The Pixelated Theater Room - AVS Forum
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > The Pixelated Theater Room
crunchycrop's Avatar crunchycrop 02:28 AM 07-24-2013
Hi guys!

Im new here in the AVS forums but I've been viewing the DIY home theaters in the forums. Seeing all those awesome home theaters made us want to convert our family room into one too biggrin.gif

Our old family room is pretty much due for a renovation. The teared up carpet, moldy couch, cracked walls made it very uninviting to say the least tongue.gif

I'd like to share the new designs for our home theater and any feedback would be great! Seeing as how this is the first time we delve into the exciting world of home theaters, i find myself scratching my head a lot and worry i might wake up to find myself bald from scratching all my hair off! biggrin.gif

So here are the design and plans for our theater rooom:

I saw this image on the net and loved the idea of it as a pattern and acoustic treatment at the same time:

So I was thinking of rigid fiberglass board cut in hexagonal shapes then wrapped in fabric and mounted on the wall.

Any thoughts?

Our current room has gypsum walls but there are no acoustic treatment put in between the walls. Are acoustic panels enough for the room? I would rather avoid having to redo all the walls if i could to save costs.

I was also thinking if i should add acoustic boards to the ceiling to help with absorption.

I really am clueless with acoustics and id really appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks smile.gif

Nightlord's Avatar Nightlord 02:40 AM 07-24-2013
First thought... have you counted the number you will need and considered the amount of work?
JRock3x8's Avatar JRock3x8 03:41 AM 07-24-2013
is that THREE rows of seating? #wow
Tedd's Avatar Tedd 05:28 AM 07-24-2013
How tall is the room? Is this a standard 8' tall room?

Will the entry door interfere with the front speaker? ( And also shrink the screen real estate.)

The room is 13.5 x 20.5' and that's tight for three rows. Do you really need seating for ten or would two rows be fine?

I am not a fan of the white walls, but like the bold geometrics and colors. At the very least, I'd do some blacked wing panels to past the door,
before starting the geometric panel.

The throw distance to the third row means careful speaker selection. And have you considered the heat load of the gear and ten bodies?
You NEED a solid HVAC plan.
mleclair's Avatar mleclair 07:06 AM 07-24-2013
I am planning out a room almost the same size! How big is your screen going to be? I don't think I can do 3 rows of seating in mine for the screen size I am planning.

Is that an AC unit on the side?

Where are you from that you are posting at 2 am Central time?
crunchycrop's Avatar crunchycrop 08:09 AM 07-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

First thought... have you counted the number you will need and considered the amount of work?

I havent made an actual count yet but im guessing it'll be about 80 pieces. The amount of work will be tedious but im figuring its gonna be worth it for the aesthetic value tongue.gif . My concern right now is more on the effectiveness of it as an acoustic treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

How tall is the room? Is this a standard 8' tall room?

Will the entry door interfere with the front speaker? ( And also shrink the screen real estate.)

The room is 13.5 x 20.5' and that's tight for three rows. Do you really need seating for ten or would two rows be fine?

I am not a fan of the white walls, but like the bold geometrics and colors. At the very least, I'd do some blacked wing panels to past the door,
before starting the geometric panel.

The throw distance to the third row means careful speaker selection. And have you considered the heat load of the gear and ten bodies?
You NEED a solid HVAC plan.

The room has a 8.6' ceiling.

Hmm come to think of it, the door might get in the way of the screen/ sound. Switching the door to a sliding door might be a better solution. (Thanks for pointing that out smile.gif )

We need the seating for ten for the whole family. Yup with the three rows, itll be a tight fit but i think it can turn out just right to be a cozy space.

Right now we are going to be using our old sound system : Bose Lifestyle 5.1 surround sound. And our existing 2hp window type aircon.

oh and what do you mean by blacked wing panels? biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleclair View Post

I am planning out a room almost the same size! How big is your screen going to be? I don't think I can do 3 rows of seating in mine for the screen size I am planning.

Is that an AC unit on the side?

Where are you from that you are posting at 2 am Central time?

Hi there! Im from the philippines smile.gif It was in the afternoon when i made the post.

My screen is going to be around 100". Yup thats a window type AC on the side.
Nightlord's Avatar Nightlord 10:54 AM 07-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchycrop View Post

I havent made an actual count yet but im guessing it'll be about 80 pieces. The amount of work will be tedious but im figuring its gonna be worth it for the aesthetic value tongue.gif . My concern right now is more on the effectiveness of it as an acoustic treatment.

Yeah, I got that... Just wanted to make sure there wasn't an aspect you skipped that would bite you later on.

That it will be better than no treatment at all I'm sure of, whether another treatment would be better... More difficult, but quite possibly. Whether the gain of the other one would be so great that it overshadowed the feelgood of creating something you really like? No idea at all, but hopefully not.
Tags: Bose R 5 1 Lifestyle 48 Series Iii Dvd Home Entertainment System Black
Up
Mobile  Desktop