How do you secure your screen wall/fabric panels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-28-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So I've finally finished most of my screen wall panels and I've realized I need to sort out how to securely fix them to the wall before attempting the last one that goes above the screen, so I thought I'd appeal for help from this illustrious group and pose the question:
How did you secure your fabric panels to your screen wall such that they can be removed when necessary?
Thanks! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Current screen wall shot with three of the four panels completed:
post #3 of 17 Old 07-28-2013, 06:42 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Velcro or often just friction fit
post #4 of 17 Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Velcro or often just friction fit
Thanks, I did that for all the curtain wall panels but I'm not sure it'll hold the screen ones as they're pretty large, my real concern is about the one that will be above the screen.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Sides and bottom I did friction fit, top I used ball/socket speaker grill connectors.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
all four of my panels are friction fit. the top is very thin only about 1 1/2 inch wide and the side panels are maybe 3" wide so i did not need any Velcro to hold them in place i could see if the panels where larger i would have used small dabs of Velcro to everything tight and in place
post #7 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Industrial velcro works great. I buy it on the roll and cut to required length. A few 4-6" pieces are all that is required. Tip is to leave the glue to cure overnight before removing or repositioning the panels otherwise the glue will just pull away from the fabric / wood it is stuck to.

Now though I use fabric track rather than panels. Easier and quicker. Fix the fabric track around the perimeter of the area to be covered then stretch fabric over it.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I'll give Velcro another try, I think I need to use it in the corners so that I get a better connection.
I'm still not sure if that'll be enough to hold the top panel as it's over 13 feet long by about two feet wide an made out of 1.5"x0.75" furring(?) strips.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Sides and bottom I did friction fit, top I used ball/socket speaker grill connectors.
Hi Brad
That's what I thought, any chance you can remember where you got the ball/socket connectors from?
Thanks again for your help. smile.gif
post #10 of 17 Old 07-30-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
They're from parts-express:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-367

Oh, and after dealing with the one long floppy panel at the bottom, with a joint in the framing, I instead did two panels above the screen, can't tell that it's two pieces unless your nose is right up close to it.

And you're welcome! smile.gif
post #11 of 17 Old 07-31-2013, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat444 View Post

Thanks I'll give Velcro another try, I think I need to use it in the corners so that I get a better connection.
I'm still not sure if that'll be enough to hold the top panel as it's over 13 feet long by about two feet wide an made out of 1.5"x0.75" furring(?) strips.

Velcro is fine. This is the stuff you want: http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Sticky-4-Inch-25-Yard-White/dp/B000B836RK. Separate reels for hook and loop. You can also staple the hook or loop tape to the wood with a gun, that way it will never come off.

I've hung a 12ft piece before with only four six inch pieces. No problems.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-04-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for their help, I went for a combination of friction and Velcro and am very happy to be done.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-24-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

Industrial velcro works great. I buy it on the roll and cut to required length. A few 4-6" pieces are all that is required. Tip is to leave the glue to cure overnight before removing or repositioning the panels otherwise the glue will just pull away from the fabric / wood it is stuck to.

Now though I use fabric track rather than panels. Easier and quicker. Fix the fabric track around the perimeter of the area to be covered then stretch fabric over it.

Curious whether you have ever used fabric track WITH Velcro?   My thought is if you wanted to reposition/redesign the panel layout later, you could use all the same Fabric Tracks (which, I guess if you screw on you could too).   Do you use Fabric mate tracks or another kind?   Ever used canvas stretcher frames/bars?   They 'appear' less expensive than the tracks, fast to assemble, but still require stapling the fabric.

Thanks!

post #14 of 17 Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post

Curious whether you have ever used fabric track WITH Velcro?   My thought is if you wanted to reposition/redesign the panel layout later, you could use all the same Fabric Tracks (which, I guess if you screw on you could too).   Do you use Fabric mate tracks or another kind?   Ever used canvas stretcher frames/bars?   They 'appear' less expensive than the tracks, fast to assemble, but still require stapling the fabric.

Thanks!

I don't think velcro would work. There is a fair bit of tension with a track system and I think it would just pull the track off. If you want to reposition then use screws. I use the FabricMate track. I have not used canvas stretchers...what are those?

post #15 of 17 Old 04-24-2014, 10:07 AM

Liked: 11
If your way fails, z clips are the way to go to hang any kind of panel. About 15 bucks for an 8 foot piece at home depot. Good luck
post #16 of 17 Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

I don't think velcro would work. There is a fair bit of tension with a track system and I think it would just pull the track off. If you want to reposition then use screws. I use the FabricMate track. I have not used canvas stretchers...what are those?

The canvas stretchers are for artists... This link references one place, but if you google, you can find a bunch. These come in all kinds of lengths, so they should be able to used fairly easily on most projects. I don't remember which site, but the 60" length one's in a bundle of 50 were something like $4.90 a piece. The fabric mate web-site pricing looks a lot higher. One other thing with these, us that if you have larger panels, you need to buy cross braces as well, which adds to the cost. I am still in the early planning stages, so,
I don't have lots of information. I haven't looked enough to even know if there are different edge profiles.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768967&highlight=fabric+frames
post #17 of 17 Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post

The canvas stretchers are for artists... This link references one place, but if you google, you can find a bunch. These come in all kinds of lengths, so they should be able to used fairly easily on most projects. I don't remember which site, but the 60" length one's in a bundle of 50 were something like $4.90 a piece. The fabric mate web-site pricing looks a lot higher. One other thing with these, us that if you have larger panels, you need to buy cross braces as well, which adds to the cost. I am still in the early planning stages, so,
I don't have lots of information. I haven't looked enough to even know if there are different edge profiles.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768967&highlight=fabric+frames

Nice, that looks cool. Making your own frames is piece of cake though, just some dimensional lumber and a few screws smile.gif

I like fabric track because it's very quick to do the fabric stretch. Quicker for me than stapling 100s of staples whilst trying to maintain tension on the fabric. With the fabric track you just rough cut to size, tuck it in, trim the excess and then do a final tuck.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page