wall bar, the rear bar, and the built in cabinets. This is after 2 coats using a gel stain for vertical surfaces.

The color is nice its mahogany but not dark enough on the early wood part of the oak. The second coat doesn't even seem any darker than the first. I believe a good dye will get me what I'm looking for but I have also found that I may be able to work with an Old Masters Gel stain and get that deep rich color I'm looking for. I'm thinking they might have a dye mixed in with their gel stain. I'm going to order a batch and play around with it as well as maybe some wood conditioner for good measure. I really want the wood work to look nice so I'm willing to take some time on finding a stain and staining process that I like.

post #192 of 338 Old 10-27-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 1559
Wait for it to dry 24 hours. Then re examine.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #193 of 338 Old 10-27-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Wait for it to dry 24 hours. Then re examine.
I waited 24 hours before applying the second coat on the samples I showed above. The first coat looks nice on its own just not as deep and rich as the picture on the label. My only few guesses as to what happened are:

1) the color just isnt a dark enough color to begin with (I only had 3 color choices in gel at the local despot)
2) the first coat sealed the pores enough that no more stain could be absorbed
3) I didnt sand the wood at all (not sure this wouldve made too much of a difference)

I'm thinking a darker stain or dye would be more what I'm looking for when working with the large oak surfaces I have to cover.
As a first timer I'm thinking a gel dye would be easier for me to cover a large vertical surface and have an even look throughout than a dye.

However, the outlet covers above did get noticeably darker after waiting 24 hours to re-stain, but I dont like the look of the wood and it doesnt match the oak columns. I can live with it for now...

Last edited by quamosa; 10-27-2014 at 07:35 AM.
post #194 of 338 Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

I like this look achieved with the old masters in mahogany and on maple, I'm hoping to get something "similar" with oak:

post #195 of 338 Old 10-30-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. That is some nice stain. The color really took on that light colored wood. I have given up on the standard consumer Home Depot Minwax whatever stain and gone to dye, but the Old Masters definitely looks worth a try. Love the color.
quamosa likes this.
post #196 of 338 Old 10-31-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

I had the Old Masters ordered early this week but I found out a few days later it was back ordered so I cancelled the order and ordered it somewhere else. It was shipped today so hopefully I can get to play with it early next week. I'm not exactly sure of the color used there. I believe its either red mahogany or rich mahogany. I went with their deep red rich mahogany. I am going to be staining vertical surfaces and huge ones at that... built-in and 2 bars so I believe it would be best for me to go with a gel stain. I'll need it to stay wet long enough and not drip. Also with such large surfaces I want to make sure the color is even. i'm hoping to get enough color with just one coat of stain as the samples above but we'll see. I'll be staining a bunch of solid oak samples to find out.

post #197 of 338 Old 10-31-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I've been looking at laminate samples. I've decided on the huge black one below. It has the Wilsonart 3d texture which looks kinda cool. Its also a glossy finish. I placed all of the samples against a piece of oak ply that I stained in the same color as the columns.

post #198 of 338 Old 10-31-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

I finished up the wooden outlet covers and installed them to the columns. Some of the spacers I used were still not enough to bring the outlets flush. So I went back and picked up adjustable spacers which are exactly what I needed.

Also I finally got around to painting the back ceiling black and touching up nicks and scratches throughout the theater.

I'll have to touch up the soffit here a bit tomorrow. I bought one of those plastic edge painter things. I dont really recommend them. As you can see the paint drips down off the edge if its too thick and the paint ends up sticking to the edge painter's edge which then ends up on the side of the wall you DIDNT want to paint. I also had a tough time figuring out how much paint to put on the edge painter. Too little and it wont glide across the surface you are painting. Too much and it drips. Next time I will go back to just using plain old fasioned blue tape.

post #199 of 338 Old 11-06-2014, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

I received both the Old Masters penetrating stain and the gel stain today and was able to get a 1st coat down on some scrap plywood and oak board. I can say that I really like the color of this stain. I think it just may work with the color scheme of the theater.

In the picture, the left of the plywood square is penetrating stain and the right is the gel stain. The top half of the oak board is gel and the bottom is penetrating stain. On the oak board I can't really tell any difference between the two stain types however the ply seemed to take the penetrating stain more deeply. I'll put down a second coat of the stains tomorrow evening to see if I could get an even more deep and rich color. The process I nail down here will be the process I follow to stain the bars and built in.

post #200 of 338 Old 11-06-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking good!
quamosa likes this.
post #201 of 338 Old 11-12-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

So I tried another staining experiment last night. I wondered what would happen if I added another coat of penetrating stain to the gel stain and vice versa. I also tried adding another coat of gel on gel. The results were dramatic. The resulting colors in each experiment were at least twice as dark as the previous. Finally.

Mixing the stain types creates a super deep tone. I'll remember this for any future staining projects.

The gel on gel is the little horizontal strip on the right center of the plywood square. My only guess as to why so much stain took on this gel coat is that its been at least a week since the last coat. The stain probably needed more than 24 hours to dry. My next test is to find out many days each coat needs to dry in order to get a deeper second coat. I'll start from scratch and wait 2 days before adding a second coat of gel on gel and see what happens.

In the meanwhile I've been cleaning up the floor space of the basement to make room for painting as well as patching up gaps in the built in and bar with wood putty.

post #202 of 338 Old 11-14-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

I'm on day 2 of my final stain test.
I'll be adding in a second coat tonight after waiting 48 hours to see if I get a darker color than waiting 24 hours.
After this test I'll be pretty confident staining the bars and built-in.

Right now my process is looking at 2 coats of gel stain, waiting 5 minutes before wiping down.

I put down at least 2 layers of wood putty to fill in any small gaps I had in the bar and built-in. I used blue tape in many of the puttied locations to cut down on the overflow of putty that I would need to sand off. That turned out pretty well.

This weekend I plan to sand down all the puttied areas and then all of the bar and built-in surfaces to prepare for staining.
Hopefully I can get at least 1 coat of stain down starting the following weekend.

I'll also be looking at ordering the laminate and possibly laminating the half wall bar top.

post #203 of 338 Old 11-16-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Finished patching and sanding the built in wall cabinets and its now just about ready for a 1st coat of stain. Can't wait to get started.

My stain test for adding a second coat after 2 days did not show any change in color. However adding a second coat after 3 days showed a very obvious darkening of the color. Im going to see if 4 days wait provides even better results. I can at least say that I can get a deep rich color by waiting 3 days or more before adding a second coat.

The left oak board has 3 horizontal strips of stain. Starting from the top strip I waited 24 hours, then 48, then 72 hours of waiting to apply the second coat. The 3rd strip is the only second coat of stain that showed any improvement of color by far.

post #204 of 338 Old 11-21-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Update on staining. I added a 4th strip of stain for 96 hours drying time and didn't get any improvement of color so I'm sticking with 72 hours wait for a second coat. I found a local retailer for the old masters stain so I will swing by during lunch today. I'm also contemplating getting a clear wood filler to create a smooth finish. Hope to start a first coat of stain tomorrow for the built in.

post #205 of 338 Old 11-22-2014, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

I revived my old fat PS3 by taking it apart and coating the heatsinks with that silver paste. Hopefully it lasts this time. Its been alive for 4 days and counting. I ran it all day today in the theater as I worked and the fan seemed to cut on and off at times so I think its getting cooled adequately. The fan used to run non stop like a jet turbine. My kids get to keep the PS3 slim and for now I have a new addition to my rack. =)

post #206 of 338 Old 11-22-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I stained the built in today. It looks awesome. I can just sit and stare at it like a lunatic. The stain is so deep and rich (hence the name) that I'm not even considering a second coat. It also dried so fast and dark that I had to come back and wipe one part with mineral spirits to lighten it up. I pretty much had to stain a few small sections then wipe and repeat that process until completed. It took me 3 hours. The pics do t do it justice. It looks more brown in real life than the red shown in the pic.

JRock3x8, hltr, jokerrn and 1 others like this.

post #207 of 338 Old 11-22-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I stained the built in today. It looks awesome.
Agreed!
post #208 of 338 Old 11-24-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

post #209 of 338 Old 11-24-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Staining the built in was an experience. Essentially everything I learned while staining the test chips went right out the window. I also had a few goofs along the way. I missed a few spots sanding which showed up as scratches and white spots when stained. I think the white spots may have been glue that was dried and became invisible after the first sanding. Also the third cabinet on the right wall corner is just a bit out of level. I had problems leveling it out for some strange reason.

post #210 of 338 Old 11-24-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to see if the funds are available to order the laminate for the half wall bar as I would like to get it laminated before staining the bar. I'll also wait a few days then start polying the built in.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com