AC in Equipment room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-26-2013, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, HT is mostly finished, and we are watching movies. I have a 5 x 5 room for all the equipment, 10ft ceiling. We put an AC duct with return and a silent fan. I have the fan on an electronic gauge that will turn it on when room hits 80". A/C is tied to HT which is zoned separately from rest of the house.

The room is located in the back of the HT and has a door. I keep the eq room door open when the HT is not in use, but when we watch a movie, it has to be closed for noise and lights.

The room gets HOT, like in the 90's with the fan going. When I touch the equipment they are very very warm. All the equipment is located in a rack to that adds to the temp of the gear. There are 4 amps, plus associated gear in that room.

I've tossed around the idea of putting a mini-split unit in the room, something around 9-12k BTU.
Does anyone have any experience with these types of units?
Is 9K btu enough, should I go with the 12k?
I've looked at the Mit Mr Slim (Cool Only) series. On quiet mode the specs say they are < 20db... This is probably quieter than the fan that is running in there during the movie.

If you have an experience with this please let me know.

Thanks,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-26-2013, 10:19 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Before I would invest in a mini split, I would try up-sizing your current set up (bigger fan), Also lower the trigger temperature so it doesn't have to play catch up. Set it one degree above what you set your theater room at.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Ok, I'll try that.

I was wondering, since I have a "silent bathroom style" fan in the room, and an a/c duct and return. When the fan is on would it just pull air from the a/c duct instead of lower down where the equipment is?

Should I tape off the return for that room and shut down the a/c duct and just try the vent? Then it possibly would pull more air from lower around the equipment.

Tony
post #4 of 14 Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'm confused what is the fan connected to? It should be either the supply or return not a third duct going god knows where.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-27-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
1. What make and model of fan is installed?
2. What is the source of make-up air for the equipment room when the fan is running and the door is closed?
post #6 of 14 Old 07-27-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Currently I have a NuTone QTXEN080 Ultra Silent 80CFM fan that is vented outside thru ductwork in the ceiling (There is a vent on the roof of the house). We had it put in when we built the house. It is vented just like in a bathroom. It does not go into an A/C duct.

We do not really have any place for air to coming in except under the door there is about an 1/2" gap from floor to bottom of the door.

The HT has a small 5 x 5 equipment room in the back. There are no windows in this room. We put the HT on a separate zone, and one of the ducts and return are located in the closet. The thermostat is out in the HT. This way we can control the temp in the HT separate from the rest of the house.

The NuTone is hooked up to our Omni IIe with an electric thermostat that monitors the closet. If it gets too hot it is automatically turned on.

Honestly, never thought about the make up air, too many things to think of during construction. I guess I could add additional venting in the bottom of the door...? This is why I'm starting to wonder if the fan is just pulling air from the A/C duct sitting about foot away and not really clearing the hot air out of the room.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-27-2013, 06:29 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

So basically you are paying to cool down some air and send it to the equipment room, then you immediately pull it out of the room and send it through the roof. Brilliant.

Do you have room to attach an uninsulated metal flex duct to the AC supply and route it to the floor immediately under your rack?
You also mentioned you have a retun in the room, where is it located? I'd put the fan powering the return and send the supply to the floor. Close of the exhaust fan duct trough the ceiling. When you use the theater always turn the HVAC fan on even if you don't need cooling. That will circulate the air in the equipment room.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-27-2013, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the suggestions.

I closed off the A/C return in the room.
I'll have to look into ducting the A/C vent to the bottom of the room, didnt think of that, nice idea.

I did try this evening closing off all the A/C openings and just let the exhaust fan pull air from the HT room, it was better but equipment stayed cooler than before, but not where I'd like it.

Def need to separate the return and vent otherwise it appear i'm only cooling upper cpl feet of the room. I told the contractor I needed extra cooling and venting that is what I got. Cannot always rely on them knowing whats up.

Tony
post #9 of 14 Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

every cu ft of air you pull out the ceiling and send through the roof has to be replaced by hot humid Florida air that needs to sneak into your house through available drafts. I'd move the fan and pull the hot dry air out and send it back to the AC unit via the return.
jautor likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You could always direct the exhaust fan into the return of your hvac system but don't send that air outside, remember that every single cubic inch of air you remove from a room needs to be replaced or you will not have air flow and will not have any effect on cooling at all. You may also want to dead vent the room, or simply open the ac vents both return and supply and run the fan on the ac system that should give you air flow through that room to help with cooling.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-12-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves View Post
You could always direct the exhaust fan into the return of your hvac system but don't send that air outside, remember that every single cubic inch of air you remove from a room needs to be replaced or you will not have air flow and will not have any effect on cooling at all. You may also want to dead vent the room, or simply open the ac vents both return and supply and run the fan on the ac system that should give you air flow through that room to help with cooling.
I have a similar situation. I have an enclosed equipment room in front of my theater (5x19x8) which gets quite warm when watching a movie or listening to music. There is an AC outlet in the room but the thermostat is in the theater which stays much cooler so does not run enough to cool the equipment room. I was thinking about installing one of these but had not thought about supplying air for the fan to remove. I was going to install the intake vent directly above my equipment rack and either dump the air into the attic, or if necessary, tie it into a return duct somewhere in the attic. There is a thermostat available which I may or may not use. I have no issue with just keeping the exhaust fan on any time I use the theater.

Comments?

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
post #12 of 14 Old 06-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I have a similar situation. I have an enclosed equipment room in front of my theater (5x19x8) which gets quite warm when watching a movie or listening to music. There is an AC outlet in the room but the thermostat is in the theater which stays much cooler so does not run enough to cool the equipment room. I was thinking about installing one of these but had not thought about supplying air for the fan to remove. I was going to install the intake vent directly above my equipment rack and either dump the air into the attic, or if necessary, tie it into a return duct somewhere in the attic. There is a thermostat available which I may or may not use. I have no issue with just keeping the exhaust fan on any time I use the theater.

Comments?
The fan will get the air moving, I wouldn't dump it into the attic, into a return would be a better bet, remember you will need to supply air into the room to replace the exhausted air.

If you push the air into your attic you'll just be pulling in air through all the cracks and openings in your home causing your entire HVAC system to be less efficient.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-12-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is your equipment room sealed/"air tight"?

John
post #14 of 14 Old 07-02-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post
Is your equipment room sealed/"air tight"?
Very sealed (other than an AC vent with no return). The door into the room from the theater is very tightly sealed and the one into the attic is also tightly sealed. are 3 west facing windows which I covered with OC 2 inch pink board with an rating of about 10. That has helped when the equipment is not on. It is only when the equipment is on and the door to the theater closed that the heat builds up, particularly when my PC music server is running.

I have been told by two AC guys to NOT take the air from a room exhaust fan I might install into the return of the HVAC system of the house. I have one Heat Pump system, a thermostat downstairs and one in the theater. It uses some kind of damper system to control air flow to either the upstairs and/or downstairs. I was told that since I would be taking the heated air back into the AC system that it would have to work harder??? (what do I know). I was also told to NOT vent to the outside since the humidity of the outside (live near Atlanta, GA) would have access to the room as well as any other in-climate conditions.

If I run the fan on the AC unit (On rather than Auto), even if the unit is not running the AC system due to the cooler temperatures in the theater, I assume that would provide the necessary air input into the equipment room that the yet to be installed exhaust fan would need to run. Correct?

(I have since been told that running the blower is not necessary to supply air into the room for the exhaust fan to make use of. If the new exhaust fan creates a negative pressure by extracting air, air sitting in the AC vent and all of the other connected vents will be sucked into the room in order to maintain equilibrium.

What about this unit.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz

Last edited by audioguy; 07-03-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page