Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 226 Old 11-24-2014, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
I stained the built in today. It looks awesome. I can just sit and stare at it like a lunatic. The stain is so deep and rich (hence the name) that I'm not even considering a second coat. It also dried so fast and dark that I had to come back and wipe one part with mineral spirits to lighten it up. I pretty much had to stain a few small sections then wipe and repeat that process until completed. It took me 3 hours. The pics do t do it justice. It looks more brown in real life than the red shown in the pic.

Nice work!!

Well worth the experiments to find the right color even though you had to tweak the staining process real time, doubt anyone would know that but you until you spilled the beans

My in progress build thread: Hidden in Bethesda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 226 Old 11-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 44
this is why I can't do my own work - I can't bear to be in the room with my own mistakes - drives me nuts.
post #213 of 226 Old 11-25-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe88 View Post
Nice work!!

Well worth the experiments to find the right color even though you had to tweak the staining process real time, doubt anyone would know that but you until you spilled the beans
Thanks! Funny how you can plan the heck out of something then you get thrown a curve ball and have to improvise on the spot. I keep the frustration inside during, then spill the beans afterwards so I can start the healing process.

My First Build Ever in progress
post #214 of 226 Old 11-25-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
this is why I can't do my own work - I can't bear to be in the room with my own mistakes - drives me nuts.
You aren't lying. This project is teaching me to let go of perfection but at the same time its perfecting the art of patience! Most if not all of my goofs can be traced back to a lack of patience somewhere in my planning and execution.

post #215 of 226 Old 11-25-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Agreed!
Going the aniline dye route made me nervous. I'm glad to have found an alternative. This will be my go to stain for any future projects.

post #216 of 226 Old 11-25-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Got started on the rear bar countertop.
My plan called for a curve on the end the of the bar. Instead of Rube Goldberg ing a fancy tool to draw the curve. I used this... my fan cover.

I positioned it where I wanted the curve, traced with a pencil and viola. I cut the curve with my router and positioned the countertop with a 3/4" overhang on the back and side and a 9" overhang in the front.

I countersunk one 2" deck screw and it seems to be pretty sturdy but I wouldn't sit on it just yet. My plan is to add a screw every few inches for strength. I don't want to use corbels. I am going to cut another piece of particle board using the current one as a stencil. Then I will laminate the top board then glue and screw it to the board that is secured to the bar wall. Finally I will glue on the trim laminate around the edges of the countertop.
Jonny5nz and Swervepf like this.

post #217 of 226 Old 12-01-2014, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

I've been looking for an affordable IR extender solution here and there on and off for at least a year. I happened to randomly stumble upon 2 threads here that leaned in favor of the Xsight Touch. I ended up finding a "nused" one including the RF hub for $40 shipped which to me is a great value so I pulled the trigger on it. I also purchased a sheet of WilsonArt Luna laminate so I can get my bar tops started. I should be getting the Xsight before the end of the week so I can get it set up and play with it a little down in the theater.

My plans for the upcoming holiday:

1) laminate the bar tops and router them to create a channel to mount the tape lights
2) stain the half wall bar
3) poly the built in and half wall
4) re-stain the rear bar and apply trim
5) install rear bar top

For 2015:

Theater room
1) install and finish bar cabinets
2) laminate and install bar countertops
3) install bar sink and mini fridge
4) install base trim on all walls
5) install doors (1 solid core double door, 1 solid core single door and 1 regular hollow door for the av rack closet)
6) build and install screen wall GOM panels and panels for projector soffit enclosure
7) install vinyl planks in bar area
8) install 3 pendant lights over bar
9) install stone veneer panels on bar wall behind sink
10) connect return air vent to a/c system
11) build and install wall absorption panels
12) CARPET!

Rec room
1) paint all walls
2) install base trim
3) clean and seal basement floor
4) tile bathroom floor
5) install toilet and vanity
6) run cat6 and a pair of speaker cables to all 3 satellite speaker locations
7) convert 3 already installed single gang boxes to double gang so I can mount zone controllers for the satellite speakers
8) finish installing in wall satellite speakers
9) add 2 air vent returns (upper and lower)
10) install vinyl planks in pool table area
11) install pendant lights over pool table
12) purchase/install flat screen
13) install stone veneer panel behind flat screen
14) install on wall fireplace on opposite wall
15) install stone veneer panel on opposite wall
16) CARPET!

Future:
1) UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE!
2) theater seating/couch
3) star ceiling
4) new speakers
5) new screen
6) new amps
7) extended AV Rack to fit the new amps

I feel like I'm so close but yet so far from the finish line!!

Last edited by quamosa; 12-01-2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Forgot carpet!
post #218 of 226 Old 12-07-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Not much progress this weekend. The xsight touch didn't get shipped out until yesterday and the wilsonart laminate didn't ship until yesterday either. I spent a couple hours yesterday with my work light sanding off some stain unevenness and restaining on the built in. Probably stuff only I would notice so no pics.

post #219 of 226 Old 12-10-2014, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Blower on the xsight touch. Apparently it got lost. Haven't received it yet so the seller refunded my money. Seller says if it shows up then Merry Christmas! Ha. Oh well I'll wait until Friday then try to find another on eBay.

On the bright side I got the laminate in yesterday. Planning on laminating the countertops this weekend.

post #220 of 226 Old 12-17-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

The kids and myself got knocked out this past week and weekend by a virus so didnt get any work done. I did however get a couple Xsight Touch remotes and an RF extender. I've tinkered with the remote a little via EZ-RC and RM-IR. I like having multiple ways to configure it. One weird thing though is that the remotes have two different hues of blue backlighting and one's keys have a click to it and the other doesnt. Ah well they both work so no biggie. I'll need to find an 8 foot extension cable so I can get one of the IR sensors to reach the projector from the AV Rack.

I modified the vinyl floor layout a tad in both the rec room and the bars of the theater room and added stone paneling on the walls in both areas.

The in laws are having a family Christmas party this weekend but I'm gonna have to skip it if I am ever going to get any more work done before the holidays. Besides I'll be seeing them again on Christmas day. I really want to knock out both bars, laminated, stained, and sealed and still have time for my own family left over.

post #221 of 226 Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Got a good start on some of the remaining items on my TODO list for the end of the year.

I realized just before opening the contact cement that it should not be used near open flame! So I moved my work from the basement to the garage and set up a makeshift workbench lol.

Curving the laminate around these 2 curves was not easy. I broke a few pieces and threatened to quit trying to do it myself before hitting it with a blow dryer like forever. Worked well. I couldnt bend it to reach the end of the curve and I didnt want to break the laminate so I filled the void with wood expoxy. Worked like a charm.

Fixed.

Success!

Dry fit time!
After sanding away a smidge of wood on both sides of the half wall... success!

The countertop is quite sturdy and is supported very well. I plan to use small L brackets hidden in a few places to screw it down securely but I think its so secure that I could leave it as is. It aint going nowhere. I cant even press down on it.

post #222 of 226 Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

I got a replacement sheet of plywood for the rear bar and stained it. I realized after it was too late that it had a repeating pattern on the "good" side. Yuk. Oh well.. its done. I plan to poly it tomorrow with this triple thick semi gloss varnish I got that only needs 1-2 coats. After that I will glue it to the bar.

post #223 of 226 Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

I got the RF extender set up in the basement. Easy peasy as they say. I created a few activities which turn on the AVR, Projector, and the cable box as well as turn them all of. Works pretty well. I got a stereo 3.5mm extension for the IR transmitter and ran it to the projector. The transmitter is sitting on top of the projector, not glued to the projector's IR sensor and it transmits the signal well from that location.

I cant wait to suck all this dust out of that basement!

post #224 of 226 Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

I also worked on the bar counter top as well.
In this pic you can see that I cut out a mounting plate from the countertop and routed a space for the tape lights.

The is the half wall bar with routed space for tape lights.

Almost there...

Success!

I spray painted the bottom of the countertops a glossy black... just because. I dont like to see the look of particle board under a nice laminated counter top. I think the black would look much better for those snooping around under there.

I made the mounting plate for the bar countertop so that I could laminate the countertop and its 2 visible sides before mounting it to the wall. Worked out well. Tomorrow I'll be screwing down the mounting plate and then sliding the bar top over it to dry fit.

post #225 of 226 Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

In the process of designing a poor mans tower out of my front Left and Right in wall speakers to put them up about 40 inches or so at either side of the screen with slight toe in. I[m pretty sure the woofers will be somewhat blocked by the screen but I will try to squeeze them in there. Somebody stop me!

post #226 of 226 Old Today, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Few more updates. I've gotten a lot done in the past 4 days. 2015 will be a good year.

I finally got around to staining the half wall. I'll be cleaning the glue off the countertops this evening in the garage and hopefully install the bar top soon after. This weekend I plan to poly the built in and half wall, install the countertop for it, take a few pics, and then call it a year.
2014 was huge for this project but 2015 will be a year to remember.

Now for the pictures, that's what we really want isn't it? Less spit more pics ☺

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page