The Little Basement That Could - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello AVS'ers! I have just completed the move to a new house, well.. my first house. It's not exactly new, and the basement is small-ish, but it will definitely do!

Attached are some pictures of the space I will be working in, my idea currently is to build a false wall along the right side where the utilities are to block out sound, and also trap and reflect sound in the theater room rather than letting it run in the other portion if the basement. For this, I started a AVS thread asking for ideas, and there were quite a few!:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1481109/false-wall-home-theater-and-what-could-happen#post_23535565

I decided that I will more than likely use the suggestions in post #12 for the wall. The plan is to either enter the room from the end where the stairs are, or at the front right of the basement where the right side of the projector will be. This would allow me to wall off the back of the room where the projector is, and not have to worry about stairs and the awkwardness of sound treating a wall with them on it. Any ideas are welcome, and I hope you guys enjoy this thread! I'll be posting picture and text updates as they come. :wave:

Equipment:

-Audio

-1x Polk Blackstone (Center) "Upgrading to Arx A2C"
-2x Arx A5 Tower's (FLR)
-4x Polk Satellites (Surrounds) "Upgrading to Arx A1B"

-AVR

-Onkyo TX-NR809 "125w/ch"
-BRD
-PS3 2nd Generation
-PJ
- Benq W7000
-Screen
- 106" cheapobrand.

Here is the album with photo's, I'll figure out how to properly upload images here next time:

http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/slansing1991/library/The%20Little%20Basement%20That%20Could?sort=3&page=1

smile.gif
BufordTJustice likes this.

Follow my Home Theater build here!:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
just a heads up you might want to start by providing more info and goals with specific questions. Size of the room, budget, goals, etc.

Theres plenty of examples of your ideas too. I did a similiar thing, my build is on my signature block. I put a wall on the stair side to block more sound and moved the door around to the side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

I'll take a look in a bit! That will be what I am going to do then, I will post dimensions, images and goals tonight after work.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-17-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Dimensions will be 16(L)x11(W)x7(H), about to do wall measurements for the plywood!

post #5 of 12 Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Started the wall framing! Hopefully these pictures will help visualize what I am doing, unfortunately one of the 2x4's was warped in a twisted fashion frown.gif I'll have to figure that one out, being 21 this is my first time really doing any of this! ...Have been sitting here forb15 minutes trying to upload these pictures, you have no idea how hard it is to do this via a mobile phone.

post #6 of 12 Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Update, crude drawing done in DraftSight while I get used to it. Dimensions, and basic plans.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 359
You're 21, own a house and are building a HT?? That, my friend, is quite an accomplishment! Congrats...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #8 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Why thank you very much! Don't own, rather rent, but I pay more in rent than I would for a mortgage so...meh smile.gif Thank's for the support! Had to saw out a beam in the basement on the stairs today to fit one of the seats down. About to get to work on the theater room for the day.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slansing View Post

Had to saw out a beam in the basement on the stairs today to fit one of the seats down.

Don't know what to think about this one. I would be careful before you start sawing beams in the basement. You probably know what you're doing, but I'd thought I'd mention it.

I think it's past time to upgrade my equipment and my room.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Got it out, that was a hellish journey, but we got the seat down.

Stage one is complete, after a full day's work throwing up the plywood walls. Got almost all of it up, need to finish the gaps in the ceiling and close one side off, but it's time to relax with Oceans 11 and the Girlfriend "who slept all day...." Thankfully my father stopped by and helped!

Rear view:

Front view:

Walls:

Acoustically and visually it's already very noticeably different, can't imagine what it will be like after it's all closed off and I have panels and traps up!

post #11 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

New overlay image, reflecting the changes that had to be made to make the walls work, darned water heater...

post #12 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It's been a few months, any progress good sir? biggrin.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Onkyo Tx Nr809
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page