Riser In The Middle Of The Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-22-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've done a lot of reading about risers on this forum and I have a few questions about putting a riser in the middle of a room. We just recently moved to a new home that had a large room finished in the basement (22' x 32') Luckily, Mrs. Sojodave allowed me to take the biggest room in the home for my Home Theater:D. I put in-wall speakers on the side and in-ceiling speakers in the rear. I bought a Benq W1070 projector with a 100" diagonal motorized screen. Of course all of this was installed before we unpacked everything because you have to your priorities...smile.gif

I have a large sectional for my seating and I want to install a riser behind the sectional. The riser would be about 13' from the screen and about 6' from left wall and about 8' from the right wall. According to the riser calculator, I need it to be at least 7" high, but I'm thinking 10 or 12". I'm thinking of a riser that is 6 X 8 with a sofa on top. I'm thinking of building a bar behind the riser so no one steps off the back and brakes a leg. I don't think it's possible to run any electrical outlets or lighting because it's in the middle of the room.

Here are my questions...
  • Is building the riser in the middle of the room without any electrical access a bad idea or should I extend the riser to the closest wall just so I can run lighting/outlets?
  • I currently I have carpet down where the riser will go, should I install the riser over the carpet or should I have the carpet ripped up and install directly onto concrete?
  • I've seen a few threads with photos of their riser construction. If I used 2x8 studs, how far should you space them apart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-22-2013, 11:38 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 631
I have a riser and bar just as you describe in my basement.

I kick myself routinely for not trenching the concrete for electrical connections to the wall. I did that in another location in my basement and I just dropped the ball and didn't do it. Trenching involves using a big hammer (Jack hammer) drill to break up the concrete. running the line then filling the trench back up with concrete. One day job. You need to rent the hammer, it runs on 120V.

I ended up using a rubber cord cover (Corduct) that lays on the surface of the carpet.

You can leave the carpet as is just don't expect to remove the riser in the future and reuse the carpet, it will be crushed

studs 16 inches OC use two or three layers of decking material (OSB or plywood) to keep it quiet and stuff with insulation, think about step lights for safety.

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-22-2013, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
+ 1, but I' just extending one riser over to meet the wall.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page