Humdity problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-25-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in a very dry climate but I've run into an odd humidity problem.

My theater is located below the garage (suspended slab garage floor) and it's the lowest part of the house, including about 5' lower than the rest of the basement. Even during the summer when it's very dry and there is low humidity (the upstairs is below 50% humidity and the basement, which is unfinished, sits at about 55%. Because the rest of the basement is unfinished and because of pets we have to leave the door to the basement open, but the door down to the theater closed, all the cold air and humidity go to the theater. The theater has a heat pump for heating and cooling but the rest of the basement has no heating or cooling since it is not yet finished.

The humidity in the theater reaches 70% in the summer and about 80% during the winter. If I crack the theater door it goes to about 65% humidity and if I put a fan in the door, it goes to 57% humidity.

I think I have two choices and this is where I need help.

Option one is to get a dehumidifier but there is no water drain in the theater and that's a fair bit of extra power.
The second option would be to unseal the theater and build a hush box for a fan and continually vent the air in the theater with the rest of the home.

I'm leaning towards option 2 because the rest of the home has lower humidity, especially during the winter, and eventually the basement will be finished.

I'm also not sure what size of fan would be really needed to just keep the air from getting stale and humid down there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 PM

Liked: 19
De-Humidifier with a pump? $250 for 70 pint on amazon, pushes the water up out of a small hose to the outside. $20/month to run. I had the exact same problem. Not sure I'd push humid basement air into the house.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by distoga View Post

The theater has a heat pump for heating and cooling but the rest of the basement has no heating or cooling since it is not yet finished.

Option one is to get a dehumidifier but there is no water drain in the theater and that's a fair bit of extra power.

The air handler for the heat pump should have a condensate pump to the outside for the water generated by the A/C when cooling. There is a float switch in the condensate pump and it pumps the water to outside when it gets over a certain level. The condensate pump doesn't know or care where the water that fills it comes from. The room dehumidifiers with a pump will push the water ~15' (check model specs). I ran the small rubber hose from the dehumidifier to the basement A/C condensate pump and let it pump the water outside.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Liked: 19
I had that setup too, worked great until the condensate pump failed and although the AC unit shut off because of the safety on the pump, the dehumidifier kept running and put about 30 gallons of water in the basement before I found it;/ YMMV
post #5 of 5 Old 07-26-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 270
You can use a relay to turn off the dehumidifier with the float switch as well. That would be more of a permanent installation, though. Not something you would typically see with a free standing dehumidifier you get down at the big orange/blue DIY store.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page