Introduction and first few questions for 555sqft theater/ entertainment room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi my name is Joel and I have been a intermittent lurker over the last 6 yrs or so. Firstly Thank you to all forum members. Its a huge blessing to have such a robust community of like minded individuals who are so generous with their knowledge advice and project documentation.

I have a room in my home that I am now planning to convert to a theater / entertainment room. As stated its 555sqft with 10 foot ceilings. so 5550 cubic.

Thus far the final outcome will hopefully include a projector with 100% black velvet screen wall with AT screen ( screen as large as is feasable). Would like CIH with DIY scope screen so thinking maybe Panasonic ae8000,( but will also consider epson 6020 or sony hw-50 depending) and 5.2 or 7.2 audio. I currently own av1235 5.1 with rs760 signature fronts, bigfoot center channel and rs150 rears on stands.. I do 70% movies 10% concert videos and 20% music.My current subwoofage is a RBH 1010sep. I do plan on adding 2 DIY 18" sealed subs with DaytonHO's or stereo integrity drivers with inuke3000 or similar outboard amplification. I plan on upgrading to a new reciver hopefully keeping it about the 1K range for that expenditure. Hope to run the LCR/SRROUNDS off of reciever, but understand more power may be required. I plan on room treatment such as corner base traps behind screen wall deadening of entire wall behind screen and some panels along other walls with intermittent spacing of untreated wall and absortion panels. Room cieling will be painted black and walls are currently a beige which is neither light nor dark. I plan on Black out blinds and heavy curtains but tend to watch movies at night anyway. And at times will entertain with lights on but without much concern over washed out image in those circumstances.

At this stage I have a few questions that some of you may hopefully be kind enough to help me with.

1. Are there any tried and true resources in book e/book form available for the aspiring Home theater geek.. I know AVS just did an e book but its $50 bucks and I dont now how good it is . ( need to research it more) are there any others worth checking out?

2. How to determine orientation of my room. As you can see below. There is an image done with graph paper each square representing 1 sqft. in it I have a sectional couch ( will get eventually upgraded to theater seating)facing toward west wall . That wall is recessed on one side and seemed like a good choice when I did the layout ( a few years ago) for AT screen. At This point I am unsure of that orientation. Perhaps the screen wall should be the north (upper) wall. It does have two 4 x 6 windows but I could seal those off if need be behind screen wall. It would be great to eventually fit 2 rows of seating on a riser but that is not a necessity. There is a bar counter on southern wall. A window and 6 ft slider on west wall so these persent challenges for layout. What would be the pros/cons of west wall for screen wall or north wall for screen wall with regard to sound quality, projector mounting options, seating etc.

Image of genreal dimensions
ttmx.jpg

image of one possibble orientation of seating
46bf.jpg

building plans showing layout of room windows etc..
9bn7.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joel.

Sony HW50ES | Denon X4000 | Rocket RS850s | Rocket RS200 | Rocket RS750s | Rocket RS250s | Quad Stereo integrity 18" d4 sealed subs | Inuke nu46000 | MiniDSP | Oppo 103D

My Build http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510721/the-bass-for-the-98-diy-build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-18-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

btt:)

Sony HW50ES | Denon X4000 | Rocket RS850s | Rocket RS200 | Rocket RS750s | Rocket RS250s | Quad Stereo integrity 18" d4 sealed subs | Inuke nu46000 | MiniDSP | Oppo 103D

post #3 of 5 Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I've only heard of Warren's ebook. Since most of the sources he used are documented here, you can expect his recommendations to be solid. I think it may have fewer details than some (myself) might want - but that's to be expected. No single book can prepare you to engineer and build a complete theater. That said, I doubt you'll find a single resource more complete, but that's conjecture since I'm not aware of similar resources.

Generally, acoustics work better when viewing along the longer dimension of the room. The surround effects are better when you get some space between the listeners and the walls. It also can be easier to generate impressions of ambiance and envelopment.

The other thing to consider is symmetry; especially in the front soundstage and the walls in front of the seating.

I would encourage you to use the north wall for your screen. It's a shame about the windows, but sealing/hiding them can only help the technical performance of the projection system.

Fred
post #4 of 5 Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I have accepted that if there is great benefit to having the speakers set up so that viewing is along the longest dimension then I am prepared to seal up those windows. With regards to light infiltration I am less concerned but do see clearly the benefit there if other factors also lean that way. Would the projector be limited in its placement by either orientation and the effects on audio quality are prime concerns for me up to this point.

post #5 of 5 Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I think the audio advantages are enough to settle on the north wall. The west wall only poses problems for projection if you choose a projector with an exceptionally long throw. Generally, projectors that need more than 20' are the ultra high-end (though I may be wrong about that in certain cases) - most normal projectors will be happy with a 14-18' throw, which you could accomplish along either room axis.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page