CoolGeek's Concrete Bunker Home Theater Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 118 Old 01-05-2014, 02:25 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Most screens mount with a French cleat system and gravity. If you need to access the speakers you pick it up and set it aside.

In my case the fabric panel below the screen is also removable most of what I need to get to is accessible via that as a service hatch.
coolgeek likes this.

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 01-05-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Most screens mount with a French cleat system and gravity. If you need to access the speakers you pick it up and set it aside.

In my case the fabric panel below the screen is also removable most of what I need to get to is accessible via that as a service hatch.

+1

Thanks. smile.gif

post #93 of 118 Old 01-05-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
What Big said is what I do as well, but I have also seen people use piano hinges and lift the screen up. Then they place a prop bar or something to hold it up.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #94 of 118 Old 01-05-2014, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

What Big said is what I do as well, but I have also seen people use piano hinges and lift the screen up. Then they place a prop bar or something to hold it up.

I kinda of like JapanDave's model. His can be opened up like a door, swing sideways.. not sure how exacly he implemented it, hinges, magnets, etc???

post #95 of 118 Old 01-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Another vote for french cleat. I changed mine from store bought cleat/hangers to a french cleat I made myself from 1x6. DIY was much better and cheaper and very easy to do

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #96 of 118 Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can someone tell me what a french cleat is n where to buy it? Are there pics?

post #97 of 118 Old 01-07-2014, 05:03 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Google Z clips, they come from various vendors and in various lengths, Home Depot has them. IKEA has used them to hang kitchen cabinets. You can make one from pieces of wood cutting an angle on both pieces.

Pictures and Video here

http://www.eagle-aluminum.com/Eagle-Z-Clip_ep_42.html
coolgeek likes this.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #98 of 118 Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Google Z clips, they come from various vendors and in various lengths, Home Depot has them. IKEA has used them to hang kitchen cabinets. You can make one from pieces of wood cutting an angle on both pieces.

Pictures and Video here

http://www.eagle-aluminum.com/Eagle-Z-Clip_ep_42.html

Ah. Thanks. This looks like a plan

post #99 of 118 Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All the cables going thru my basement

post #100 of 118 Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Anything new?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #101 of 118 Old 04-24-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Anything new?

Just building the riser now. They are currently installing the elevator and tiling the bathrooms of the house. Will post some pics soon

post #102 of 118 Old 04-24-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek

Interesting read. I didn't even think about using diffusers. I was going to place 2 inch rockwool 80 on all walls n call it a day. It might be over absorbent.

Would you be willing to share the exact plan of your room and what u did?

Cool,
Remember your room is a concrete bunker and requires lots of absorbent material for that very reason. If you recall when I turned you on to JapanDaves build thread a bunker room.
Japandaves is a Denise Erskine design, and as I'm sure you noticed there is no mention of diffusers, just something to consider. I myself use diffusers in my room along with acoustical treatment such as ultra touch, roxul and common insulation at various locations. You also may want to ask JapanDave about this subject with regard to his plan. My room is more like
dlbecks room. My profile has photos.

dlbecks your build thread is fantastic! I am a big fan of your setup and design.

PeterV

Coolgeek,
I posted this at the savoy thread where you got into the subject of diffusers/treatment. Wanted you to see it.

PeterV
post #103 of 118 Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonleepenn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek

Interesting read. I didn't even think about using diffusers. I was going to place 2 inch rockwool 80 on all walls n call it a day. It might be over absorbent.

Would you be willing to share the exact plan of your room and what u did?

Cool,
Remember your room is a concrete bunker and requires lots of absorbent material for that very reason. If you recall when I turned you on to JapanDaves build thread a bunker room.
Japandaves is a Denise Erskine design, and as I'm sure you noticed there is no mention of diffusers, just something to consider. I myself use diffusers in my room along with acoustical treatment such as ultra touch, roxul and common insulation at various locations. You also may want to ask JapanDave about this subject with regard to his plan. My room is more like
dlbecks room. My profile has photos.

dlbecks your build thread is fantastic! I am a big fan of your setup and design.

PeterV

Coolgeek,
I posted this at the savoy thread where you got into the subject of diffusers/treatment. Wanted you to see it.

PeterV

Hi peter. Thanks for the heads up and info. I did look at japandaves build but he wasn't sure if it's a good idea to show me erskines design so I don't know what he did with the acoustics.

I was going to place 2 inches of roxul on all 3 walls from 3 feet up then saw dlbecks room and now not sure if its a good idea. It might turn my room into a dead zone.

Still confused

post #104 of 118 Old 04-25-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Odd that JapanDave's build thread fell silent after a promise to post update picks. Wish he would get to it.

My mind is foggy, but I think the rule of thumb is no more than 30% of your room wall surface covered in absorption.

Something I read in a post from BIG I believe. (Why oh why don't I book mark these little gems of wisdom.)

post #105 of 118 Old 04-25-2014, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Odd that JapanDave's build thread fell silent after a promise to post update picks. Wish he would get to it.

My mind is foggy, but I think the rule of thumb is no more than 30% of your room wall surface covered in absorption.

Something I read in a post from BIG I believe. (Why oh why don't I book mark these little gems of wisdom.)

I read that too... like 15-30%... but then it's hard to guess how much in a room... like carpets.. how do you count them? If you count them, then that's like used up all the 30% already... and if you put absorbers in the front wall (around the speakers), that's another 20% or so... and people say the back wall should be dead too.. so that's another 20% or so... what about ceiling?

It's all quite confusing..

And add to it, the Imax i go to seem to have absorbers on all walls.. i felt them all around behind the fabric...

post #106 of 118 Old 04-25-2014, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
If you get some 705 FRK, it'll do a good job of being a lower range absorber while giving some high range reflections. I would definitely put your planned budget into bass trapping and maybe just handle first order reflections with the standard stuff. Invest in some membrane type absorbers and place in every corner.
post #107 of 118 Old 04-25-2014, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccoleach View Post

If you get some 705 FRK, it'll do a good job of being a lower range absorber while giving some high range reflections. I would definitely put your planned budget into bass trapping and maybe just handle first order reflections with the standard stuff. Invest in some membrane type absorbers and place in every corner.

I keep hearing these 'membrane' type thing you use for bass traps... what exactly are they? are they sheets of plastic, plywood, rubber?? i intend to use my riser as a bass trap and have a opening at the bottom and then fill that out with roxul... the riser is 6 feet deep so it'll make a good bass trap.. but should i put that 'membrane' thing to cover that opening or let the carpet close it?

What about these?

Place these on the side walls and then put the roxul behind. They have small gaps for sound to get thru and most will be reflected back...

post #108 of 118 Old 04-25-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
From what i gather here, i wouldn't attempt a Riser Bass Trap unless someone specifically designs it for you, as they can definitely cause much more harm if done wrong.

There's a bit more to a membrane trap, but read up. http://audioundone.com/do-it-yourself-bass-traps

I simply don't want to have things lost in translation, so it's best you read up on it yourself. searching the topic on here will generate lots of results. I can't stress enough the ample time it takes to research everything is much more valuable then trying to do it yourself, and find out after the work is done you did it all for nothing.

Also, some people (Like Ethan, who wrote the article above) offer various levels of paid consultation, and for me personally, this has been worth it's price 10 fold.
post #109 of 118 Old 04-25-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Frankly, I think basic sound treatment that will get you 90% of perfection isn't really all that complicated.
Getting that last 10% is likely going to require a professional with some heavy duty measuring equipment and calibration tools.
Good luck on which ever path you choose.

post #110 of 118 Old 04-25-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Hi peter. Thanks for the heads up and info. I did look at japandaves build but he wasn't sure if it's a good idea to show me erskines design so I don't know what he did with the acoustics.

I was going to place 2 inches of roxul on all 3 walls from 3 feet up then saw dlbecks room and now not sure if its a good idea. It might turn my room into a dead zone.

Still confused

Cool,
My point is to convey you have a unique room in that it is a concrete bunker, and because of such it will cause problems that other rooms may not with regard to acoustics.
Concrete is not the best material for sound , sound will bounce around like a pinball if you don't addressed this. The reason I mention this is because once you seal things up
It can cost you money to correct the issue. There is a reason for having different materials in a room, one room may be to lively in sound and another to dead sounding.
Balance in materials is very important. In your case the room may be to live and need more absorption.smile.gif. Just for thought!

PeterV
post #111 of 118 Old 05-28-2014, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just happened to stumble on this thread (while reading about S2). Now i'm curious on the setup and review too biggrin.gif
post #112 of 118 Old 05-28-2014, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbyte View Post

Just happened to stumble on this thread (while reading about S2). Now i'm curious on the setup and review too biggrin.gif

Actually the theater is not ready yet.

I don't own the S2. I own the orbit shifter and it's phenomenal.

I would actually prefer the S2 if I can afford 2 of them as that will equal the output of a single os above 20hz.

post #113 of 118 Old 09-27-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Coolgeek,

How are things going? Haven't seen any posts for a while hope you're making progress.

Nabs17
post #114 of 118 Old 09-27-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh.. I didn't know anyone's following this thread... well, the house renovation took a lot longer than I thought.. it's finally almost done (kitchen, floor, some electrical, lights, etc, stuff still ongoing)...

I should be starting on the Basement HT next week... with acoustics threatment first...

post #115 of 118 Old 09-27-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonleepenn View Post

My point is to convey you have a unique room in that it is a concrete bunker, and because of such it will cause problems that other rooms may not with regard to acoustics.
Concrete is not the best material for sound , sound will bounce around like a pinball if you don't addressed this.
It's not all bad. It's well sealed and a perfect foundation for the low bass to kick off from. But yes, there's plenty of job to do in the other side to make sure as little as possible comes back again. But for everyone wanting to dig into the low infrasonics, a concrete bunker is a great place to start.
coolgeek likes this.

Under construction:
post #116 of 118 Old 09-27-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Oh.. I didn't know anyone's following this thread... well, the house renovation took a lot longer than I thought.. it's finally almost done (kitchen, floor, some electrical, lights, etc, stuff still ongoing)...

I should be starting on the Basement HT next week... with acoustics threatment first...
Yes sir....i'm following. Always interested in a fellow JTR owners adventures. I can't figure out how to subscribe or I would do that.

Nabs17
post #117 of 118 Old 09-27-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Yes sir....i'm following. Always interested in a fellow JTR owners adventures. I can't figure out how to subscribe or I would do that.
Near the top of this thread, do you see towards the right side 'Thread Tools v'? Click on the down arrow, then select 'Subscribe to this Thread'

post #118 of 118 Old 09-27-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Near the top of this thread, do you see towards the right side 'Thread Tools v'? Click on the down arrow, then select 'Subscribe to this Thread'
Got it...thanks and I am subscribed.

Nabs17
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr5010 9 2 Channel Thx Certified Network A V Receiver , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - Nr5010 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page