Help with soffit/wall construction! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-27-2013, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please see attached picture. Basically I have an HVAC return duct the runs the length of the RH side of my planned theater area. I plan to construct a soffit around this hvac duct, and continue the soffit around the perimeter of the room for symetrics. The wall on the RH side of the room has to sit approximately 9.5" away from the concrete foundation wall so it will clear the furnace. The top of the wall on the RH side will sit right below the HVAC ducting with no way to really attach it to anything. It will be 9.5" away from the concrete wall so I suppose the only way to really attach it to the wall would be to attach the 2x4 spacers to the concrete wall, then use IB3 clips to attach studded wall to the spacers. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I also have the dilemma of building the soffit around the HVAC ducting and attaching it to the ceiling as well as the wall. I plan to use IB3 clips to attach the top plate of the studded walls to the joists (where I can) and use IB1 clips with hat channel for the ceiling. Everything will be 5/8" DD with green glue. R13 in the walls and R19 in the ceilings.

One other question regarding insulation. My studded walls will be 24" OC. I had planned on using R13 for the walls but I'm having a hard time finding the 24" wide UNFACED R13. I have found the faced though. I have also found the 24" wide UNFACED R19 as well. I plan on leaving the pictured vapor barrier in place against the concrete walls. So with that in mind, should I use faced R13 or unfaced R19 in the walls?

Anyone that could offer some advice would be greatly appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-28-2013, 02:18 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Build you wall and stand it up where you want it an use something to temporarily keep it plumb. Then screw stand offs running horizontally from every other stud to one inch shy of the concrete and then attach the standoffs to the foundation wall with IB3 clips using concrete anchors.

There are other ways this will work.

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
post #3 of 4 Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Build you wall and stand it up where you want it an use something to temporarily keep it plumb. Then screw stand offs running horizontally from every other stud to one inch shy of the concrete and then attach the standoffs to the foundation wall with IB3 clips using concrete anchors.

There are other ways this will work.

Thank you sir for the response. Another idea I had come up with is to remove that 6' section of vapor barrier against the foundation wall and build a studded wall, attach it to the foundation wall, then attach the theater studded wall to the first wall with IB3 clips. However, your idea requires less lumber. Would you leave the vapor barrier in place and just drill through it when attaching the IB3 clip to the wall?

And as far as insulation, would you run the unfaced R19 or faced R13 in the walls?

post #4 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 02:51 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Just remove a small patch and attach your anchors. Use unfaced wherever there is an existing barrier and in that picture you might just as well use all unfaced.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page